Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ian P.

Re: Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Brilliant....
I have looked at the scoops and can not figure out where they dump to. The air flow must go somewhere. From the picture there are two small openings on the underside of the crash structure but these are way too small. To do what the difuser is supposed to do the outlet of the scoops would beed to be at least double the area of the inlet.
Can only guess they dump into an upper section that exhausts above the main diffuser.

Now for something completely different ....a man with a.....no, no, not that...
What about those fans in the wheels...is this a Monaco specific brake cooling feature...have we seen these on any other cars this season....??
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

hecti

Ian P. wrote:Brilliant....
I have looked at the scoops and can not figure out where they dump to. The air flow must go somewhere. From the picture there are two small openings on the underside of the crash structure but these are way too small. To do what the difuser is supposed to do the outlet of the scoops would beed to be at least double the area of the inlet.
Can only guess they dump into an upper section that exhausts above the main diffuser.

Now for something completely different ....a man with a.....no, no, not that...
What about those fans in the wheels...is this a Monaco specific brake cooling feature...have we seen these on any other cars this season....??
It goes over the top of the diffuser, the holes on the top are bigger than the ones on the bottom.

PlatinumZealot

Red bull seems to "Scoop" in some of the air to the upper diffuser.
Scooping in the air to the upper diffuser must take away from the main stream of air going to the main diffuser.. So It also lowers the pressure under the main diffuser at the same time. (right?)

Maclaren Has "Side entry" .. the vertical holes are parallel to the flow, like a NACA duct correct?

How do you compare this solution to the Redbull scoop?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

paused

aguri wrote:New RBR5 DDD feeder:
I bet AN and team are very unhappy having their floor and diffuser so clearly exposed. They must be cursing the cranes in Monaco lifting the car so high

D'Leh

paused wrote:
*pic*
I bet AN and team are very unhappy having their floor and diffuser so clearly exposed. They must be cursing the cranes in Monaco lifting the car so high
Haha yeah, I bet Newey is a little bit mad about the young German right now considering how avoidable the accident was. But I thank him. Very interesting picture to see. :mrgreen:

ISLAMATRON

anyone go a clearer pic of the McL pics?

enkidu

Fantastic I love this site!!

I think the mclaren just does not look so good on the underside.

I'd love to see the brawn!

modbaraban

enkidu wrote:I'd love to see the brawn!
They just refused crashing out. Sorry. :mrgreen:

mstar

for sure i guess we never see the floor of the brawn, i still maintain Brawns car is a great piece of engineering. I think in the ferrari days ross always used to say for a race/championship winning car u need every part of the car to be the better or close to other best cars on the grid.

brawn DDD for me is the most researched out of the field, obviously we cannot get figures from all teams on downforce generated but its worth noting the brawn is much better at looking after its rear tyres and its speed in slow corners is the best. I am also not convinced the DDD is the ultimate secret of the brawn its just simply designed around that concept so all the parts just work with the concept without compromises like redbull/ferrari/mclaren etc have to do.

Has anyone got any pics of the Force India solution? i tried to look in the pits in Monaco but couldn't see, i heard its a cross between the brawn/mclaren???

mstar

D'Leh wrote:
paused wrote:
*pic*
Haha yeah, I bet Newey is a little bit mad about the young German right now considering how avoidable the accident was. But I thank him. Very interesting picture to see. :mrgreen:

Does the arrangement and introduction of the redbull DDD have any impact on the tyre wear? it could simply be vettel chasing qualy set-up as webber was ok.

modbaraban

mstar wrote:Has anyone got any pics of the Force India solution? i tried to look in the pits in Monaco but couldn't see, i heard its a cross between the brawn/mclaren???

allstaruk08

i lightened these pics up so they're more clear hope they help y'all with the McLaren diffuser Image

jjn9128

Reigniting an ancient thread for this beauty!! First time I've seen the DDD intake so clearly and from this angle.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 16:46

Reigniting an ancient thread for this beauty!! First time I've seen the DDD intake so clearly and from this angle.
Is that a Renault floor?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 17:11
jjn9128 wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 16:46

Is that a Renault floor?
Toyota
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica