Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
El Presidente

Re: 2009 Difusser Rule Interpretation

Toyota seem to be using asymetrical diffuser, don't think we have seen that before.

imightbewrong

BGP diffuser, double decker it seems:

ESPImperium

Brawn GP BGP001 Diffuser:

Scotracer

Some new diffuser shots:

FW31:

R29:

F1.09:

F60:

MP4-24:

Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Gecko

In the words of Max Mosley on some of the diffusers: ""It is a curious idea in a way - where you are not allowed two surfaces, you have a surface and then something that is not a surface because it is unsprung. The view on our technical people is that it is okay, we will wait and see if someone challenges it."

Now this strikes me as odd. If a thing is unsprung, it must somehow be connected to the suspension elements then? Or is Max simply mixing things up here?

Timstr

According to Briatore there are three teams with illegal diffusers.
The 3rd team he's talking about has to be Brawn than.

axle

Timstr wrote:According to Briatore there are three teams with illegal diffusers.
Flavio cries foul everytime his team are out thought and out done. He should manage a spec formula not F1 where innovation rules.
- Axle

NDR008

axle wrote:
Timstr wrote:According to Briatore there are three teams with illegal diffusers.
Flavio cries foul everytime his team are out thought and out done. He should manage a spec formula not F1 where innovation rules.
He is still rightly pissed off over his mass-damper being banned - Renault have been more cautious regarding rules and you can see why. However I agree with him that things get banned/declared legal to spontaneously - clear cut rules or a fairer way of banning things would reduce the screaming and shouting. Don't forget F1 R&D is probably the highest cost - thinking that for exmaple 'researching the diffuser in a certain way' is illegal and finding your rivals have done what you thought to be illegal - a proper piss taking moment - you would feel like "*&£$ I understood it as illegal - we had the time and money to do that instead of the --- we did" (and this type of reasoning goes for anyone).

It is not a case of "OOOO - that is smart - I didn't think of that".

Metar

News from the FIA:

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulati ... nship.aspx

ARTICLE 3 : BODYWORK AND DIMENSIONS

(Ammemndment 18/03/09 (Mav)):

One of the purposes of the regulations under Article 3 below is to minimize the detrimental effect that the wake of
a car may have on a following car.
Furthermore, infinite precision can be assumed on certain dimensions provided it is clear that such an assumption
is not being made in order to circumvent or subvert the intention of the relevant regulation.

Effectively, doesn't think mean the FIA have banned the Brawn diffuser?

Conceptual

Metar wrote:News from the FIA:

One of the purposes of the regulations under Article 3 below is to minimize the detrimental effect that the wake of
Furthermore, infinite precision can be assumed on certain dimensions provided it is clear that such an assumption
is not being made in order to circumvent or subvert the intention of the relevant regulation.

As was said, this has been done for a few years now, and some thought the new rules made them illegal (obviously Symonds at Renault who was the one to suggest de-coupling the rear wing and diffusor), but when these other teams went to the FIA for clarification BEFORE degign was began to get the OK, they effectively can argue that they sought clarification from the governing body, and was assured as to its legality.

I sincerely hope the other teams just jump on and make their own, because if Melbourne starts as a protested race and the winner/points scorers are removed, I don't think that I'd care to even watch the rest of the season.

I've already seen all of that song and dance that I care to, ya know?

Scotracer

So they've added a vague ruling to a vague regulation....yeah that'll help :wtf: :|
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

shir0

Metar wrote:News from the FIA:

Well in this case then, then I think Williams' and Toyota's interpretations are effectively incorrect and illegal.

Brawn's interpretation is a different matter altogether. Their interpretation of the same rule is brilliant!

The tests for "precision" prescribed by the relevant rule: ...Any intersection of the surfaces in this area with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car

...any bodywork in this area must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances.

However which way you look at it, Brawn's diffuser passes these while Toyota's and Williams' are very shady. That "curvy" surface on the Brawn Diffuser is A SINGLE SURFACE. Pass any (longitudinal/lateral) vertical plane unto that diffuser surface and you will get a single continous line.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

ISLAMATRON

Gecko wrote:In the words of Max Mosley on some of the diffusers: ""It is a curious idea in a way - where you are not allowed two surfaces, you have a surface and then something that is not a surface because it is unsprung. The view on our technical people is that it is okay, we will wait and see if someone challenges it."

Now this strikes me as odd. If a thing is unsprung, it must somehow be connected to the suspension elements then? Or is Max simply mixing things up here?
Yeah I caught that too, Max showing his lack of understanding?

Ruudje

Well in this case then, then I think Williams' and Toyota's interpretations are effectively incorrect and illegal.

Brawn's interpretation is a different matter altogether. Their interpretation of the same rule is brilliant!

The tests for "precision" prescribed by the relevant rule: ...Any intersection of the surfaces in this area with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car

...any bodywork in this area must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances.

However which way you look at it, Brawn's diffuser passes these while Toyota's and Williams' are very shady. That "curvy" surface on the Brawn Diffuser is A SINGLE SURFACE. Pass any (longitudinal/lateral) vertical plane unto that diffuser surface and you will get a single continous line.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you try to explain?

When Looking at this picture:
how is different from:

please enlighten me! :)

Ruudje

btw: mclaren's new: