Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bar555

Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009

GP AUSTRALIA

FRONT WING

Brawn features a very innovative front wing. Situated very low at the front, the wing boasts sophisticated endplates (1), divided into two sections to better direct the airflow (purple arrows). An inventive horizontal splitter (2) creates a kind of venturi effect under the chassis, while the steering arm (3) has been located level with the lower wishbone to lower the centre of gravity. The engineers have also added a small spoiler (4) to each side of the nose cone. ( From www.f1.com )

REAR WING

1.Gills
2.Conection elements
3.Endplates have a deep cut at their rear upper part
4.The curved front-lower edge is able to free the airflow passing close to the rear suspension's upper wishbones, hence reducing the turbulence and resulting drag in this area

NOSE CONE END HOLE

The hole at the tip of the nose helps cooling nose cone electronics and cockpit ventilation

DIFFUSER

Brawn have a quite different central channel to their diffuser, with the shape of the deformable structure being used to create a sort of double-decker (black arrows) design. However, the most important and controversial aspect is that to work properly this section of the diffuser needs to be fed by air. Highlighted in yellow, you can easily see the hole in the reference plane (red arrow), which actually starts far further forward than is apparent from the drawing, thanks to the small dimensions of the gearbox. The hole increases the speed of airflow as it heads towards the higher rear venturi section, where it expands and creates more downforce. Other teams are arguing that the presence of the hole is against the regulations. ( From www.f1.com )

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

ESPImperium

Re: Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009

Oz & Malaysia the Chassis numbers were as follows:

22. Jenson: BGP001-02
23. Rubens: BGP001-01

sticky667

ESPImperium wrote:Oz & Malaysia the Chassis numbers were as follows:

definitely interested in seeing how many tubs they use throughout the season. good info!

modbaraban

What's that black lump on the underside of the nosecone? (above the arrow #2)

PS: thnx, bar555, great thread.

Giblet

I think, but might be wrong, that it just looks like a lump, when it's one side of a splitter that directs air around the suspension lump parts there, or are they steering parts?

I think from head on it would look like a boat hull, but you'd have to get your camera right under the cars nose.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

So the inlet holes to the diffuser are being blocked out of view by those silver things.

From this back view of the diffuser: I imagine the holes are where the green circles are.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NormanBates

great thread, thanks, bar555!!

edit: I don't think that's a back view of the diffuser: it's a picture of the diffuser taken from where the "inside" of the car would be; maybe that's what you mean... nevermind...

edit2: from the last picture in bar555's post, I see the brawn diffuser is panning wide-open sideways, so as if they wanted to create the biggest possible effect in under the reference plane, at the expense of what happens under the step plane; I didn't notice that before; are other teams' diffusers designed that way too?

wesley123

@modbaraban; That is probably a sensor, the RA107 and 108 had similair i thought.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium

sticky667 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Oz & Malaysia the Chassis numbers were as follows:

definitely interested in seeing how many tubs they use throughout the season. good info!
Tried last year and it wasnt at all easy to manage, but this year i have a new system in place using my pit stop simulator, should be miles easier to manage, i think. And it will show what drivers used KERS thru the season at what races as well.

Results so far are actually quite intresting, only 2 races in.

bar555

NOSE CONE CAMERA WINGLETS

The winglets on either side of the nose cone are placed higher and relatively away from the tip of the nose . Τhey may have a camera fitted inside them .

BARGEBOARDS

1.The small bargeboard is closer in its bottom to the main body of the car . This generates a sort of Venturi effect to increase the velocity of the air flow entering between the small bargeboard and the main body of the car .
2.Triangular fin which helps splitting the airflow passing close to the sidepods. This cuts the vortices around the sidepod entrance, allowing more air to enter, hence improving the car's cooling capabilities
3.This horizontal element create a better seal between the bottom of the car and the ground, diverting airflow underneath the car more efficiently

MIRRORS

Mirrors are placed close to the cockpit zone. Probably their innovative mounting’s shape offer a small aero gain , especially crucial for the new winglet-less 2009 F1 cars . I assume that they split the airflow into 2 parts , one portion above the sidepod and another one towards the sidepod inlet improving the car’s cooling capabilities .

EXHAUSTS

BGP001 exhausts extended 10cm out of the holes in the engine cover something that has been corrected for the Malaysian GP . Probably this configuration did not offer aero gain but helped to better handle cooling issues . Ferrari F60 during winter testing had also to modify its exhaust pipes for the same reason . Long exhausts pipes was something common for past years .
2009 regulations states “Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm ” . According to the regulations, "airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are to be considered part of the bodywork

bar555

GEARBOX - AUSTRALIA

Gearbox: Seven speed unit with carbon composite maincase
Gear selection: Sequential, semi-automatic, hydraulic activation
Clutch: Carbon plate

REAR LIGHT - AUSTRALIA

STEERING WHEEL - AUSTRALIA

Gear selection is initiated by the driver through paddles on the steering wheel

Steering wheel: Carbon fibre construction

FRONT BRAKES - AUSTRALIA

Brakes: Brembo calipers
Brake discs/pads: Carbon/Carbon

REAR BRAKES - AUSTRALIA

FRONT WHEEL RIM SHEILDS - AUSTRALIA

REAR WHEEL RIM SHEILDS - AUSTRALIA

bar555

FRONT ZONE - UNDER NOSE FLOOR

1. Horizontal splitter which creates a kind of venturi effect under the chassis
2. Vertical fence

REAR ZONE - DIFFUSER

These drawings illustrate the position of the two holes (bottom left drawing - highlighted in bright yellow) in the underbody of the Brawn, in the vertical section where the reference and step planes meet. These boost the efficiency of the rear diffuser, but also need careful gearbox and suspension packaging to allow them to work. The central section of the diffuser (the section with the 'double deck') starts in front of the rear tyres, with the outer sections only starting from the rear axle line. (from www.f1.com)

Brawn have joined their wing to the rear diffuser like Williams , RBR , STR but Brawn’s joint version is not as big . It helps to reduce vortexes

AIRBOX ZONE

The team has removed like Mc Laren some bodywork from the airbox zone clearing up the area . This helps reducing drag caused by turbulence . The two inclined parallel ones strengthens the area .

AIRBOX CAMERA WINGLETS - AUSTRALIA

Apart from the T shaped camera there was a winglet attached on the left side of the airbox . No camera was fitted inside it .

REAR SUSPENSION

1. Large spring damper
2. Pushrod
3. Anti-roll bars
4. Transmission
5. Lower wishbone
6. Small winglets which add a small amount of downforce

1.Brake fluid master cylinders
2.Steering arm

blobslosak

Thank you very much. Some really interesting little developments on the Brawn. The front splitter is especially complex.

bar555

Here is a very good link explaining in graphics how Brawn's diffuser works

http://www.marca.com/2009/04/15/motor/f ... 25973.html

here are some images taken

wesley123

The brawn cars have a genial view on teh rules, those flaps on the wheel and diffuser are a small part of it, i am getting more and more the felling that they far from showed all the potential in the car. Every car looks like a toy car when you compare it to this car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender