Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

Hey all. Didn't see a specific thread to the tests that will be conducted in the next few days, so here I made one :mrgreen:

They'll get 4 sets on both days, of softs and mediums... I wonder how they'll get feedback for the supersofts and the hards though :? http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/11/18/pire ... tial-test/

Anyone have a complete list of who's driving during the Pirelli tests?

I know Macca is fielding Paffet and Turvey? RBR is fielding the reigning world champ (I'm sorry... it gives me a boost everytime I say that ) and who else? Schumacher is doing the test to, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

Re: Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

What Renaults wheels look like with the Pirellis on them: http://yfrog.com/28kjrxj

As for whos running:

Red Bull-Renault = Vettel (Fri)/Alguersauri (Sat)
McLaren-Mercedes = Garry Pafett/Oliver Turvey
Ferarri = TBA (Jules Bianchi most likley)
Mercedes GP = Schumacher/Rosberg
Renault = Kubica (Fri/Sat)
Williams = Barrichello (Fri/Sat)
Force India-Mercedes = Adrian Sutil/Paul Di resta
Sauber-Ferarri = Kobiyashai/Perez
STR-Ferarri = Alguersauri (Fri)/Buemi (Sat)
Lotus Racing-Cosworth = Kovalinenn (Fri/Sat)
Hispania-Cosworth = Maldanado (Fri/Sat)
Virgin-Cosworth = Glock (Fri/Sat)

raymondu999

It just says, "First delivery of Pirelli tyres here in Abu Dhabi as we gear up for the tyre test tomorrow." They're not on the cars yet.

And Alguersuari is fielding the Red Bull on Saturday for the tyre test? Huh? I feel slightly sorry for Petrov. He deserves a crack at seeing how the Pirellis go as well. But I think they'd probably want the more experienced head to give feedback to the team and to Pirelli.

Are ferrari fielding Massa or Fernando? Someone said a while back (it might've been Martin Brundle on the Abu Dhabi F1 forum, I can't remember 100%) that currently this situation would favor Vettel. Being a world champion he would likely have greater weight with what it is he says about the tyres. Brundle (if it was Brundle) mentioned that McLaren should have brought in their two drivers to test the tyres as well. Being world champions they too would be listened to more than Pirelli would probably listen to Paffett.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

natehall

what about webber - shoved out of his car for Alguersauri, think thats a tad unfair!

raymondu999

Webber has PR duties in Perth, and has surgery.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Aha!! Newey says the weight distribution is done to 45:55, with 1% of tolerance:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/15771
Last edited by Steven on 19 Nov 2010, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced link with our own
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

I think Brundle hit right uppon it quite rightly at Abu Dhabi, not that i a ggree with him much, i did aggree that McLaren are missing a beat with not sending their two world champions for the test. It just means that Vettel, Barrichello and Schumacher will have the lions share of the engineers pouring over their feedback with Rosberg and Kubica next best for their feedback.

Ferrari are still to confirm, but someone said that its Jules Bianchi and 3 of the Ferrari Driver Academy drivers as well. If so, this is more of an own goal than McLaren who have at least sent Pafett.

But id expect most teams to be running lots of sensor arrays from their cars as well.

This is where i think there should have been a 3 day Pirelli test for the teams, Friday-Saturday-Sunday to allow for more data.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Will teams be running single deck diffusers?
I assume then that with raymondu999's link that the car's at Abu Dhabi this weekend will be of the 45-55 weight distribution too.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium

Id asume so, Red Bull have said they have some of new parts coming out for the Pirelli test. Id recon a SDD and posibly exaust package as well. Posibly a RB5 rear end for the RB6 coming out???

Im thinking that some teams will test with the DDD as this way they can see what the degredation will be like with more downforce. Im not sure really, just have to wait till tomorrow i think.

astracrazy

ESPImperium wrote:I think Brundle hit right uppon it quite rightly at Abu Dhabi, not that i a ggree with him much, i did aggree that McLaren are missing a beat with not sending their two world champions for the test. It just means that Vettel, Barrichello and Schumacher will have the lions share of the engineers pouring over their feedback with Rosberg and Kubica next best for their feedback.

Ferrari are still to confirm, but someone said that its Jules Bianchi and 3 of the Ferrari Driver Academy drivers as well. If so, this is more of an own goal than McLaren who have at least sent Pafett.

But id expect most teams to be running lots of sensor arrays from their cars as well.

This is where i think there should have been a 3 day Pirelli test for the teams, Friday-Saturday-Sunday to allow for more data.
in some ways, but then pafett has done a lot of simulator development for next years car. so he may be able to carry the tyre test experience over to further simulator tests better than jenson and lewis would at this current time

raymondu999

While Paffett might be able to do he job for McLaren still... Say you were a Pirelli engineer. Would you rather listen to what a world champion has to say, or what a simulator guy who's never driven in anger has to say?

I agree with ESP in that Vettel, Barrichello, Schumacher would probably be getting the lion's share of attention. What's interesting to me is Paul Di Resta. I'm not sure he'll get much attention from Pirelli, kind of like Paffett. But could this mean they're prepping him to face the Pirellis in their 2nd seat next year?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NewtonMeter

ESPImperium wrote:What Renaults wheels look like with the Pirellis on them: http://yfrog.com/28kjrxj
Ah! I love the yellow writing!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Jersey Tom

raymondu999 wrote:Say you were a Pirelli engineer. Would you rather listen to what a world champion has to say, or what a simulator guy who's never driven in anger has to say?
I'd rather listen to whoever gives the most verbally precise and useful feedback while producing representative lap times.

Being a fast driver doesn't necessarily mean you're a good test driver, though it can often be the case.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

So here's the lineup:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/11/18/2 ... r-line-up/

RBR is NOT fielding Jaime. Ferrari are using their regular drivers. HRT fielding Pastor Maldonado, interestingly enough. Maybe he's going to HRT?:s
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lebesset

until he got a drive this year PDR was McL's test driver for some years , and I was most impressed with him at pre-season this year , he looked precise and fast , the data must have been excellent

but in a race ?

so maybe it's horses for courses

of course paffet is a fast and experienced race driver [ about the same age as button ], DTM is a fast and highly technical series
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be