Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

Good for the fact that its really only the first day?

Although I do wonder what kind of compromise they are making with the tires made for both GP2 and F1...

raymondu999

A good first day would be where they can get good data, not be robbed of data opportunities by failing tyres. The sliding... well what can we say? They're relatively new to this. Sure they used to supply F1 back in the 70s/80s, but they're newcomers really aren't they?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lebesset
lebesset

well tom , if one team says the fronts are better and another says the other way around it sounds like they are not a million miles away straight out of the box ; more likely RBR haven't got the balance correct yet , hardly a surprise ; hopefully they have changed the front/rear balance from the last tyres ...even if it is not enough to satisfy rosberg

and tyre failures ? I read one , and maybe it's a puncture ; hardly michelin at indy , is it !

and raymond ....one deflation 5 minutes before the end of the day ....does that ruin it ? robbed of data opportunities indeed
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

You always seem very defensive of Pirelli :)
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

lebesset
lebesset

actually tom , where I think anyone's comments lack balance I tend to raise my cudgel ; like most here [ I think } I an hoping pirelli give us something different to what I regard as the dead hand of bridgestone last season ; whether or not they will remains to be seen

I gather that you live and work in a tyre town , and I am in the orbit of one ; if so ,you will know that tyres are a big factor in who wins F1 championships ; ferrari changed to bridgestone who developed their tyres for them , and a string of championships followed ; michelin were allowed to develop tyres for the characteristics of the renault , and 2005/6 ensued

for 4 years we have seen a reasonably even playing field , although I admit we cannot escape the fact that the years of bridgestone development were done with ferrari , and that has to remain an influence ; but when you see drivers like schu and button struggling with the tyres it suggests that something has to change in order to keep a balance ; how big a loss would it be to F1 if the only way to win would be to drive like button , or kobayashi for example

so when I see someone comment ...sliding cars .. when only one driver made that comment , and ..tyre failures ...when only one tyre deflated right at the end of testing , I would feel that was biased whoever the comments were about
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I kinda call BS on the notion of designing tires specifically for Ferrari or Renault, that won't work worth crap for any other teams.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Caito
Caito

OT: About tire color, don't show this to Bernie, he might get too excited.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUsOVQN ... re=related[/youtube]
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

While I understand some teams might not have gotten their setup/balance right yet (aided by the mandatory weight distrib, of course) the point that really got to me was Rosberg and Vettel made their statements relative to bridgestone. Vettel said the fronts were stronger than the bridgestones, while Rosberg said the fronts were weaker than bridgestones.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

raymondu999 wrote:A good first day would be where they can get good data, not be robbed of data opportunities by failing tyres. The sliding... well what can we say? They're relatively new to this. Sure they used to supply F1 back in the 70s/80s, but they're newcomers really aren't they?

Its hard to pin down tire failure down to just "bad tire". People get flat in a race weekend for a variety of reason.....No reason to suspect this is any different...

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:While I understand some teams might not have gotten their setup/balance right yet (aided by the mandatory weight distrib, of course) the point that really got to me was Rosberg and Vettel made their statements relative to bridgestone. Vettel said the fronts were stronger than the bridgestones, while Rosberg said the fronts were weaker than bridgestones.
But we all new W01 is a strange car at dealing with its tyres.

agip

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

ringo

I aint no tyre engineer, but the grains look less clumped and smaller. Whether that means the tyres wear aggressively or not, i have no clue.
For Sure!!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That top photo looks like the tread is a bit on the soft side.. but whatever. Just devo's they're testing. Probably evaluating a range.

lebesset
lebesset

well , let's hope they DO wear faster ; first reports are that the medium compound does , soft doesn't

just read that webber is going to be the RB driver on saturday ...is that correct ?
thought he was off to OZ