Adjustable Rear Wing (DRS)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
timbo
timbo

Re: Adjustable Rear Wing (DRS)

horse wrote:Or are you talking about trimming the flap, or not allowing it to open fully so you have a "half downforce" mode?
That.
Something like the half downforce mode could possibly be useful for the right track, but you'd want to be able to get it working fully for the race again. You'd look a bit silly when an ARW/KERS attack makes you looks like you're standing still but then you can't get them back because your own ARW is deficient.
I believe that teams would gladly trade any possible race advantage for better times @ qualifying.

horse

timbo wrote:I believe that teams would gladly trade any possible race advantage for better times @ qualifying.
Well with that premise in mind, then why not? I think you are right to say such an approach would be track specific as you would want to save more time through the half-dowforce corners compared to the time saved by opening it fully on straights.

If the wing angle can be controlled by a dial or selector during qualifying then there is no comprise, anyway. You just set up an On, Half, Off set of modes which the driver can choose from. More work for the driver to do though!
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

timbo
timbo

horse wrote:If the wing angle can be controlled by a dial or selector during qualifying then there is no comprise, anyway. You just set up an On, Half, Off set of modes which the driver can choose from. More work for the driver to do though!
This part makes me wonder actually. Can't remember the wording in the regulations, but I think it is supposed to be on/off switch.

raymondu999

I'm thinking actually, that because you'll have a different level of drag with DRS turned off, wouldn't some engines probably get (maybe slight) advantages over others?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hollus

hud wrote:
hollus wrote:

It sure will make for some interesting gambling. How do you gear on saturday when a wet race is predicted on sunday???
Did they choose gear ratio on saturday? i thought the ratios is to be compromise to suit at least 5 tracks as the gearbox has to last for 5 consecutive race weekends. So, whether it's raining or not it shouldn't be an issue.

or... i misunderstood the gearbox rules.
I think while the most gearbox components must last five races, they are allowed to change the ratios for every race. At least it was like that the last years. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association is to meet with the FIA in Barcelona on Wednesday evening to talk through any concerns they have about Formula 1's latest rules, including the new movable rear wings.

With only a few weeks left until the first race of the season in Australia, F1's drivers have been eager to clear up outstanding issues that have come to light during testing. In a bid to make sure that those concerns are settled before the opening round of the campaign, the FIA has agreed to meet all the drivers – along with technical representatives from the teams – for open discussions about it in the Barcelona paddock after the conclusion of testing today.

It is understood that one of the main subjects that is scheduled to be talked through between GPDA representatives and FIA race director Charlie Whiting is the implementation of the movable rear wing rules, in terms of both how the regulations will work and concerns about safety. Sources suggest that some drivers are worried that use of the wing, in combination with KERS, could contribute to a repeat of the collision that Mark Webber and Heikki Kovalainen suffered in Valencia last year thanks to the high closing speeds that will be possible in 2011.

"It's just about having an open and frank discussion about any worries that the drivers have, before we get to Australia," a source told AUTOSPORT. "Everyone is keen to make the new rules work as best they can."

The FIA has already successfully tested the software that will be used to manage the wing rules at the races, with the devices activated if a driver gets within one second of the car ahead of him at the corner preceding a designated straight. The current plan is for an overtaking zone – where the movable rear wing can be used – to be set up on this straight 600 meters before the braking zone.

The FIA is prepared to tweak the length of that zone so that the distance makes a passing move possible, but without it becoming too easy.

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Oh dear. I must be getting withdrawal symptoms as I dreamt I was watching the race already. It was on HD and it was glorious :mrgreen:

Btw, I was just watching the race (in my dream, no less :P) and something struck me. Wouldn't DRS actually ELIMINATE some overtaking zones? :shock:

eg. If we take someone who is rather good at overtaking, eg Kobayashi or Hamilton.

Now, my dream was the Australian Grand Prix, so I'll stay true to that for now :mrgreen:

Hamilton overtakes into the last left hand hairpin, meaning he reaches there first, on the inside of the guy he was overtaking (in my case Mark Webber :P) But he's only a hundredth or two away. Then Mark Webber activated his DRS on the pit straight and just sailed back past him. BECAUSE Lewis overtook at the hairpin.

Now this could also happen at several other corners. Eg Kobayashi might not be able to do his banzai hairpin overtake at Suzuka, or Lewis would no longer be able to do his wall of death maneuver at Turn 11-12 in Melbourne
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Do we know the straights on which DRS will be activated at Sepang?

raymondu999

Heya guys. Sorry to revive an old thread. But regarding the long main plane, short flap combo (ala Merc, RBR) and long flap, short main plane combo (a la McL) James Allen says now that McL's would, when in "df" position, give less drag - while in "drag reduction" mode, the RB would give less drag. Can anyone comment on this?

Here's the offending article:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/04/w ... -the-race/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jenkF1

raymondu999 wrote:Heya guys. Sorry to revive an old thread. But regarding the long main plane, short flap combo (ala Merc, RBR) and long flap, short main plane combo (a la McL) James Allen says now that McL's would, when in "df" position, give less drag - while in "drag reduction" mode, the RB would give less drag. Can anyone comment on this?

Here's the offending article:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/04/w ... -the-race/
The Mclaren has a longer upper plane than the Redbull. This means it produces marginally less drag for downforce. However, as its bigger, when the DRS is activated there is still some angle, were when the Redbull's upper plane is activated its practically flat and so there is less drag. So in theory the Mclaren has the more efficient rear wing, but with DRS activated the Redbull is better.

E86
E86

The one point i kinda wanted to bring up about the DRS, is why the FIA will not allow the drivers to use the wing when they want in the race also? There could be some advantages for the driver who dares to drop downforce(activate the DRS) in the slower or medium speed corners. If he sins out that is his fault. Maybe still have it to the point where they would have to be within one second of the driver ahead. Just my thought!!!!
Best Regards,
Eric Cantore
Team Pelfrey Racing

raymondu999

In short, they're scared it could make overtaking too easy. Could you imagine someone DRSing the other guy all the way through a lap of Monza?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法