Flexible wings 2011

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
HampusA

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Let´s talk about the infamous RBR wings :)

I´m going to state some things that isn´t fact at all but i would bet my house that they are true.

So here we go.

RBR wings flex alot, FIA tests the wings and the pass of course.

Why? you might ask, well this is my theory,

RBR creates wings that flexes in one direction and are stiff in the other.

FIA does tests with hydralics from under the wing and floor correct?
Well if you have a wing that is super stiff in that direction it will pass the tests due to a faulty test from the beginning.

If they had done the tests in a way that i feel is correct they would put the weight ON the wings and floor, not push up from beneath it.

Maybe someone can come in and say yes no or wth are you smoking.
The truth will come out...

Owen.C93

I don't believe the load test is performed from beneath. So in that case "wtf are you smoking" ;)
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

HampusA

Owen.C93 wrote:I don't believe the load test is performed from beneath. So in that case "wtf are you smoking" ;)
I know for a fact that they do it for the floor ;)

Can be seen in FIA technical regulations PDF where these hydralics pumps are put beneath the floor so they push up.

I can´t claim the same for the wings but i´m fairly sure it´s the same deal there.

MikeFromCanada

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

allstaruk08 wrote:
i think hes leaning his head to go into the turn so his head is lower. the wing defo moves no other part of the car moves, use your cursor point as a reference on any part of the car and you'll see its just the wing (and the driver lol) that moves
The right tire/shock assembly raises up and down as well. Either way, the wing's endplates certainly do travel vertically, it would be pretty hard to argue against that.

HampusA

Check it out. I would bet my house that the floor is super stiff in that direction but flexes like hell in the other direction.

"Whitmarsh claimed that every millimetre of endplate lowering equates roughly to a single point of downforce, so an inch's lowering could give a full second's advantage."

Owen.C93

HampusA wrote:Check it out. I would bet my house that the floor is super stiff in that direction but flexes like hell in the other direction.

Why would you want that though, no load goes down on the splitter.

Anyway the load test in done by a ram from above, the teams have to supply the fittings so it goes on the end plates of the wing properly.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/782.html

bot6

All of that comes from a Ferrari idea of making a very low splitter with a very low ride height, but the splitter would flex up on the curbs, helping the car stay on track and allowing the drivers to attack the curbs more. That test was designed to prevent such devices from existing.

HampusA -> the FIA use a similar system to test the wings (hydraulic ram), but it presses downwards on the wing, not upwards. The problem with that is it only presses the wing down on one precise point. If you design the wing to flex around a pivot point aligned with the testing point, the test will create no torque on the pivot point, hence no flexing. So you can make an illegal flexing wing and still go around the test.

By the way, you owe me a house, mate...

HampusA

bot6 wrote:All of that comes from a Ferrari idea of making a very low splitter with a very low ride height, but the splitter would flex up on the curbs, helping the car stay on track and allowing the drivers to attack the curbs more. That test was designed to prevent such devices from existing.

HampusA -> the FIA use a similar system to test the wings (hydraulic ram), but it presses downwards on the wing, not upwards. The problem with that is it only presses the wing down on one precise point. If you design the wing to flex around a pivot point aligned with the testing point, the test will create no torque on the pivot point, hence no flexing. So you can make an illegal flexing wing and still go around the test.

By the way, you owe me a house, mate...
Ahh thanks for that.

Yea sure, what colour do you want? i can paint it in RBR colours aswell lol :D

HampusA

HAve you seen the latest pics from Scarb? Looks like the whole nose is flexing.

Newey is just insane.

marekk

Re: Flexible wings 2011

I've found this one on PF1 forum:

No comments...

timd

Those two photo's are the best damn'ing evedence ive seen so far :) It seems to be drooping along with a quite heavy change of AoA.
Last edited by timd on 27 Mar 2011, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.

Owen.C93

Yeah that picture was originally posted in this thread.

I think the FIA need to do a pull test on the front wing pulling it towards the back of the car to simulate drag and the pivot aspect. That's what it looks like to me.

timd

Maybe a front wing pivot test based on the front wheel centre point to check the AoA i dunno. To me rotation seems to be the issue. Meh i realise that doesnt make a lot of sense. Had some wine already tonight :)

Look at the wing though it seems to be flexing centred on the neck of the bull and also rotating the end plates.

Formula None

Red Bull. It bends your wings.

Same speed & track location in that photo?

If the FIA can't be bothered to come up with ways to inspect for their myriad byzantine rules, it's my opinion that this is all fair game. Kudos to Red Bull for building upon what they established last year.
Last edited by Formula None on 27 Mar 2011, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

marekk

Yeah, more or less. Start/Finish straight - so macca's should be quicker at this point.