Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tozza Mazza

Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

Hello all. Since January I have been designing my own F1 car using google sketchup. I designed the car with pen and paper originally. I tried to include all the designs and innovations seen in the 2011 F1 season, as well as a few of my own. The concept of the car was innovation, so i decided to include double floor, a blade roll hoop, A high V nose, and kers cooling solutions. A few of my ideas will be shown below. I recently accquired some CFD software, so before i do any updates, i will be anylysing to make sure the part is better. This should help especially with aerofoils.

BIG THANK YOU TO JORDANGP FOR HELPING ME WITH GETTING THE DESIGN INTO SKETCHUP IN THE COMPLEX AREAS!!!!!

The reasoning for the short nose, is because personally i find the 'Fat noses' of most of the 2011 cars horrific. I much prefer the 2005 era cars noses, especially the R25, as it was a beautiful car. The Front wing itself is heavily based on that of the W02, missing the extended elements, which are still to come in a future update (possibly?)

This image shows the cooling configuration. The cooling setup revolves around the blade roll hoop, a concept i am really interested in, as it seems (possibly) a step forward in aerodynamics. The top cooling holes are for the engine, and the lower ones for a KERS unit.

The double floor concept interested me heavily. I actually thought about including it on the car before the Toro Rosso was released after reading about F92A, and when the STR6 was released, it just reinforced my thoughts of including it!

One of my own concepts included on the car is the 'Tail Wing'. The tail wing creates free downforce, and as far as i can read into the rules is completely legal. It needs endplates, and possibly a slot, but is an interesting concept.

Please discuss and give feedback, I spent a lot of time on this model, thank you for reading, Tozza Mazza.

jordangp

Re: Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

you're welcome :)

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Good work, particularly liked the tail wing concept. I don't know how much input you both had relative to each other. But credit to the both of you. I'm currently designing my own, just purely as a design exercise, not to any specifications on a programme called pro-desktop, not sure if you's are familiar with it? But I will post when I'm done and will look forward to your feedback?

Tozza Mazza

Cheers!
I had the ideas, and about 75% of the work was done myself in sketchup. I found the longest part out of everything the preperation, going through the regulations to see what is legal. JordanGP modelled the nose, sidepods and cooling arrangements, to my spec, as i was really struggling modelling it. I look forward to seeing your model too :)
Tozza Mazza

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Yeah the hardest bit I'm finding with my design is the coke bottle section and sidepod area, however I am still learning the capabilities of the programme, if I achieve something that looks even half as good as yours and a lot of the other cars I've seen on this site I will be very pleased haha.

wesley123
wesley123

That is looking really good, I love the clean shape of the rear end
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tozza Mazza

Thanks. Much more to come in terms of the rear end of the car, including a new rear wing soon.

Tozza Mazza

Hello again, should have posted this at the weekend, but was busy, but the car was finished for the Malaysian GP. Updates from last time include a new rear wing, suspension (with a single keel layout), brake ducts, rear wing supports and an updated tail wing.

Below are the updates and brief explanations. For the next GP in china (maybe a bit too ambitious, then China, I will have a new high nose, but its been a real pain cutting off the old one, as well as adding bargeboards. :lol:

This is the new rear wing, it is heavily based on that of the Mercedes W02. This new wing features the gills to reduce turbulence and drag, and the top element now includes a slot, to speed up airflow around the back, creating more downforce. In a future update, i plan to step the lower element, as many teams now do.

This shows the front suspension layout, with a single keel. I don't know too much about suspension, so I can't write very much :lol:

This shows the rear suspension layout, I'm not sure if it's pushrod or pullrod, you decide :lol: At the bottom edge of the image is the exhaust exit, its very basic, but I'm trying to go down the RBR route. I hope to revise them in a future update.

My final update for Malaysia was on the tail wing. I gave the wing endplates and a slot, in order to create more downforce. This is the area of the car which is unique to most of the other home made F1 cars on the forum.

Finally, here is an image of the whole car :D

Enjoy, please give feedback!

hansengp
hansengp

Great work on getting the car ready in time mate shame your results at Malaysia wernt the best but keep working think you have amazing idea really like the exhaust concept along with the STR6 coke bottle side pods, to improve i think you you make the car more complex :L like mine hehe... but keep going and hopefully soon i will see you at the front of the grid haha :D
Follow Hansen GP on Twitter @HansenPitWall https://twitter.com/HansenPitWall

Part of: http://www.formulasketch.co.uk

wesley123
wesley123

Good looking update!

But to say I really do not nderstand why you choose for an W02 wing copy, that wing has actually proven to not be working at all.

And a few tips, stop using paint to save screenshots, the images lose quality and apart from that you get those 'double bar' on a few of your pics. I would also turn off the function that shows the lines of materials, would make it look a bit better
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tozza Mazza

I did the wing just after Barcelona test, when the W02 was actually looking like the second best car :lol: and yes, i use sketchup which renders poorly, and have no real access to any good image software like photoshop. any suggestions?

Thanks Wesley, must say your car looks great :D

Tozza Mazza

Update for Chinese GP. I think the car is finally in a finished state, and any updates from here will be proper ones, not just finishing the car. This time I have rendered the car, and it looks way better. I've also come up with what i believe to be a fairly innovative exhaust system.

Here is a rendered of image of the whole car, some of the updates are visible, but i'll go through each one, one by one. The first thing I'd like to go through is my original and innovative exhaust system. As you can see from the image below the pipe ends, and is split into two directions, the first (visible) blows over the floor and into the diffuser, but the second goes into a seperate outlet, which is blown under the floor and into the diffuser itself.

The image below is a shot from beneath the car, showing the large undercut under the floor used for the exhaust system, if you look closely you can see too rectangles on the undercut, these are the secondary exhaust exits.

The other updates for the Chinese GP are vanes underneath the nose, with a wing, like Ferrari had in malaysia (can be seen in above picture), turning vanes, bargeboards, mirrors, and extending the rear wing endplates down to the ground, in a similar way to Sauber did in pre season testing. Here is a side on picture where these updates can be seen.

My car competes in an online championship for cars designed in sketchup, which can be found at http://www.f1game.tk, I will be posting the results after the GP. Thanks for reading, please give feedback and suggestions.

Tozza Mazza.

pearsey13

wow, great model man, i love your work. but how did you get both sides identical? :)
Because in a split second, it's gone - Ayrton Senna

Tozza Mazza

Thank you, means a lot :D
you using sketchup? good advice would be build one side, then copy and paste, or use components and then stick in the exact same position on the opposite side. Failing that, add a rectangle along the car centre line, select the face of the rectangle, click 'intersect faces' wait a few hours for it do it :lol: then delete the side you dont want, copy the side you do want, then paste it, stick it together so the two sides match perfectly, and voila, job done :D

pearsey13

yeah I'm using sketchup. okay thanks, its helped alot :)
continue your good work
Because in a split second, it's gone - Ayrton Senna