Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

good luck with your project, hope to see a great end result! What are the aims for your car? to be something you've designed, or a showcase for ideas? and thank you, will do :D

pearsey13

Thanks, well to start off with i will probably take bits and pieces of the 2011 formula one cars that i like and make my car, then i'm hoping to be able to put my idea's in to it, within regulations of course :lol:
Because in a split second, it's gone - Ayrton Senna

Tozza Mazza

@Pearsey13: Awesome, can't wait to see it, kind of the same as me, this is my way of showing my ideas for my own F1 car. I'm looking at being an aerodynamicist as a future career, which is why I made my model. Good luck, looking forward to seeing it.
Incase you're interested, here is my car in it's livery for the online championship (http://www.f1game.tk). Livery created in Gimp and Adobe photoshop elements 8 by Hansen GP viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9854.

pearsey13

yes, I would also love to be a aerodynamicist in the future, its all very interesting. Oh the car looks great, good work :) what tool do you use to shape all of the curvy bits like the side pods on sketchup?
Because in a split second, it's gone - Ayrton Senna

Tozza Mazza

there are a few different techniques which can be applied to curved surfaces, i usually just draw out lines with the arc tool, but there was an interesting technique i saw where the curved lines are the same length but different heights at different points. If you get a quarter of a circle which corresponds to the type of curve you want you can copy it to a point on one of the curves, and scale it so it touches the other curve.

Tozza Mazza

The last couple of days I've been working on something very innovative. Inspired by LegendaryM, i set to work on creating my own Flexible front wing, however mine is based around a different concept to his. My Flexible sections work through using the principle of levers, the downforce generated by the outer section of the raised front wing, will push the whole of the raised section down. I have also moved the endplates down so they are 20mm lower than the flexible section. This is so the wing will pass the flexing test. Below are images of the concept. Enjoy :D

The wing meets all the rules and regulations regarding the front wing, and the flexibility tests. Please give feedback. TM.

N12ck

wing looks almost mclaren-esc ive gotta say i take my hat off to you, brilliant designs :)
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

you should look more to the detail. The footplate got great detail and looks really clean but the rest of the wing does not.

Apart from that, I would give it more development, more advanced end plates and above all a 3 plane wing, which is less sensitive then a 2 plane wing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tozza Mazza

@N12ck: Thank you so much, it really does mean a lot to get praise.

@Wesley123: Thanks. The wing itself isn't done yet, but i do plan an endplate update, and for the main planes of the wing, am looking at a three element design similar to the Renault. By detail, do you mean modelling detail or feautures detail. This is my first 3D model of any kind, and i am still learning the sortware, so model wise it may look a bit amateurish :lol:

wesley123
wesley123

well take a look at the footplate and compare that to the rest of the wing. The footplate itselfe is alot cleaner and better detailed then the whole wing.

Tozza Mazza

Which part is the footplate? The central 500mm or lower element in the main section? :?

wesley123
wesley123

the part connected to the end plate and where the second element is connected to.

N12ck

your welcome, and how do you stop the upper element from flexing and touching the lower element? as there is only 1 small support?
Budding F1 Engineer

Tozza Mazza

Each of the two aerofoils have a seperate support, which don't touch. Under immense dowforce the system will act as a lever, pushing the top section down, generate yet more downforce until the flexible section makes contact with the enplates 2cm below it.

N12ck

so is the flexi bit the top bit, the bottom bit, or both? just the top one flexes less?
Budding F1 Engineer