Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Tozza Mazza - F1 Car Design

The top one is the bit designed to pass the flexi test, as it will flex the 2cm required before it then hits the endplate, preventing it from flexing any further. I suppose the rest of the wing could flex, as the wing would pass the flexibility test, but i designed it so that the raised elements were flexible.

N12ck

2 words: nice idea :)
Budding F1 Engineer

Tozza Mazza

2 words : THANK YOU! :D

Lindz

How does the upper element flexing give any benefit?

It's the wing's ability to combine load and suction and get it's long-chord main elements closer to the ground that is desirable.

Tozza Mazza

That is so that it passes the flexing test. However, the upper section would continue to create way more than the required 100N required in the load test, pushing the outer sections of the wing towards the ground, giving the desired ground effect.

Tozza Mazza

Hi, time for an update, I have a new rear wing. The endplates have remained the same for now, but i have new elements, a more visible DRS actuator, a new beam wing, and a winglet on the actuator. Here are some images, enjoy.

This is an image of the whole rear wing, and shows mosty of the improvements which have been made. The New elements were based on the RB6 and RB7 rear wing design.

The actuator is now visible, and on top of it is a winglet. The winglet design is based on that of the Pescarolo LMS rear wing design, which has been discussed in the forum.

The Pescarolo design has again been used on the beam wing, with Vortex generators covering the trailing edge of the wing.

Lastly I made a new slot, here is a detailed image of it.

Hope you enjoyed, TM. Now back to AS level maths :(

jordangp

That rear wing, winglet looks strangely like my new up and coming Tail Wing design for turkey :/

Holm86

Shouldnt those vortex generators be at the leading edge not trailing??

As far as i know the idea is to generate vortices along the flap to help the flow stay attached.

Tozza Mazza

Holm86 wrote:Shouldnt those vortex generators be at the leading edge not trailing??

As far as i know the idea is to generate vortices along the flap to help the flow stay attached.
Yes, and they are :lol: . I was very tired at the time of typing. The DRS actuator wing is triple element, the Vortex generators are on the leading edge of the third element, which contains the vortext generators and the gurney tabs.
Sorry for confusing you :oops:

Holm86

Tozza Mazza wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Shouldnt those vortex generators be at the leading edge not trailing??

Yes, and they are :lol: . I was very tired at the time of typing. The DRS actuator wing is triple element, the Vortex generators are on the leading edge of the third element, which contains the vortext generators and the gurney tabs.
Sorry for confusing you :oops:
Did not see the DRS wing was three elements :) Thats why i got confused. But what about the beam wing?? it seems to have the "bumps" on the trailing edge?

hecti

Im pretty sure you cant have slots in any of the rear wing elements now (beam wing as well) even in the 150mm central section

Holm86

hecti wrote:Im pretty sure you cant have slots in any of the rear wing elements now (beam wing as well) even in the 150mm central section

Toro Rosso has a slot in the 150mm area of the flap.

ringo

these flexi wing designs, wouldn't there be relative motion between the 2 elements?
One stays up while the other drops?
Assuning they pass the tests.
For Sure!!

hecti

Holm86 wrote:
hecti wrote:Im pretty sure you cant have slots in any of the rear wing elements now (beam wing as well) even in the 150mm central section

Toro Rosso has a slot in the 150mm area of the flap.
I just checked the str6 page and only the beam wing has a slot. The main elements dont have any.
The tozza mazza car has the slot on one of the upper (drs enabled) main element. If you check you'll notice no current car has one.

wesley123

It is legal, it is a central rule over the car length so these slots are still legal though probably less usefull due to DRS and different wing profiles
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender