Open website links to new tab/window/same page?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

How should links open?

Always in same tab (like now)
6%
External links to new tab/window
44%
All links to new tab/window
50%

Total votes: 16

Caito

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

When you click a link in a forum thread it redirects you, taking you out of the forum

Is it possible to make links send you to a new tab, without having to ctrl+click, center click, or whatever you use to open link in new tab?

Just lazy I guess :p
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Richard

Caito wrote:When you click a link in a forum thread it redirects you, taking you out of the forum

Is it possible to make links send you to a new tab, without having to ctrl+click, center click, or whatever you use to open link in new tab?

Just lazy I guess :p

Use Tab Mix Plus on Firefox. It has an option to force links to another site to open in a new window. Links within the site work like normal.

Personally, I bring up the "new posts" page, then hold down the control key and click on all the trheads I want to read in new tabs.

Fil

External links currently open in the same window by default.

It'd be handy if by default they'd open in a new tab/window.

Yes, sometimes I'm too lazy to hold down the shortcut button to do this for me. But i shouldn't have to! :-P
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Richard

Fil wrote:External links currently open in the same window by default.

It'd be handy if by default they'd open in a new tab/window.
There is a setting in Firefox to force external links to open in a new tab. Its in the TabMixPlus plugin.

Fil

Ah sweet, just found that setting! Thanks Richard
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Dragonfly

Also, make all hyperlinks open in a new tab or window. I think it's possible with this platform.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Steven
Owner

Open website links to new tab/window/same page?

Since there's been quite a bit of discussion, how should the forum behave for links that were posted?

flynfrog

Re: Open website links to new tab/window/same page?

Links in a new tab please [-o<

Fil

Tomba, it makes sense to at least make external links open in a new tab. Why would you promote sending users off your site?

rjsa

YES!

Caito

What I find better is to open links in new tab but remain in the forum tab.

Dragonfly

Caito wrote:What I find better is to open links in new tab but remain in the forum tab.
It's a browser setting and browser dependable IMO.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Richard

External links is an obvious one to default to open in new tab.

Internal links should be left to users to adjust their browser settings accordingly. The reasoning is:

1 - If all internal inks defaulted to a new tab then spring a lot of new tabs on unsuspecting users, it'll be clutter that people might not want. More importantly it would be hard (impossible?) for a user to override that behaviour.

2 - If all internal links defaulted to same tab then we're not going to create a lot of clutter. More importantly it is easy for users to force links to open in new tabs. Simply hold down control when you click, or right click and select "open in new tab".

The essence is that the first scenario imposes on the user and it is irreversible. The second allows users to choose how they want the site to behave.

Steven
Owner

It is possible to implement all alternatives, but I agree with richard_leeds that "always new tab" is a bad idea to default on.
People wanting that behaviour can configure that in their browser (at least when it's a decent one).

Seeing that nobody has yet voted to keep it like it is now, I guess work is on hand :D

Caito

Just in case, I'm referring to forum links. If Im on the main and click a news article, it should open in the same window.

you can ctrl+click, or middle click to open it on a new tab