F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

:lol: You guys...

Anyway, we are indeed still in a testing phase. I have only upvoted a few posts to start the system, but it appears that some of those people are unable to vote up any other posts, even though they should now be able to. Secondly, mods who should always be able to vote cannot either at the moment.

Of course, the above things will be fixed first before more voting is done.

I do also want to point out that, because it is just me voting (since there's a flaw somewhere), I may have missed valuable posts. And even more importantly, I'm voting on valuable POSTS, not because of the members who posted them. The result of upvotes on valuable posts is the user's reputation, not the other way around. That is also why you need a rep>0 to be able to vote.

strad

Whatever...I really don't know what to say.
Either you really don't see what you've done or you're being disingenuous.
You've really alienated me. I know that doesn't matter but I suspect you may have done the same to people who you do value.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Don't you see that you have disrespected every member except for a select handful?
We all should have had a 1 to start with. To do otherwise is to devalue everyone of us. You're saying your membership is a bunch of zeros whose opinion is worthless unless you or one of your chosen few say otherwise.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

I'm sad to say I agree with strad on this one, as disappointing as surprising, I simply don't the logic of this at all.

I guess alienated is a proper xpression, but that's just humble me of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard

x & strad -

The select handful comment infers that you object to a test phase where Tomba grabbed the first few posts that he saw? However all regular members have posts that would get my vote when fully operational.

Or is it that you object to the notion that new members are not allowed to have votes? Many forum vote/like systems use some sort of gateway to ensure people earn the right to vote and avoid spamming by new members. Some do it on time served, some do it on number of posts, some do it on gaining a reputation vote from another established member. Tomba has chosen the latter in reponse to the number of people (including strad & x) who decry low quality posts. I can't see this gateway for the right to vote as any different to the existing gateway that prevent new members sending PMs

xpensive

richard_leeds wrote:x & strad -
The select handful comment infers that you object to a test phase where Tomba grabbed the first few posts that he saw? ...
That is not the way I remember Tomba's method of selection as earlier described, but it matters little in the context,
the forum has been divided into the have and have-nots, just like strad says. I think that's a pity, for all actually.

strad

Whether you want to admit it or not,,,This has been very poorly thought out and executed
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

Actually, I've consulted with 6 regular members and all mods about this, I'm not going to argue that this was poorly thought out, because it's the result of careful consideration.

Secondly, if you'd show some patience and wait until bugs are fixed, and then post something interesting, I'm sure someone will come by and say "oh that's worth an upvote, let me show that I appreciate this contribution". Then you can vote on what you think is worthy.

I understand the frustration, but I feel it comes only from you thinking you deserve an upvote because you are here this long and have posted so much. As said before, postcounts don't mean anything, and voting up doesn't take into account history. Sure I wish this would have been here at the forum's start 10 years ago, but it wasn't. Sorry about that, but at least we can give it a try now. If it's not working, it will be gone (or adapted) anyway

xpensive

Crystal clear, all I needed to hear actually.

strad

I'm sure someone will come by and say "oh that's worth an upvote, let me show that I appreciate this contribution
WHAT????
Who would do that when no one can vote???
The chosen few??
I'm with Xpensive!
AND BTW....It has NOTHING to do with ANY previous post counts at all. You've completely missed the point.
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

strad wrote:
I'm sure someone will come by and say "oh that's worth an upvote, let me show that I appreciate this contribution
WHAT????
Who would do that when no one can vote???
The chosen few??
I'm with Xpensive!
AND BTW....It has NOTHING to do with ANY previous post counts at all. You've completely missed the point.
And you missed the point that I will first fix bugs...

Mysticf1

One thing i'm kinda missing is the last poster being listed next to the recent posts list on the front page. This is primarily how i navigate the forum and i would prioritize what a read if i saw particular posters were listed as the most recent poster. (wow that's a bit of a tongue twister)

Otherwise loving the new setup, great work Tomba.

djos

Mods, im still not get email updates for PM's or new posts in subscribed topics and I cant find anything wrong with my settings?
"In downforce we trust"

strad

What bug? Did a bug give us all zeros? Did a bug make it so only a few members were granted any value?
Maybe I'm confused but I don't see how a bug said,,,you, you, you,,,have weight and value,,,the rest of you,,,nope. nada, nothin.
Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso

So you prefer to whine about the 0's instead of contributing to the normal discussions? That's a good way to go about it.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.