How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

Those are definitely votes you gave.

This shows the reputation changes you have received;
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

Those are definitely votes you gave.
They most certainly are NOT.
Many are in threads I have never even visited!
So unless someone has figured out how to use someone elses votes they are NOT mine.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

flynfrog

Holm86 wrote:
What about those forum threads where all that is posted is pictures of engines etc.? No info, no nothing just a picture which gets 3-4 upvotes each. Some of them not even F1 and there is definetly nothing technical behind it. Some people has reached high amounts of votes just by doing that.

(I would just like say that I have nothing against those threads. They should just be locked from voting).

As someone who has a good portion of my upvotes from those threads.... I will say I try not to just post pictures. I usually posted a picture a short description and some background info. To me this is the essence of what F1technical used to be. You learned something with almost every post. No bullshit bickering lots of info well presented the occasional call of bullshit with supporting evidence. While not strictly F1 those are the type of posts I would like to encourage on the forum.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

The voting system is being used for two different things:
1. Technically worthy/unworthy posts.
2. Agreeing or disagreeing with the post.

When the rating system was introduced it was intended (as I understand it) for #1. However it is now used more for #2 & the mods have advised users to use it that way rather than posting a +1 thumbs up post.

I suggest that there should be 2 voting buttons & scores. One for each. Further clutter and I have no suggestion as to what should be done with the existing scores.

Kiril Varbanov

tok-tokkie wrote:The voting system is being used for two different things:

When the rating system was introduced it was intended (as I understand it) for #1. However it is now used more for #2 & the mods have advised users to use it that way rather than posting a +1 thumbs up post.

I suggest that there should be 2 voting buttons & scores. One for each. Further clutter and I have no suggestion as to what should be done with the existing scores.
2 types of scores to just say you disagree? I disagree, pardon the tautology.

You could simply tell the person in a post why you disagree, as opposed to sending him anonymous thumbs down. What is going to happen next is that the user will be pushed away. That would be normal reaction to an action and that's not the aim.

It seems, so far, that it's a 50-50 situation... And since I'm against negativity, I'd propose just a single small label within the post box (USEFUL) - small tag hanging. That's it.

I just sketched this quickly for illustrative purposes.

Then, I may have the option to filter just the USEFUL tagged posts in a thread. The posts still accumulate scores (USEFUL count) but it's displayed only for the poster.

The lack of negativity will enable mods to do mods job and not settle lawsuits between users (Why did you downvote me, fanboy?).
The trolls are dealt with reporting anyway, the incorrect posts could simply be proven wrong with an argument.

I know it's not a popular opinion or suggestion, but even ruling out possibility is good for the final outcome.

Steven
Owner

The system was never intended to be used an an "I agree" system, and it certainly has never been advised as such either. If that has come across like that, forget it as soon as you can.
strad wrote:Why do I get upvotes in threads I have never posted in?...
I will look into that as soon as I can!
Also note that there is a known bug when mods are moving posts from thread to thread. In that case, the thread ratings are not recalculated, so there is an incorrect total displayed on the thread.

If any bug is discovered, please do let me know!
gray41 wrote:Do the mods scan through all the threads down voting anything they don't deem up vote worthy?
We scan from time to time to see if there is no abuse or misuse. Members are contacted through PMs when needed, but we are certainly not scrolling to the votes and correcting them on a daily basis. The system effectively relies upon the ability of people coming to a consensus. When 5 or 10 people rate a post, we expect the resulting value to be a reasonable impression of what the community thinks, no matter if that is not always identical to what we think ;)

bhall
bhall

basti313 wrote:Well, we sometimes encourage these people. There is a bunch of people warposting pictures from AMuS or Sutton in the car threads just to get upvotes. Some have pushed this so far to have several hundred upvotes just by posting pictures from other people...

[...]
Though I guess I can understand the criticism, I think the regular deluge of photos within the car threads is one of the best aspects of the forum. For one, it presents the best opportunities for us to spot new stuff, and, perhaps most importantly, it means I don't have to find the photos for myself. I cannot emphasize enough how much I really don't want to have to do that.

"Value" will always mean different things to different people, and I think voting trends tend to reflect that.

(I'd still prefer it to be abolished, though.)

Cam

iotar__ wrote:Another example of failure of forum ranking.
This was an attempt at an insult from a member to me for a comment I posted that the member didn’t like. It’s a good opportunity for me to give my 2 cents on the ranking system.

Overall, I think the ranking system pretty much is spot on, and the member rankings more or less accurately reflect the quantity versus quality and value that they bring.

Evidence - (as of writing this post). Now, I realise that some members posted more before the rating system was introduced, however even including this, the data still shows valued contribution is rewarded. The only way to be sure, would be to get post amounts from the time the ranking system started - but I don’t think this will change the final result much. Member join date in brackets.

@stefan_: 562 (2922 posts / 3.52 posts per day) - 19% (2/12)

@bahall: 335 (1746 posts / 1.58 posts per day) - 22% (3/06)

@beelsebob: 158 (5998 posts / 5.22 posts per day) - 2% (3/11)

@raymondu999: 133 (11939 posts / 7.65 posts per day) - 1% (2/10)

@Owen.C93: 121 (1603 posts / 1.15 posts per day) - 7% (7/10)

@Cam: 87 (1335 posts / 1.66 posts per day) - 6% (3/12)

@iotar___: 8 (718 posts / 1.21 posts per day) - 1% (9/12)

@n smikle: -26 (5006 posts / 2.31 posts per day) - -0.5% (6/2008)

@neno: -36 (563 posts / 0.39 posts per day) - -6.3% (5/10)

Summary - As for myself, apart from taking almost a year off (as I hated this forum for a while), I accept I am a controversial member. I don’t really contribute technical info, as I’m no engineer or physicist. Often, I’ll state wildly confronting theories and get panned as a result. There are members who I argue with, but overall I’ve never voted a member down for a personal issue and I’m sure quality members vote for my posts for the reason intended - I try to offer value - that’s the whole point isn’t it? You can be wrong and still offer value. You can be right and offer nothing more than was already known.

Your ranking reflects the value you bring the forum - as a whole. As in most situations, the cream rises to the top. I’m more than happy to see alternate theories @iotar___, if you’re up to it?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Steven wrote:

The system was never intended to be used an an "I agree" system, and it certainly has never been advised as such either. If that has come across like that, forget it as soon as you can.
You may say that Steven but this is what Strad posted on May 12:
OK..I got "dinged" for offering a plus one or a emoticon the indicates I agree with a previous poster.
I was told by the Mod that I should use the upvote function.
I thought this section made it clear that the up/down vote function was NOT for simply agreeing or not.
Which is it?
Also since when do you get into trouble for agreeing?
Why do you think it takes a wordy response to thank a guy for posting personal photos that his family took in the past?

basti313
basti313

bhall wrote:
basti313 wrote:Well, we sometimes encourage these people. There is a bunch of people warposting pictures from AMuS or Sutton in the car threads just to get upvotes. Some have pushed this so far to have several hundred upvotes just by posting pictures from other people...

[...]
Though I guess I can understand the criticism, I think the regular deluge of photos within the car threads is one of the best aspects of the forum. For one, it presents the best opportunities for us to spot new stuff, and, perhaps most importantly, it means I don't have to find the photos for myself. I cannot emphasize enough how much I really don't want to have to do that.

"Value" will always mean different things to different people, and I think voting trends tend to reflect that.

(I'd still prefer it to be abolished, though.)
Well, I do not want to say anything about nice, detailed shots of new parts. Or maybe an overview of the car from two sides as it is in FP so that others can find interesting details. This is also useful for me. And would be even more useful if people would at least post the source and if there are other shots to find.

The problem is more, that there are whole pages of a car driving into the pits, driving out of the pits, car being in the garage with bad view, car being pushed into the garage with nothing to see...in a thread that is cleaned from any slight off topic posts with bans...

If people would at least look at the pictures and select only good shots this would be ok. But they do not have the time anymore, because as soon as AMuS has their pictures from FP1 online they have to be fast to get the first post for upvotes.

For me this is actually the big problem in the car threads and is for me clearly against the rating system as posts without any text, but only pirated pictures gain the most upvotes.
Don`t russel the hamster!

NathanOlder

strad wrote:OK..I got "dinged" for offering a plus one or a emoticon the indicates I agree wiih a previous poster.
I was told by the Mod that I should use the upvote function.
I thought this section made it clear that the up/down vote function was NOT for simply agreeing or not.
Which is it?
Also since when do you get into trouble for agreeing?
Why do you think it takes a wordy response to thank a guy for posting personal photos that his family took in the past?
I was told by a mod that only use the upvote if I think a post was helpful. Not if I agreed with it. Since then , my voting power was removed :oops:
never mind , the voting system is pointless, so people who down vote others, get a life, using It just gives someone the power to disagree and hide. If you disagree, speak up and voice your opinion.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

strad

I don't think all Mods are on the same page. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Giblet
Giblet

I just came back after a long absence. My voting should be a study in the system.

I have made a handful of posts since I was back, and I have not voted on a single post.

My history shows activity in threads I have never visited let alone posted in.

I find it very confusing TBH.

EDIT: Ok, part of the confusion is when you click on "View my votes" under the User menu at the top, it takes me to a page that shows all votes. I then have to click on 'my votes' again to see my own list.

IMO the link under the User Menu at the top should be changed to 'view all recent votes' or have the link take you to your own instead of everyone's.
Last edited by Giblet on 15 May 2014, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

George-Jung
George-Jung

It is just a popularity contest.. so everybody, get over it 8)

Giblet
Giblet

George-Jung wrote:It is just a popularity contest.. so everybody, get over it 8)
That is not the intention and unfortunate people view it that way.

If you post good stuff, you will be popular.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute