F1T summer update

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

F1T summer update

Well, we're in Europe, so it's a summer update ;)
Anyway, there's a bunch of changes in an attempt to improve your experience. A lot of behind the doors changes have also been done to prepare and facilitate future updates.

Apart from what cannot be seen, here are the most important modifications:
- Style changes, including a menu easier to use on touch devices. Restructured and less cluttered
- The menu sticks to the top of the page when scrolling down for easier access and highlights the currently active item
- The forum now allows you to ignore users, hiding their posts (but allowing you to show them again on a per-post basis)
- Downvotes now require a reason. Those reasons can still be modifed, and feedback is welcome!
- A single and clear page for to list our technical features http://www.f1technical.net/articles/
- All known, except the total thread rating bug have been solved in the voting system

Feel free to report any issues, grievances or praise in this thread.
Enjoy

Callum

Re: F1T summer update

Is the site a bit quicker, too? Or am I just imagining it?

Steven
Owner

It may be. Squashing bugs and using google to serve the jquery javascript library may surely have helped.

db__

I like the menu bar change - small comment though, Using Android (4.4.2 on HTC One, default browser) when you have scrolled down and the menu is detached it's not possible to access the far right hand side of the menu. I can PM a screenshot if that helps.

Also - is it possible for future updates to have some big 'next' & 'previous' buttons for use on touch devices.

D

tim|away

When using the "jump to newest post" feature, it works as expected. However, the new menu overlays the top part of the post, hiding the date and author. This is of course only a minor inconvenience, as one can scroll up to reveal that information. I just thought I'd suggest to factor in the height of the menu when using the "jump to newest post" function, so the full post would be revealed right away.

hollus

There is a bug using safari, at least in my iphone and my ipad.
For the little menu below the animated F1tecnical logo (news, Technology, Database, Photos, Forum, More), only the Photos and More work. Sometimes, after a while, News and Technology also work, but I haven't been able to access "Forum" from there yet, instead I am forced to go to the link in the lower left part of the page.
Rivals, not enemies.

turbof1

I can confirm that. Since the forum dropdown menu is especially important for me as a moderator, to access the moderation panel, it's important to fix that.
#AeroFrodo

gray41

I'm getting the same problem getting on the forum via the drop down menu. (I usually select the new posts option)
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Steven
Owner

hollus wrote:There is a bug using safari, at least in my iphone and my ipad.
For the little menu below the animated F1tecnical logo (news, Technology, Database, Photos, Forum, More), only the Photos and More work. Sometimes, after a while, News and Technology also work, but I haven't been able to access "Forum" from there yet, instead I am forced to go to the link in the lower left part of the page.
Right, sounds terribly annoying.
I did try in Safari on my Windows machine, but there all works fine. Sadly now I have no way to reproduce this, not being an owner of an ipad or iphone :( I'll see what I can do nonetheless.

More reports welcome of course. I'll do my best!

Steven
Owner

What version of Safari are you running anyway?
I've got 5.1.6 but all looks ok

gray41

Its totally fine on my mac, just on my iPhone it doesn't work.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

gandharva

I really dislike the new Forum Button, as now, I have to use the dropdown menu and press Categories instead of being able to directly press the Forum button. I also dislike the new scrolling feature as it invariably wastes screen space (yes, my monitor is big enough, but that's not the point) with features I personally don't use much.

MercedesAMGSpy

- Downvotes now require a reason. Those reasons can still be modifed, and feedback is welcome!

Very good point, time to introduce this asap, because people abuse their powers.

Steven
Owner

gandharva wrote:I really dislike the new Forum Button, as now, I have to use the dropdown menu and press Categories instead of being able to directly press the Forum button. I also dislike the new scrolling feature as it wastes screen space (yes, my monitor is big enough, but that's not the point) with features I personally don't use.
The direct link on the forum menu was an issue for touch devices, as their users were unable to go directly to the subitems of the forum menu.
As for the menu that stays in place, I don't think it's THAT much space, is it? :)

turbof1

It does work on the chrome browser app for ios.
#AeroFrodo