Logo change

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner
User avatar
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:32 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Logo change

Post by Steven » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 am

bhall II wrote:Easy fix...

http://i.imgur.com/LcSoBD3.png
Haha. I remember that press conference :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot
299
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Logo change

Post by PlatinumZealot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:37 pm

turbof1 wrote:
Phil wrote:is this what I think it means?
I'll try to be diplomatic here as I can, and that means that particular question cannot be answered with a yes or no.

First off, I have to make a reference to this specific page:
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... lines.html

It essentially tells that "Formula One" is their licensed brand, and this includes the list of derivitives mentioned on the website. We got contacted to make changes in regard of that. We did not necessarily had to change it to GPTechnical, BUT the limited options we had would have forced us to create a rather dull F1 logo which would be very distant from the logo we are associated with.

Remains the question of course: there are a few hundred websites out there with 'F1' in their logo's. We have to assume all of those were contacted.

We have reason to believe there will be sites who respectfully declined the request from FOM. It would be debatable if juristical action would be taken against these sites given the widespread of it. That's either way none of our business and neither was that part of the decision we made.

Ultimately, we made a decision to stay on good terms with FOM, knowing they decide about a whole lot of none-juridical aspects as well (and without going into detail: these are quite important aspects!).

I know that's a rather vague answer, and I'm not sure at the moment how far I can go with speaking about this. I wish I could just blatantly tell "we took this decision for specific reason X", but ultimately that's up to Steven. Just know we had a good reason to change our name and logo, with pain in our hearts!
The very first logo was the best one one. This new one though is basically the same as previous with different letters so still doesn't do much for me... (who cares what I think anyway lol). I wish you guys had a logo competition though.

BanMeToo
14
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Logo change

Post by BanMeToo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:The very first logo was the best one one.
I think so too.

Ganxxta
4
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 pm
Location: Germany, NRW

Re: Logo change

Post by Ganxxta » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:22 pm

Phil wrote:For example; I'm fairly certain that any car maker, like BMW has their logos protected too - but I don't see them going around contacting the thousands if not millions of communities that use that logo in some way because they have built a community for that brand.
There is a small difference between for example BMW and FOM:

One wants to increase brand awareness, loyalty and form a community to spread word of mouth and the other wants to make money by selling everything related to the brand... :roll:

Webber2011
37
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 am
Location: Australia NSW

Re: Logo change

Post by Webber2011 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:25 am

Can't we have the little cog spinning around thingy make a comeback ?
I really liked that :D

It really is ridiculous the lengths they go too in order to alienate fans.
Way back when I first discovered Forums I joined a Formula 1 board.
There was probably only something in the order of 20 members at the time.
The guy running it had used a picture of an F1 car in his logo, and it wasn't very long until he got the nasty email.
It wasn't just the logo he got pinged on either, so in the end he just gave up and the Forum died a quick death.

Good to see you have come to some sort of agreement to keep the hounds at bay :wink:

It's the same as most things I guess, us old bastards hate change, but eventually get used to it.

Diesel
50
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Logo change

Post by Diesel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Steven wrote:
Diesel wrote:Your original logo didn't violate any part of those guidelines. Can you perhaps reference the specific section you were told you had to comply with?

Fair play if you wanted to change it, but you've set a dangerous president by doing based on the unjustified demand...
None of this site's previous logos ever complied with the rules that they are handling.
The bottom line that the current modification doesn't violate any copyright or include any trademark, which is a positive, even though it will require some getting used to.
No I disagree, none of your previous logos ever violated those guidelines, and they are guidelines not rules.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP

George-Jung
29
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Logo change

Post by George-Jung » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:42 am

I understand the reason, but I do not like the new logo..
It could have been done better.

Steven
Owner
User avatar
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:32 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Logo change

Post by Steven » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:54 am

George-Jung wrote:I understand the reason, but I do not like the new logo..
It could have been done better.
Suggestions welcome :)

strad
239
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Logo change

Post by strad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:20 pm

from my experience they have some highly paid lawyers on retainer that have nothing better to do than intimidate and harass small private parties that actually do them no harm and in fact provide advertisement and information for their business.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

Gettingonabit
0
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Logo change

Post by Gettingonabit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 am

Honestly I'm not too worried about the name or logo the content is the most important thing for me and its still the best site for F1 stuff.

Fanboys and hatters aside. :lol:

SunsAnvil
4
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Logo change

Post by SunsAnvil » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:41 am

I have to say that it makes little difference to me. F1 Tech or GP Tech, the quality of information found here is not impacted.

On the other hand, the small minded and unnecessarily intimidating behaviour of FOM is very disappointing.

Godius
146
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Re: Logo change

Post by Godius » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:42 am

To be honest the F1.com site always had a recurring article about aero- and mechanical updates that was named 'Technical'. So in that sense it kind of make sense that they want to protect the f1-technical branding for themselves.

bill shoe
189
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Re: Logo change

Post by bill shoe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 pm

I figure it's a win for this website if the Formula One Powers That Be (FOPTB) felt a need to worry about the name. Good job Steven et al !!! =D> =D> =D>

joshuagore
0
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Logo change

Post by joshuagore » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:45 am

bhall II wrote:Easy fix...

http://i.imgur.com/LcSoBD3.png
This is pure gold.

LVDH
21
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Logo change

Post by LVDH » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:35 pm

strad wrote:... and in fact provide advertisement and information for their business.
Maybe they feel like they have enough of that.
Aren't the viewer numbers and track side visitors increasing the last years?

In the end it is their business and obviously they know best.

If there is still the possibility for a better logo I would vote for the easy fix. I like it a lot.