More Moderators Please

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Big Tea

Re: More Moderators Please

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:47
SiLo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:38
AeroDynamic wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:42

I forgot, you cannot criticise anyone publicly. Only directly in their feedback page, and anonymously :? Which I could if I knew which members were maliciously sending me comments in my feedback :)
I think it's more calling it feminine that's the issue here. And saying "grow up" really doesn't help things either. That's just an excuse to ignore derogatory or attacking comments that can turn people away from civil discussion and critical thinking. Both of which really help the forum be a great place to enjoy commentary and conversation about F1.

Are there some that get offended a bit too easily? Maybe, but being offended is subjective and entirely personal.

I see a lot of posts where people are just effectively insulting each other, and just ignore what the other person is trying to say. It's very easy to get sucked into these arguments when you believe something different and what they are saying contradicts your beliefs. Changing someone's beliefs are very difficult, as beliefs generally are grounded in experiences. At the moment my only play for a lot of it is to not get involved. But I can't help responding to certain people... :roll:
The grow up and feminine thing is directed at people taking time to find post of someone they have a personal problem with, and neg them childishly. Over using emojis? :) It wasn’t directed at people in here addressing the issues you’re talking about.

And it is feminine to go after another’s reputation. Its not what I’m calling it, It’s been studied by the psychologists-about the traits and manifestations of aggression-it’s what the data says. And I love data. :lol:
It does not really matter if it 'data proven' or not, it is an easy target for stereotyping as an insult and just the thing to get a stream of 'that's personal' or genderist or several other accusations which can take on a life of its own with no relation to the original post is what I mean.
I, as you probably, would not take it as an insult, but some posters seem to be looking for any excuse to cause an argument and this could become polarising (in a PC way) .
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 17:03
AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:47
SiLo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:38

I think it's more calling it feminine that's the issue here. And saying "grow up" really doesn't help things either. That's just an excuse to ignore derogatory or attacking comments that can turn people away from civil discussion and critical thinking. Both of which really help the forum be a great place to enjoy commentary and conversation about F1.

Are there some that get offended a bit too easily? Maybe, but being offended is subjective and entirely personal.

I see a lot of posts where people are just effectively insulting each other, and just ignore what the other person is trying to say. It's very easy to get sucked into these arguments when you believe something different and what they are saying contradicts your beliefs. Changing someone's beliefs are very difficult, as beliefs generally are grounded in experiences. At the moment my only play for a lot of it is to not get involved. But I can't help responding to certain people... :roll:
The grow up and feminine thing is directed at people taking time to find post of someone they have a personal problem with, and neg them childishly. Over using emojis? :) It wasn’t directed at people in here addressing the issues you’re talking about.

And it is feminine to go after another’s reputation. Its not what I’m calling it, It’s been studied by the psychologists-about the traits and manifestations of aggression-it’s what the data says. And I love data. :lol:
It does not really matter if it 'data proven' or not, it is an easy target for stereotyping as an insult and just the thing to get a stream of 'that's personal' or genderist or several other accusations which can take on a life of its own with no relation to the original post is what I mean.
I, as you probably, would not take it as an insult, but some posters seem to be looking for any excuse to cause an argument and this could become polarising (in a PC way) .

Are you looking out for me a little? :’ )

I get why some people will, it doesn’t matter what I do or say, they hate me and are ramping up the effort to bombard moderators inbox’s to do me, Jonathan Wheatley style. What will be will be.

Steven
Owner

nzjrs wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 19:48
Deafening silence from the mods. Ciao Bella.
1. We (try to) have a life as well you know :mrgreen:
2. I think letting the discussion run a bit without too much mod questions etc can be good.

Anyway, a new mod is likely entering the field soon ;)
Candidates can send their resume as well - please don't be too eager, that's suspicious :P

Also, as for rating abuse, obviously there are a lot of votes to take into account, but rest assured, PMs are being sent (perhaps not enough, but it feels like quite a lot already).

dans79

Steven wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 18:53
nzjrs wrote:
2. I think letting the discussion run a bit without too much mod questions etc can be good.

Candidates can send their resume as well - please don't be too eager, that's suspicious :P

Also, as for rating abuse, obviously there are a lot of votes to take into account, but rest assured, PMs are being sent (perhaps not enough, but it feels like quite a lot already).
Can we nominate people? nzjrs and i both agree on some people!
197 104 103 7

Chene_Mostert

dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 19:15
Steven wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

No.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Wouter

Chene_Mostert wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 19:40
dans79 wrote:
Steven wrote:

No.
I agree @Chene_Mostert. Absolutely no! A moderator should be neutral.
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 20:27
Chene_Mostert wrote:
dans79 wrote:

No.
And I think you would find thats for Steven and the current moderators to deicide, not the users!
197 104 103 7

Steven
Owner

Public candidacy and voting for moderators works fairly well on very big sites like stackoverflow.com

However here, I'm not convinced. The fact that it's already like "nzjrs and I agree on some people" proves it'll be gang forming anyway.

Basically, everybody is free to PM me whatever they want. If that includes suggestions, fine, we'll discuss that in the mod group.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Steven wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 00:51
Public candidacy and voting for moderators works fairly well on very big sites like stackoverflow.com

However here, I'm not convinced. The fact that it's already like "nzjrs and I agree on some people" proves it'll be gang forming anyway.

Basically, everybody is free to PM me whatever they want. If that includes suggestions, fine, we'll discuss that in the mod group.
Quite so. Sadly it's all but impossible.

If you take, for example, Wouter and Ryar, dans79 and myself, you'll have people that have a preference.

Take others and you'll find other preferences.

Humans have biased views about things.All humans.

If you want to make moderation more neutral, you have to publicise everything they do and make it available to view. Decide a post is OK? Show why. Decide a post should be deleted? Show why.

You'll quickly see where posts are allowed/deleted on spurious grounds and when on reasonable grounds.

If mods aren't prepared to accept those rules then they shouldn't be mods.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

I have bias too.

Allthough I do see myself as reasonable (for the most part). But, sorry to say, these days some forum topics do feel like an echo chamber were only one sound is allowed and is constantly amplified. By Say 10 guys.

They rule the forum defacto and make it so I don’t want to post anymore, and when I do do, get drawn into ridiculous (false) reasoning which always leaves me feeling both a bit abused and unhappy with my own contribution.

I would LOVE a forum where you can openly discuss, see the others point. People like that have always been the people that helped me grow and develop.

I feel the moderating has not been doing much to stop this. Even when I have reported it. Nothing gets done.

Now, this might be as even a forum mod has bias, and why shouldn’t they, but I don’t feel it is for the best of all of us, no matter who you support and for that matter, this whole forum. Imho it is supposed to be for a mature discussion, with technical insight about racing and the cars, shared.

Big Tea

Would it assist if mods were anonymous? Still allowed to post under their own user name but their identity not known to the 'general public'?

The mods themselves of course would need to know who was who to keep an eye on bias or baiting, but they could act in the fashion of jury taken from the public.

There would be no 'glory' in this but equally no finger pointing, and the mod could continue to use the board in 'plain clothes' without any slight that may be implied as it is being now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

dans79 wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 20:30
Wouter wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 20:27
Chene_Mostert wrote:

No.
And I think you would find thats for Steven and the current moderators to deicide, not the users!
In order for Mods to be effective they need to either be totally non-partisan OR operate as a committee.

However, calling for more mods but at the same time the death of god is a little ironic (sorry, couldn’t help myself there!! 🤦‍♂️)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

nzjrs

Steven wrote:

Hahaha bollocks, I think no one would agree that dans79 and I are in the same 'gang'. That's kind of the point and it was notable we agree on useful independent parties.

Many posters have jumped on his reply as evidence of something? but it seems only evidence of their shallow reading and the tone here in the last years. Shame really.

AeroDynamic

Meh. I think this approach is wrong. There will NEVER be enough moderation. Maybe in short bursts of time they can police a situation, but in general, to a sustained level? No. I say this as a moderator from prolific forum in a different community.

Easiest thing would be to segregate team and race chat to some ‘fans’ section And let anything other than bad language go. Keep the technical moderated and clean and separate. Anyone that derails a technical area after a warning should get a temp ban for a month.

But that’s just my opinion :wink:

RZS10

nzjrs wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:49
Steven wrote:

Hahaha bollocks, I think no one would agree that dans79 and I are in the same 'gang'. That's kind of the point and it was notable we agree on useful independent parties.

Many posters have jumped on his reply as evidence of something? but it seems only evidence of their shallow reading and the tone here in the last years. Shame really.
I'm relatively sure that i've seen you both a disagree almost more often than the opposite tbh and i read the "nzjrs and i both agree on some people" exactly as such: you might disagree about various things on the forum but can still agree on certain people despite that. Or did i get that wrong?