Post rating system changes

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Post rating system changes

Hi all,

Our post rating system that we have in place was always designed to be able to identify valuable posts. Thinking that if people would rate valuable stuff, new members can have an easier time choosing what to read first, and perhaps what not to read.

With the forum growing, we already disabled rating in the race threads several years ago, and we're going to extend this further. In essence, rating will be disabled in the entire F1>General chat subforum.

While doing this, we will also start deleting existing ratings done in all the topics in these subfora. This will inevitably see the rating of most members drop considerably, but it will make the user ratings more representative to what we aim to achieve: a valuable community and source of information for the technical minds.

Best regards,
The F1T Team,
Steven

jjn9128

Re: Post rating system changes

Eminently sensible to refocus the forum toward its technical roots.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

cooken

Steven wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 21:41
In essence, rating will be disabled in the entire F1>General chat subforum.

While doing this, we will also start deleting existing ratings done in all the topics in these subfora. This will inevitably see the rating of most members drop considerably, ...
Yep, this sweep includes team threads if I'm not mistaken. Going to be quite the culling....

Proper thing.

adrianjordan

I suspect I'll lose almost all my ratings, but I wholeheartedly approve of this change.

I miss the technical focus the forum used to have.

Hopefully the new regs will reignite the activity in the car threads back to what it used to be.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

J.A.W.

Cool by me..

Does this apply to opinion-based downvotes
in those threads, & so they'll disappear too?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Hoffman900

Looking forward to this and talking tech.

Zynerji

Can we get the same for downvotes? Lots of those are for similar things...

Steven
Owner

In "General Chat" and "Formula One Teams", all votes, positive and negative, will be erased, and no future voting will be possible.

This has already happened to "Formula One Teams" so some drop in reps will be noticeable. Most ratings are however done in the car threads, so people contributing there a lot will see less impact than those focusing on the team threads so far.

"General Chat" still needs some cleanup, which in some cases means moving threads to a technical section as well. When all this is done, voting will be disabled there too.

Thanks for welcoming these changes!

dave kumar

I agree that this will help refocus voting on posts with technical merit. I know this is technically difficult, but it would be helpful to have a filter to only show posts in a thread that have more than 'n' upvotes (n>0, n>1, n>2, ...), ie. those with technical merit. Take the Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software thread, over a thousand pages but some real gems in there...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874

If we can get to the good posts more easily, then that should encourage people to read them and may be even upvote them - stigmergy, it works for the termites.
Formerly known as senna-toleman

Wouter

Steven wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:29
In "General Chat" and "Formula One Teams", all votes, positive and negative, will be erased, and no future voting will be possible.

This has already happened to "Formula One Teams" so some drop in reps will be noticeable. Most ratings are however done in the car threads, so people contributing there a lot will see less impact than those focusing on the team threads so far.

"General Chat" still needs some cleanup, which in some cases means moving threads to a technical section as well. When all this is done, voting will be disabled there too.

Thanks for welcoming these changes!
The "General Honda F1 Topic" doesn't appear to be a technical topic, but quite a lot of technically valuable stuff has been posted there in recent years by Japanese members, but especially by Honda's @Wazari, who updated us on the situation/upgrades, etc of the Honda PU in both General and Technical Honda topics. This topic should be part of the technical section, because there are really a lot of technical posts in it. Is this possible to move this to a technical section?
The Power of Dreams!

torpor

Hello,
what does that mean to people like me who earned some negative ratings for posting some unpoplar opinions on the McLaren MCL32 livery? I'm not allowed to post without approval at the moment. Will I experience God grace now?
Thank you 🙏

Steven
Owner

torpor wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 11:43
Hello,
what does that mean to people like me who earned some negative ratings for posting some unpoplar opinions on the McLaren MCL32 livery? I'm not allowed to post without approval at the moment. Will I experience God grace now?
Thank you 🙏
As said, negative ratings are also removed. Not sure what was your old rating, but it may have changed already, perhaps positively.

The rating however is not linked to the moderation queue. It's the mod team that decides (based on various things) if someone needs to be there for the forum's sake or not. I'll review that and PM you back on this.

jjn9128

#prayformorteza :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mclaren111

jjn9128 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 12:24
#prayformorteza :lol:
=D> =D>

I'm not far behind... :D :D

west52keep64

Wouter wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 11:04
The "General Honda F1 Topic" doesn't appear to be a technical topic, but quite a lot of technically valuable stuff has been posted there in recent years by Japanese members, but especially by Honda's @Wazari, who updated us on the situation/upgrades, etc of the Honda PU in both General and Technical Honda topics. This topic should be part of the technical section, because there are really a lot of technical posts in it. Is this possible to move this to a technical section?
I disagree, it's a general topic and if people posted in the wrong topic that's kind of part of the problem this change is hoping to solve. A lot of the upvotes in that thread on are on things like shared social media posts and pictures of Max and Sergio walking around in their overalls, which is not very technical if you ask me.
Steven wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:29
You probably should have kept this under your hat, now everyone is going to be lobbying you to move threads they voted in so their rating isn't reduced.

To paraphrase Toto Wolff in a recent radio communication with the F1 race director, expect plenty of this:
No Steven! No no Steven that was so not right!