F1technical newsletter: what do you expect?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

F1technical newsletter: what do you expect?

Hi guys,

I've been evaluating some of our site topics and services to see where we could improve best to attract more regular visitors, that is people that come back often or also prevent them from forgetting us.

In particular now I'm thinking about the newsletter, and thought there is more in it than what it is now. Does anyone of you have comments, basically:

- what did you expect from the newsletter when you subscribed?
- which info would you find useful to send you as a mail?

Thanks in advance for your time!

ps: if you were thinking "what newsletter is he talking about?", then please add your comments because that is approximately my point ;)

flynfrog

Re: F1technical newsletter: what do you expect?

I race calendar for the month would be cool

I dont really need a site update since im here every day anyway

donskar

"what newsletter is he talking about?"
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Steven
Owner

donskar wrote:"what newsletter is he talking about?"
:lol: OK well, there is a newsletter here, which everyone can subscribe on, and which every site member gets automatically. So far it has only been used for major site updates, but not really for new content.

So, since there is a newsletter system, tell me what you'd like to get in your mailbox ;)

checkered

Well, I visit this

site fairly often, so it's hard to imagine what the newsletter is usable for in addition to my usual beaten paths. Obviously, it would have to be something that adds value to what we already have here. For those who come by more seldom but regularly, like once a month or so, a newsletter could serve as a sort of a roadmap of what's been happening. Of course, it could include "exclusives" but those sorts of things I've come to view as somewhat artificial and contrived.

That being said, I'm sure there are some who like their news with less clicking about - even if it's online. I even tried to Google for "e-newsletter theories" but it came up with nothing much, perhaps there isn't too much research in the area. Certainly phenomena like feeds, "vlogging", social networking and IM'ing are gaining ground on email and msgboards, albeit I wouldn't write them off anytime soon no matter what some hyperactive new media pundits dismiss as obsolete.

Whatever I make use of online, I like to see if and how it can be personalised, that's a big plus.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Giblet

You need to keep in mind that I'm sure every user here goes to more then one website.

I go here for the the technical side only (forums), and rely on other sites for editorials and news. Not that one site is better or I am elitist, it just happens to be where my loyalties lie.0

Getting the newsletter (which I now know exists due to this thread) would be pointless for me, but targetting it at other users that don't come here would be good.

Partner sites and good old adverts work still.

I go to gpupdate.net daily, and they paid to have a sticker (through members donations) on the bottom of Christian Albers helmet.

Another good method is propogating an RSS feed in as many places (RSS listings for example) as possible.

This being said, simply asking all existing users to pass the newsletter to _any_ F1 enthusiast they know can't hurt. This site has done a lot for its registered user base, so nobody here will be offended if you ask us to do small things for the greater good.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Steven
Owner

Well, I've done some work on the newsletter thing, I think it's pretty much done so I hope to get it launched some time soon. Mostly the idea is to send out one more often, trying to keep users informed that only occasionally come here or have totally abandoned.

We'll see how it goes, I'll ask for some more feedback in the first mail so that more changes can be made in the process.

I now also realise that this forum is probably not the place to ask about the newsletter, as most people active here visit often and don't experience an added value of it ;)