2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gillian

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Both crashes today and the crash from Leclerc yesterday seemed like driver errors to me. Compare the line Sainz took and how far he went over the curb to other drivers. Same error twice...

Leclerc did great today.

Mansell89

Fantastic result for LeClerc- can he do anything special in the race if Lewis and Max have any dramas and/or safety car timings work well?

JPBD1990

Great result from Charles. He turned it out when it mattered, and I humbly eat my words.

Carlos has had a good run recently. Sh*t happens. Just wishing them both well for tomorrow.

Andres125sx

Congratulations to Charles, 4th is impressive. And a bit dissapointed with Carlos. I think this qualifying showed biggest weakness from Carlos, he makes some mistakes when it matters while Charles is the opposite, he looks tame in FP and Q1, but when it matters he (almost) always nail it.

Hopefully in the race Carlos will show his biggest strenght too, doing a solid race and collecting some points, but I´m not too optimistic as this track is going to be a PITA to overtake

Gillian

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 12:27
Congratulations to Charles, 4th is impressive. And a bit dissapointed with Carlos. I think this qualifying showed biggest weakness from Carlos, he makes some mistakes when it matters while Charles is the opposite, he looks tame in FP and Q1, but when it matters he (almost) always nail it.

Hopefully in the race Carlos will show his biggest strenght too, doing a solid race and collecting some points, but I´m not too optimistic as this track is going to be a PITA to overtake
I feel it's the other way around... Leclerc has some spectacular results but also has messed up when great opportunities where their. Sainz is less spectacular but more consistent. He made the same mistake twice in qualifying which to me is very uncharacteristic for Sainz.

Andres125sx

Agree about Sainz consistency, but more in race than qualifying. Qualifying is not his biggest strenght. I´m not saying he´s weak in Q, but not his strongest point either

To be fair, second mistake might be caused by the damaged endplate, he said the car was undrivable, but OTOH he was being very fast up to that point so not sure how damaged was the car...

Andres125sx

Apparently T11 was flat for Sainz in Q, but suddenly he lost it and damaged the endplate. That´s weird, if that´s the case, then maybe it was not Sainz mistake :?:
Carlos Sainz wrote:“It is something to analyse, something to look into what I could have done differently as it’s a snap of oversteer that I was not expecting. This corner has been flat for me for the whole of qualifying, and for some reason in that lap, I lost the rear, but we’ll look at it and come back from it.”
From this article:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... UyZLI.html

Gillian

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 13:03
Agree about Sainz consistency, but more in race than qualifying. Qualifying is not his biggest strenght. I´m not saying he´s weak in Q, but not his strongest point either

To be fair, second mistake might be caused by the damaged endplate, he said the car was undrivable, but OTOH he was being very fast up to that point so not sure how damaged was the car...
Look back at both Sainz' laps and watch how far he goes over the curb. Then go watch other drivers qualifying laps. It's impossible for everyone to drive the curb like he did. Damage or not, the line he wanted to take was impossible as far as I can judge...

politburo

Leclerc Podium is on the cards here with a sound strategy.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

JPower

Solid race.

Both cars were screwed by the restarts but all in all, they got home in one piece. It was good to see both drivers battling as well. Hopefully the practice pays off for next year.

That moves Leclerc into P5 overall with Sainz only 5.5 points behind Lando. That was Sainz's 14th straight race in the points.

Should be able to lock in P3 in Abu Dhabi fairly easily.

JPower

Was looking at the F1 timing app and Ferrari was reliably achieving higher speeds down the straights than either McLaren. Good sign for next year IMO.

jumpingfish

JPower wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:02
Was looking at the F1 timing app and Ferrari was reliably achieving higher speeds down the straights than either McLaren. Good sign for next year IMO.
Agreed. I thought that track would be hard for Ferrari engines compared to Mercedes-McLaren, but both cars in points. Also for 2022 they need good tyre management, if driver can stay longer he can win by pitting under red flags-SC. It seems Ferrari did more 18" tyre tests than any other team so probably that gathered info can help them.

jumpingfish

If this is not just a rumor.

Todt in talks to return to Ferrari after FIA presidency
Ferrari is in discussions with outgoing FIA president Jean Todt for a return to the Formula 1 team in an advisory role.
Corriere Della Sera reports that Todt first spoke to Ferrari president John Elkann about a possible consulting role at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours.
In the role, Todt would support Mattia Binotto, who is Ferrari’s team principal and managing director after being promoted from chief technical officer in 2019.
It would be similar in theory to the influence Niki Lauda had at Mercedes, where the three-time world champion was non-executive chairman until his death two years ago.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/todt-in- ... residency/

JPower

Ferrari was one of the quickest cars down the back straight at Jeddah, only second to Mercedes.

I have a feeling the car will be quick at Abu Dhabi.

codetower

JPower wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 20:45

Ferrari was one of the quickest cars down the back straight at Jeddah, only second to Mercedes.

I have a feeling the car will be quick at Abu Dhabi.
The Ferraris have some decent speed, it seems. Even the Alfas posted some eye opening speeds this past weekend. It seems to me that the Ferrari PU is not as bad as we've thought. Looks like the issues lie with the SF21 itself, not the PU. With the new ES, aside from better energy recovery, Ferrari (The Alfas or the Haas' haven't gotten the new hybrid elements) have been able to run more downforce and tweak a few things so it helps with overall performance, but looks like the issues are more in the aero, chassis, tyre management, etc. Am I missing something, or are we really not that far behind in the PU?