2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Stu

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

Posts removed here? Responses to @tpe comment have mostly gone???
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:11
politburo wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:05
Why are people speculating so much about gearboxes when all you can do is wait for the team or the FIA to officially release the news anyway?.
Because it’s discussion about F1 on a F1 forum?
Who would have thought members of an F1 forum would be discussing things about F1.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Starkblood80 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:28
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:11
politburo wrote:
Why are people speculating so much about gearboxes when all you can do is wait for the team or the FIA to officially release the news anyway?.
Because it’s discussion about F1 on a F1 forum?
Who would have thought members of an F1 forum would be discussing things about F1.
Indeed.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

politburo wrote:
Why are people speculating about the race when all you can do is wait until this evening for the race anyway?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nimoraca
nimoraca

Why did the Mercs go for a third run on the same set of mediums in P2.Surely that was not necessary.

henry

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:35
politburo wrote:
Why are people speculating about the race when all you can do is wait until this evening for the race anyway?
I think because if they don’t speculate they have to process all the situations in the race in real time. That’s not very efficient and can lead to brain overload and confused conclusions from the unfolding evidence. In real time situations the brain acts as a comparator constructing an understanding from comparing what’s expected with what’s happening. It’s why many visual illusions work as they do and eye witness reports are less reliable than they might be if they were constructed wholly from the events observed.

Anticipation adds to the experience of many events.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Alexf1
Alexf1

Does anyone have the S3 minisectors of Max crashlap? It's odd he says he heard his team say he had 1 tenth and we saw he had 2. The-race reports he had purple minisectors in S3. Seems to contradict. I'm sure Max had enough time in S3 to look at his steering wheel to see he had 2 tenths. Do drivers see minisectors on their steering wheel? Cause then he could have seen he didn't need to push 101% in final turn.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

henry wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 12:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
politburo wrote:
I think because if they don’t speculate they have to process all the situations in the race in real time. That’s not very efficient and can lead to brain overload and confused conclusions from the unfolding evidence. In real time situations the brain acts as a comparator constructing an understanding from comparing what’s expected with what’s happening. It’s why many visual illusions work as they do and eye witness reports are less reliable than they might be if they were constructed wholly from the events observed.

Anticipation adds to the experience of many events.
I was taking the mickey... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

politburo
politburo

Just_a_fan wrote:
politburo wrote:
The race is certainly going to happen, and there even by speculating at least you can gain something if you bet money on the winner of the race or have some emotional investment in one of the drivers - there is such a dearth of data and info that can lead to one making reasonable conclusions even through speculation in that sense. But then if you are speculating about gearbox changes, which so far as now can only you can't even do qualitatively, since I'd posit only a few people really know how a gearbox gets damaged in the collision, or what the value of the g-forces of the impact were, or even what parts of the car need extensive repair, then wouldn't it be wiser just wait for them to release the information?. Especially since that is all you can do is wait anyway since the only thing you have is conjecture.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Early reports (Dutch journalist and racingnews365) say that Verstappen will escape penalty.

Andres125sx

What a mistake from Max, the lap was awesome until last corner, but as they say to finish first you must first finish. He didn´t need to push that hard in last corner.

Race, or at least the start, will be very interesting. As someone said, if Lewis win and takes the fastest lap, and Max finish second, wich is a foreseeable outcome, they´ll go to the final race with equal points... I can´t remember such a tight championship in more than a decade!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Alexf1 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 12:06
Does anyone have the S3 minisectors of Max crashlap? It's odd he says he heard his team say he had 1 tenth and we saw he had 2. The-race reports he had purple minisectors in S3. Seems to contradict. I'm sure Max had enough time in S3 to look at his steering wheel to see he had 2 tenths. Do drivers see minisectors on their steering wheel? Cause then he could have seen he didn't need to push 101% in final turn.
Horner himself said Verstappen had 4/10ths when taking to Sky.

For me I just think he got in the ‘I’ve gotta push and make this ultra amazing’ mindset. I imagine an older driver (Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo, etc) would have seen their delta and just finished what would have been a pole Lap.

I do think he will learn from this though. Drivers generally do. As a good example Hamilton in Turkey in 2020 said that one of the reasons he didn’t pit at the end for fresh Inters was because of a certain incident in China. He didn’t want to not be in a situation where he couldn’t stop on a slippy pit entry again.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 05 Dec 2021, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Stu

I’m not so sure, I think that the sheer amount of moments all of the way through the field suggests a ‘----or-bust’ mentality right across the grid!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Stu wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 13:26
I’m not so sure, I think that the sheer amount of moments all of the way through the field suggests a ‘----or-bust’ mentality right across the grid!
Yes earlier on I get that but when faced with being on a last run when you know your pole sitter rivals have finished and your 5/10ths up on your previous best and the guy on pole only beat it by 1.5/10ths. I think those drivers mentioned would know that the job was already done.

El Scorchio

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 13:35
Stu wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 13:26
Yes earlier on I get that but when faced with being on a last run when you know your pole sitter rivals have finished and your 5/10ths up on your previous best and the guy on pole only beat it by 1.5/10ths. I think those drivers mentioned would know that the job was already done.
I do agree, although sometimes it can be more distracting to try and consciously ease off a touch. You might lose too much time or make a mistake because your thought process isn’t clear any longer. I guess it’s easy to say after the fact! The line between hero and zero is very thin.