2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NicoS

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

KeiKo403 wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:56
chrisc90 wrote:
17 May 2022, 14:24
bagajohny wrote:
17 May 2022, 14:08
https://www.formu1a.uno/budget-cap-ferr ... derazione/

I wonder how this will go down. The budget cap is certainly going to spice up things as season progresses.
FIA will laugh at that. Ferrari won’t have a idea what others are spending
[sarcasm]Apparently the dossier is a clip of Karun Chandok on the sky pad circling parts of Red Bulls upgrades and giving them arbitrary monetary values. [/sarcasm]
politics! what a spoiler...
Your comment is witty and sharp! The irony is that many of us do actually take the impressions and opinion of presenters and journos as fact... sadly we have allowed the media to do the thinking...
But anyway, thanks for the laugh! :lol: much appreciated!

Spoutnik

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:30
LM10 wrote:
17 May 2022, 15:12
dxpetrov wrote:
17 May 2022, 14:37
LOL, if that's what you wanted to believe, go on! BTW, being kinder on tyres is also something that distinguish a faster from a slower car. One lap pace is not a sole aspect of a car being faster. On another note, once can argue that RB was even faster on single lap, and VER lost the pole due to his mistake, not cz Ferrari beat him.
I don't know what you're discussing about with me. I've watched the races and so far nothing showed me that RBR might be the fastest car in Barcelona.

As for the tyres, Ferrari was at least as good as RBR on the tyres in the first few races. It's been the last races they lost ground because RBR kept on upgrading.
Come on boys! (not trying to offend but based on statistics the probability is extremely high that you are both boys. if by chance you are he-she; it; a color or some form of mystic creature, I do apologies in advance as already stated my intention with the address is not to offend.)

Both cars are fast and pretty evenly matched at the moment, even though they have very different philosophies...
so lets be civil and rater discuss the strengths of each team and how we think it will be beneficial on this track it will be a lot more informative than this "mine is bigger than yours" arguments currently happening.
I am very curious myself, as historically this track has always been a pointer for the season. of course, new regulations can impact this too...
It's really 50-50 going into this track.
RB can easily put more DF thanks to their top speed and be gentle on the tyres.
Ferrari is looking at ease before Miami on traction and mid speed corner.

Regarding drivers ability around this track I would say it's one of those track where Max can make the difference. I'm not saying that because he won there in 2016 only but he was for example really impressive in 2018 finishing ahead of the Ferrari despite a sub optimal strategy.
Alonso might be able to do something in Q3 like in 2008 (P2 with the Renault)
Do not forget the X factor, Sainz might became a cold killer at home...

NicoS

Spoutnik wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:50
NicoS wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I don't know what you're discussing about with me. I've watched the races and so far nothing showed me that RBR might be the fastest car in Barcelona.

As for the tyres, Ferrari was at least as good as RBR on the tyres in the first few races. It's been the last races they lost ground because RBR kept on upgrading.
Come on boys! (not trying to offend but based on statistics the probability is extremely high that you are both boys. if by chance you are he-she; it; a color or some form of mystic creature, I do apologies in advance as already stated my intention with the address is not to offend.)

Both cars are fast and pretty evenly matched at the moment, even though they have very different philosophies...
so lets be civil and rater discuss the strengths of each team and how we think it will be beneficial on this track it will be a lot more informative than this "mine is bigger than yours" arguments currently happening.
I am very curious myself, as historically this track has always been a pointer for the season. of course, new regulations can impact this too...

Regarding drivers ability around this track I would say it's one of those track where Max can make the difference. I'm not saying that because he won there in 2016 only but he was for example really impressive in 2018 finishing ahead of the Ferrari despite a sub optimal strategy.
Aggrege with your assessment. I do have a heaviness surrounding me about reliability...
Statistically the historical probability for a RB DNF or 2 DNF's is high.
But also statistically Ferrari is due for a reliability issue.
Not sure why I have this uneasiness.
Will have to do do early morning cycling on both Saturday and Sunday to put my mind at ease...

dialtone

Spoutnik wrote:
NicoS wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Honestly have no clue who'll do better this race, but top speed is not a justification for being able to put on more wing... They had faster top speed, barely, because of having less wing, if they put more wing it's going to give them much less top speed than Ferrari who has been running with medium-high DF packages since the start of the season and has been barely paying any price in top speed... Your reasoning doesn't seem too logical to me.

As I said though, I have no clue, will wait FP1 to say, although that's middle of the night for me, so maybe FP2.

Spoutnik

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:57
Spoutnik wrote:
NicoS wrote:

Aggrege with your assessment. I do have a heaviness surrounding me about reliability...
Statistically the historical probability for a RB DNF or 2 DNF's is high.
But also statistically Ferrari is due for a reliability issue.
Not sure why I have this uneasiness.
Will have to do do early morning cycling on both Saturday and Sunday to put my mind at ease...
Last year the two title contender had no real reliability issue during races. Ferrari seem pretty conservative reliability wise. But... temperatures in Europe are very high atm it can play into someone hand...

Spoutnik

dialtone wrote:
17 May 2022, 18:03
Spoutnik wrote:
NicoS wrote:

Honestly have no clue who'll do better this race, but top speed is not a justification for being able to put on more wing... They had faster top speed, barely, because of having less wing, if they put more wing it's going to give them much less top speed than Ferrari who has been running with medium-high DF packages since the start of the season and has been barely paying any price in top speed... Your reasoning doesn't seem too logical to me.

As I said though, I have no clue, will wait FP1 to say, although that's middle of the night for me, so maybe FP2.
If, ceteris paribus, you have a higher top speed for the same DF setup as your competitor, you can go very high DF to be faster on the corners and not lose so much on the straights. It's why having a good PU/straight line speed can make your chassis look good.. as it was the case with Williams during 2014-2016.
A good example of that is Ferrari 2019 who won at Singapore despite being labeled as a "dragster", being on pole by quite a big margin..

bluechris

I dont see any kind of trouble in Ferrari tyres in comparison with RB. In Miami they all said that Leclerc wasn't able to push because of this and we saw Verstapen catch him in the end of the stint. But when the camera was zooming in leclerc and verstapen car, leclecrc tyres seem in perfect condition but verstapen had visible lines of fatigue.

How is that possible i dont get it really. In my view RB was having graining a bit and Ferrari not but the race showed something different.

chrisc90

bluechris wrote:
17 May 2022, 20:40
I dont see any kind of trouble in Ferrari tyres in comparison with RB. In Miami they all said that Leclerc wasn't able to push because of this and we saw Verstapen catch him in the end of the stint. But when the camera was zooming in leclerc and verstapen car, leclecrc tyres seem in perfect condition but verstapen had visible lines of fatigue.

How is that possible i dont get it really. In my view RB was having graining a bit and Ferrari not but the race showed something different.
Even GP Max's Engineer said the Ferrari was right front limited.

I wonder how big upgrades will affect the speed the teams setup the car. Obviously they already have a good base spec as they did testing so shouldnt be too slow to set the car up where it needs to be.

bluechris

Yes i hearted it also but it wasn't visible with my eyes. I think Ferrari needs a better front wing like the last Mercedes one that was passing the tests but was flexing a ton. With a front wing like this, you can load the front of the car more in the low to medium speed corners but you will have less drag in the straights.

Ozan

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-f1- ... nal-sector

does anyone know if it's approved to remove the chicane or not?

mclaren111

It would be Wonderful to go back to the original track... [-o< [-o<

Seanspeed

mclaren111 wrote:
18 May 2022, 13:11
It would be Wonderful to go back to the original track... [-o< [-o<
Dunno. At least the slow chicanery stuff provides some variation to the demands of the track, and makes it so teams have actual setup choices to make and everything.

Plus those last two corners would be *easy* flat for these newer cars.

But certainly just from a racing perspective, we dont need the slow chicane stuff to facilitate better racing anymore. Though you could probably argue we haven't for a while with how long the DRS zone is here.

Schippke

Being a traditional place where all the teams bring upgrades (despite the budget cap), this one is hard to dissect between who will be stronger between Red Bull and Ferrari. From the last couple of races, I'd say Red Bull are the favourite having shown a better race car in the last couple of races compared to qualifying, regarding Tyre Wear anyway. If they're ahead during qualifying, baring any issues with pitstops and the like, I see it as a potential 1,2... only real place for the front runners to overtake is into T1, and Red Bull's straight-line speed alone will be enough to combat.

Also, despite Ferrari being more competitive and generally accepted as the car to beat... I reckon Bahrain was their only true race where they seriously had the upper hand... Australia yes to an extent, however a lot of people seem to forget Max was nursing an issue pretty much from the start of the race which ended up in retirement in the end, so the true pace of the Red Bull there was somewhat unknown.

The last 2 races, Ferrari might've qualified better overall, BUT the Red Bull was the race car to beat. Upgrades pending for Spain (and I'd expect Red Bull will bring some of their own too), I still put them as the 'race' car to beat... and the more daring with the strategy to play into their hands, with Ferrari being more conservative.

I still reckon they threw away a potential 1,2 for not pitting Charles and Carlos during the late safety car in Miami...

PlatinumZealot

Ozan wrote:
18 May 2022, 12:46
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-f1- ... nal-sector

does anyone know if it's approved to remove the chicane or not?
No it is not changed for this year. You would have heard about that long before the date of the race. The FIA and promoter are thinking about changing to the other layout though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

deadhead

Spoutnik wrote:
16 May 2022, 17:50
Neuron wrote:
16 May 2022, 17:40
These two quite short straights will be not enough for RBR to gain lap time vs. Ferrari's cornering speed, imo.
If quali will end like Leclerc 1st + Max 2nd ( which I bet) then the one who will be ahead after T1 will win the race.
It might be time for Sainz to have his first pole position...
You think he can beat car 16 here? I doubt it.