Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Comparison diffuser @redbullracing vs @ScuderiaFerrari #Techf1

Drift4794

New diffuser that was used this weekend and first trialed in Australia on Leclerc's car

Sevach

ryaan2904 wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:39
tpe wrote:
21 May 2022, 15:15
rafeyahmad wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:17

What nonsense.

They didn't introduce the floor to completely "solve porpoising". It was to reduce it so they can run the car lower. The ultimate solution will come with the rear suspensions in the 2nd half of the season. People absorb misleading headlines and then get disappointed when the team doesn't deliver on them.

The updates have worked as reported by Duchessa. Just because you can't visibly see the differences or the difference to RB doesn't seem that big doesn't mean they haven't. RB have also lost 5 kgs. It's all relative.
So, can you please tell me how porpoising was reduced? Do we have a measurement for this?
I don't have any data, of course, so I just comment with what is visible from the TV. And I didn't see any improvement.
I remember f1 pundits saying that flaps/slots on the floor are good to control porpoising, but reduce the max downforce of the car.

Facts line up too, ferrari initially came up with a straight floor, then added a flexible flap to reduce porpoising. Now, they should have reduced porpoising, since they removed that flap.
Opposite situation for mercs, they had a straight floor and tons of porpoising so they added a very similar floor flap (to ferrari) for barca to reduce porpoising, trade-off being reduced downforce.
Honestly people now are so obsessed with "porpoising" that they forget the objective is making the car the best it can be around a lap.
Also at least to me, what was happening to Ferrari in turn 9 (and sometimes T3) wasn't porpoising, it was plain old "grounding" the car is already riding ridiculously low to the ground so when you add big lateral energy it hits the ground hard.

Due to the nature of how much downforce the floors are responsible for now and how the cars are setup completely flat and low to the ground as opposed to ass in the sky rake, grounding seems to affect performance through these corners a lot more than in the past... "forever" years, up to the teams to see how they'll tackle it.

pierrre

Sevach wrote:
23 May 2022, 15:15
ryaan2904 wrote:
tpe wrote:

So, can you please tell me how porpoising was reduced? Do we have a measurement for this?
I don't have any data, of course, so I just comment with what is visible from the TV. And I didn't see any improvement.
I remember f1 pundits saying that flaps/slots on the floor are good to control porpoising, but reduce the max downforce of the car.

Facts line up too, ferrari initially came up with a straight floor, then added a flexible flap to reduce porpoising. Now, they should have reduced porpoising, since they removed that flap.
Opposite situation for mercs, they had a straight floor and tons of porpoising so they added a very similar floor flap (to ferrari) for barca to reduce porpoising, trade-off being reduced downforce.
Honestly people now are so obsessed with "porpoising" that they forget the objective is making the car the best it can be around a lap.
Also at least to me, what was happening to Ferrari in turn 9 (and sometimes T3) wasn't porpoising, it was plain old "grounding" the car is already riding ridiculously low to the ground so when you add big lateral energy it hits the ground hard.

Due to the nature of how much downforce the floors are responsible for now and how the cars are setup completely flat and low to the ground as opposed to ass in the sky rake, grounding seems to affect performance through these corners a lot more than in the past... "forever" years, up to the teams to see how they'll tackle it.
true. less to do with porpoising and a lot more to do with extending the range of the floors ability to produce high downforce even at very low ride height and at high velocity. the fact that porposing's next door neighbour happens to be maximum downforce...they will occasionally cross path

ryaan2904

Sevach wrote:
23 May 2022, 15:15
ryaan2904 wrote:
tpe wrote:

Yes, it was definitely grounding, since i also saw sparks flying from beneath the floor when it was happening. Maybe along with a little bit of porpoising added too, but majorly grounding.

On that note, do you think the ferrari turbo failure was related to it? Honda turbo failures used to occur due to heavy vibration issues a few yrs back, so maybe the grounding add some extra vibrations on the block and turbo?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

zioture

Ferrari and Red Bull performance analysis and comparison diffuser Ferrari Vs Red Bull the video is in Italian but you can activate the translation in the subtitles

matteosc

zioture wrote:
24 May 2022, 08:43
Ferrari and Red Bull performance analysis and comparison diffuser Ferrari Vs Red Bull the video is in Italian but you can activate the translation in the subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHQ8bXhpXU
I did not see it yet, but I saw previous episodes of the same people and I found them not that accurate. They say some interesting things and some (or most) of them are correct, but not all of them make sense. Keep this in mind.

FDD
FDD

zioture wrote:
24 May 2022, 08:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHQ8bXhpXU
I see all episodes with very nice analysis, and it is important that beside they are Italians, they are not Ferrari biased

AeroDynamic

GrrG

Ferrari: Leclerc with the old aerodynamic package

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... content=it

Last edited by GrrG on 26 May 2022, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

GrrG

#Ferrari with high load aerodynamic setup, new front wing confirmed.

matteosc

Nice pictures. Do we have a comparison between old and new front wings? I might have miss that...

GrrG

Ams

.poz

Old floor on F1-75
since porpoising is not an issue in Monaco are they are saving the new parts or maybe the old floor is slightly better at low speed ?

aleks_ader

Could be. Or just protection from praying eyes. IDK Witch one is more plausible.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna