Alfa Romeo C42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP

Re: Alfa Romeo C42

johnny comelately wrote:
20 May 2022, 22:12
Was it a MGUH for Valtteri in FP2 ?
No engine thread for Alfa?
It's a Ferrari PU

johnny comelately

AR3-GP wrote:
26 May 2022, 03:01
johnny comelately wrote:
20 May 2022, 22:12
Was it a MGUH for Valtteri in FP2 ?
No engine thread for Alfa?
It's a Ferrari PU
Fair enough, my oversight.

SmallSoldier

The C42 at Monaco, maybe the most underrated car on the grid, a lot of interesting details and one that could bring a surprise or two this season:

Via: Albert Fabrega

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Andi76

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/craig-sc ... ndroid_app

New part on Alfa Rear Wing:

"The smallest detail for the tiniest of gains. I look pretty closely at F1 cars, looking for the changes and interesting details. This neat little update caught my eye on Alfa Romeo's C42. The hinge plate for the rear wing flap has had this new teardrop-shape add on fitted, to streamline the flow over the wing." - Craig Scarborough

AeroDynamic

Blackout

Many great 'spy shots' here during the Canadian GP
Dirt also made the usually dark parts more visible (& acted as flow viz).
Look at all those details on the Alfa (mini monkey seat? outwashy teardrop shaped diffuser supports etc)
jonmcclintock @Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonmcclin ... 0299877691

Sevach

The front wing seems to fold inside near the bottom of the endplate.

Blackout

That was a terrifying accident. But he's 100% ok apparently.

Bappy

Very glad indeed that he somehow made it out alive and apparently well. But that accident leaves me with a lot of questions. The accident was reminiscent of the Hochenheim 2014 start, with Massa sliding upside down, with the roll hoop coping very well there.

Am I the only one that was very negatively surprised that the roll hoop failed upon first contact with the ground? It would be one thing if it had failed after digging in the gravel (à la Diniz in Nurb 1999), but that's not what happened here based on the replays.

Could the original design that Alfa Romeo sport with that single pillar for the roll structure be too blame? Should the other Alfa Romeo really have been allowed to keep racing? Or was it expected that it was a defect specific to Zhou's car?

I cannot imagine that the FIA homologation tests do not cover the sort of loads the roll hoop took during the tumble (at least while on the asphalt), but am I wrong here?

jagunx51

is this legal? adding body panel to the (bottom) floor .... and, what is this for? outer skid plate ?

............!!!!

Formula Wrong

Since Zhou's rollover structure in the airbox apparently failed, could this somehow be connected to Alfa's rather unique "roll blade" design that they use, instead of a hoop-structure?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

ScrewCaptain27

Formula Wrong wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:33
Since Zhou's rollover structure in the airbox apparently failed, could this somehow be connected to Alfa's rather unique "roll blade" design that they use, instead of a hoop-structure?
I’m 100% sure it is. It sheared off instantly as soon as the car rolled over.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

wogx

Formula Wrong wrote:
Will we see a regulation change? A-style roll hoop is safer and better looking IMO
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

e30ernest

wogx wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:23
Formula Wrong wrote:
Will we see a regulation change? A-style roll hoop is safer and better looking IMO
I hope they do. The entire thing just got sheared off:

If it weren't for the Halo, this would have been way worse:

Especially when you consider, some tall drivers could have their heads sticking out further off the top of the Halo.