2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Any thoughts on how this years car will handle Monaco?

My first thoughts were that it could be horrible for us and to be fair I worried last year too but Lando did an unreal lap in quali to be just a smidgen off the top guys.

These big heavy cars around Monaco will be a challenge.

Interesting reference point here although of course you can’t account for the Monaco specific setups that teams will have.

CjC
CjC

Mansell89 wrote:
25 May 2022, 11:37

My first thoughts were that it could be horrible for us and to be fair I worried last year too but Lando did an unreal lap in quali to be just a smidgen off the top guys.

Interesting reference point here although of course you can’t account for the Monaco specific setups that teams will have.

I saw some numbers in a table which had Mclaren the 6th fastest in sector 3 in Barca- behind the Haas and Mercedes as well as the others who are already ahead of Mclaren in this table🤷🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

billamend

Emag

CjC wrote:
25 May 2022, 13:29
Mansell89 wrote:
25 May 2022, 11:37

I saw some numbers in a table which had Mclaren the 6th fastest in sector 3 in Barca- behind the Haas and Mercedes as well as the others who are already ahead of Mclaren in this table🤷🏼‍♂️
They don't suffer on the very slow speed stuff anymore. The problem are the medium speed corners where downforce just starts to kick in.

This would suggest they are still lacking overall downforce. Perhaps they are losing speed due to tire scrubbing caused by lack of downforce on those corners.

Basically, as other better cars are "gliding" through those corners, the McLaren drags itself along losing more speed.

Macklaren

No slowdown in commercial signings. We will need a digital billboard on the car with scrolling sponsors at this rate :o

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rtnership/

EddyBaggio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MCL32

The difference is astonishing :shock:

mclaren111

Zak is on fire.... =D> =D>

cbbcisace

Very interesting how Cadence is second in the list of sponsors ahead of BAT and behind OKX, surely it’s not that big of a deal?

Emag

EddyBaggio wrote:
25 May 2022, 15:37
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MCL32

The difference is astonishing :shock:
I am ---*ng mad every time I look at this car not purely because of how badly it did in terms of results, but because I genuinely think this car was held back massively by the power unit. Not only did Honda manage to come up with a redesign which brought atrocious reliability, but it was actually worse in terms of peak power compared to the 2016 power unit as well.

That car did so well in low power tracks and I think with a better power unit it could have definitely finished 4th in the constructors at least, and possibly troubled RedBull on the earlier stages of 2017 because RedBull had a very slow start that year.

Vasco

At the 9 min mark there is a graph which depicts the amount of porpoising teams experienced throughout the race in barcelona and Mclaren are in the middle - they are definitely experiencing porpoising, but I think its not their biggest concern at this point which is why they are not making too much noise about it.

Emag

Vasco wrote:
25 May 2022, 16:29
At the 9 min mark there is a graph which depicts the amount of porpoising teams experienced throughout the race in barcelona and Mclaren are in the middle - they are definitely experiencing porpoising, but I think its not their biggest concern at this point which is why they are not making too much noise about it.

I don't know what McLaren has done exactly but their bouncing doesn't affect the whole car. Maybe there's a damper in the bib or something. If you look (and hear actually) the onboards of McLaren you will definitely hear the sound of the floor scrapping at an interval, suggesting it might come from porpoising. But unlike other teams, you can't visually see the bouncing on the driver's head or in the suspension travel.

continuum16

Emag wrote:
25 May 2022, 16:58
Vasco wrote:
25 May 2022, 16:29

I don't know what McLaren has done exactly but their bouncing doesn't affect the whole car. Maybe there's a damper in the bib or something. If you look (and hear actually) the onboards of McLaren you will definitely hear the sound of the floor scrapping at an interval, suggesting it might come from porpoising. But unlike other teams, you can't visually see the bouncing on the driver's head or in the suspension travel.
Generally I think McLaren doesn’t have the bouncing, if you listen to onboards it’s sounds just like bottoming out more than anything.

Also I don’t know how F1 collected that porpoising data… The graph (as others have also noted elsewhere) has a single data point per lap for a “Vertical G-force Amplitude” but that’s awfully generalizing. Is it the maximum? Is it the average/RMS value? Is it on the front straight only? I mean the maximum G-force could come from aggressive use of the kerbs at the final chicane and be independent of porpoising. Who knows, because they don’t give enough detail. As far as McLaren is concerned I do not think that porpoising is a primary concern. They are still comparatively not great in slow corners (average, not terrible, but still), which is where they are losing out to Alfa, who would appear to be the closest rival along with Alpine.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

PhillipM

I think the graph is complete nonsense as it's presented unless it also came with a complete explaination of the filtering and sampling used to get it.
Amplitude of vertical G load changes is not porpoising.

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10310752/

Seidl:
McLaren Formula 1 team boss Andreas Seidl is "cautiously optimistic" about his team's Monaco Grand Prix prospects but warned the team's improved low-speed performance is no guarantee it will be competitive.

Hope they nail the setup this weekend...

Swed3120

mclaren111 wrote:
26 May 2022, 10:47
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10310752/

Seidl:
McLaren Formula 1 team boss Andreas Seidl is "cautiously optimistic" about his team's Monaco Grand Prix prospects but warned the team's improved low-speed performance is no guarantee it will be competitive.

Hope they nail the setup this weekend...
Monaco seems to be setting itself up as a strategic nightmare , a circuit with near zero overtaking , with a almost 100% chance of rain on Sunday but none on Saturday , so need to qualify upfront but still set up for a wet race