Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JordanMugen

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

continuum16 wrote:
23 May 2022, 22:08
I find it odd that Aston Martin did not introduce a new front wing to go with the rest of the car. If they really did develop two different concepts in terms of floor and sidepod design (regardless of whether it has a 'resemblance' to other cars), it seems odd to use a shared front wing design, given the downstream components will surely interact differently.

It seems like either the front wing was not optimized for the previous concept and it is now and they just haven't found a good setup, or there will be a new front wing soon which is more suited to this concept. My guess would be the latter but either way it seems strange.
Do AMR have a (new) front wing in Canada?
Last edited by JordanMugen on 17 Jun 2022, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

F1doc

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 19:09
Do AMR have a front wing in Canada?
Yes they have a front wing, but it hasn't changed in philosophy since the first iteration of the car.

Blackout

The base of the AM monocoque seems to be quite thin... it looks like a long thin rectangle while the other monocoques bottoms look more as spear heads / boats...
Last edited by Blackout on 18 Jun 2022, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

lol, AM started the season with a thin & double-curvature splitter & invented that splitter winglet, while RB started with a fat splitter. Then RB copied AM design, while AM was copying RB's car in its factory...
--> RB end up with an AM splitter, and AM with a fat one
--> Now AM will probably copy the copy of the car that they copied...
AMuS - Nextgen-Auto - Motorsport - pmw-magazine - Sala stampa

organic

Blackout wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 22:42
lol, AM started the season with a thin & double-curvature splitter & invented that splitter winglet, while RB started with a fat splitter. Then RB copied AM design, while AM was copying RB's car in its factory...
--> RB end up with an AM splitter, and AM with a fat one
--> Now AM will probably copy the copy of the car that they copied...
AMuS - Nextgen-Auto - Motorsport - pmw-magazine - Sala stampa
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVe1JalUEAA ... ame=medium
Car design cat & mouse... the mouse wins here

continuum16

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 19:09
continuum16 wrote:
23 May 2022, 22:08
I find it odd that Aston Martin did not introduce a new front wing to go with the rest of the car. If they really did develop two different concepts in terms of floor and sidepod design (regardless of whether it has a 'resemblance' to other cars), it seems odd to use a shared front wing design, given the downstream components will surely interact differently.

It seems like either the front wing was not optimized for the previous concept and it is now and they just haven't found a good setup, or there will be a new front wing soon which is more suited to this concept. My guess would be the latter but either way it seems strange.
Do AMR have a (new) front wing in Canada?
No, I think the only new bits were some changes to the rear wing. But I’d bet that we will see one in Silverstone.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Blackout

Here, it's clear how the 22 AM monocoque has been designed for "horizontal" radiators 1st. See how the side of the fuel tank area (covered with silver reflective stuff) has a big notch for the coolers.
Then they copied RB & put different rads..
Sala Stampa - AmuS

PlatinumZealot

In that diagram, except for the Mercedes those undercuts are exaggerrated. The RedBull and Alpine do not have those deep cuts in the tub.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 17:58
In that diagram, except for the Mercedes those undercuts are exaggerrated. The RedBull and Alpine do not have those deep cuts in the tub.
The diagram is exaggerated a bit of course, but the Alpine has a decent cut, while the RB cuts, based on their previous cars too, seem to be quite big
A522

Nicolas Carpentier / F1i

organic

https://the-race.com/formula-1/revised- ... al-update/

Large Silverstone upgrades apparently. Krack seems to reckon it'll be at least worth a few tenths so I imagine it's going to be substantial; guess it will mostly involve areas of the car that haven't seen revisions with the spec B such as the beam wing and certainly I can't imagine it won't include a new front wing/nose given that they've changed car concept completely and not swapped it yet

NAPI10

organic wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 10:57

Large Silverstone upgrades apparently. Krack seems to reckon it'll be at least worth a few tenths so I imagine it's going to be substantial; guess it will mostly involve areas of the car that haven't seen revisions with the spec B such as the beam wing and certainly I can't imagine it won't include a new front wing/nose given that they've changed car concept completely and not swapped it yet
That means, AM has understood the new concept and able to corelate race track performance in wind tunnel. It will help them immensely to build next year car.

continuum16

organic wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 10:57

Agreed; I’d expect to see:
  • RB-style front wing (inboard loaded/less extreme curvature)
  • Return of tea tray winglet
  • Alpine/RB style beam wing
Maybe a new rear wing as well although I don’t think it’s as critical as the above elements, and the team already has 3 or 4 rear wing variations.

Maybe the team will start to experiment with rake.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

johndoucakis

I think significant updates can be spotted on the BOSS partnership announcement.
**correction, this seems to be a strange show car**

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32628370@ ... /lightbox/

F1doc

I think that's just a cobbled together car from old parts with a new generic wheel deflectors, and front/rear wing. You can see from the sidepod shaping that this is not the car that has been recently raced.

bosyber

From the shape, the body is that of the Merc. copy racepoint car, with 'new regulation' mock up floor and wings.