2022 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NSBiker

Re: 2022 Haas F1 Team

What would be fun is a pool of sorts.
Three things to predict ...
1. how many races before the next big shunt
2. how many wheels get freed up from the chassis
3. how many pieces is the car in.
My guess, 2, 2 and one.
That is 2 races, 2 wheels off and the car is in one piece. Apart from the little bits.

continuum16

If Alfa replace Zhou with Pourchaire (I don't know who else they would replace him with, if anyone, but that's a different thread), Haas should snap him up. He is getting more help in his rookie year from Bottas than Mazepin could've offered in a decade to Mick, brings a heap of cash, and seems to not be that prone to incidents. Is he the fastest driver on the grid? No, not by a long shot, but he got points in his first race and seems to be competent, even if he's nothing special (at the moment, at least).

Not that Mick is incompetent, by any means. My point is that now that Haas have their talisman in K-Mag, if they are going to have a second driver that's not as good as him, the cash flow may as well be positive, at least.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

yener

This will be the last season in F1 for Mick, he is not fast enough and keeps making rookie mistakes. And those mistakes cost the team money and development, something Haas really needs. Maybe if he get some awesome sponsor deal he can stay as a test driver or something, but I don’t see him on the grid for 2023 season
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Mr.S

Mick will struggle but Zhou is Mazepin Part II, or maybe a better version. He is more than 1s behind Bottas in qualifying & honestly we don't know how good the Alfa is given Bottas isn't even as good as Russel. The qualifying gap is worse than Mazepin actually & Williams is suffering by having a pay driver like Latifi, the sport doesn't need anymore. If Haas doesn't have the finances, they should be kicked out - There are teams like Andretti waiting (By kicked out I mean fall to 10th or 11th place where pay is very low & keep falling & then get taken over).

Zhou is a better version of Mazepin but then you have people like Piastri waiting too. Mick has to improve or he will lose his seat but I find people's reaction genuinely ignorant & childish. Not even half the season has gone (We are like past the 25% mark & people are already passing judgements). These calls should come after 60-70% of the season has gone.

JPower

Mr.S wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 18:58
Mick will struggle but Zhou is Mazepin Part II, or maybe a better version. He is more than 1s behind Bottas in qualifying & honestly we don't know how good the Alfa is given Bottas isn't even as good as Russel. The qualifying gap is worse than Mazepin actually & Williams is suffering by having a pay driver like Latifi, the sport doesn't need anymore. If Haas doesn't have the finances, they should be kicked out - There are teams like Andretti waiting (By kicked out I mean fall to 10th or 11th place where pay is very low & keep falling & then get taken over).

Zhou is a better version of Mazepin but then you have people like Piastri waiting too. Mick has to improve or he will lose his seat but I find people's reaction genuinely ignorant & childish. Not even half the season has gone (We are like past the 25% mark & people are already passing judgements). These calls should come after 60-70% of the season has gone.
Your comparisons are flawed. There are a lot of rookie/young drivers that would be one second behind Bottas. Bottas is one of the best qualifiers on the grid and has been for years. No one should've expected Zhou to be close to driver that frequently pushed all-time pole winner Lewis Hamilton to the limit in the same car. I don't think Mick would fare much better at his current pace.

I don't see any comparison to Mazepin either. Zhou's been extremely unlucky but has shown himself to be capable fighting in the midfield when given the chance. There haven't been any questionable incidents and for the most part, keeps the car intact.

As for Mick, if he has 1-2 more bad incidents I don't see him returning to F1 next year. He needs to significantly close the gap to KMag post-summer break to make an impression.

diffuser

JPower wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 20:38
Mr.S wrote:

Your comparisons are flawed. There are a lot of rookie/young drivers that would be one second behind Bottas. Bottas is one of the best qualifiers on the grid and has been for years. No one should've expected Zhou to be close to driver that frequently pushed all-time pole winner Lewis Hamilton to the limit in the same car. I don't think Mick would fare much better at his current pace.

I don't see any comparison to Mazepin either. Zhou's been extremely unlucky but has shown himself to be capable fighting in the midfield when given the chance. There haven't been any questionable incidents and for the most part, keeps the car intact.

As for Mick, if he has 1-2 more bad incidents I don't see him returning to F1 next year. He needs to significantly close the gap to KMag post-summer break to make an impression.
The other thing is that he can say that he might not be deserving of a seat but that has not stopped a team from hiring an underserving driver before. The relations with Ferrari are far from simple.

Big Tea

I think Mick arrived in F1 at the wrong time. Possibly he would be like his dad and spend lots of time thrashing around getting the best out of the car during practice and be better equipped to get close to the edge in actual quali or race. We will never know, but it is not the right time to be smashing up cars while not impressing against a team mate who was without a drive at the beginning of last year.

KMag is a very good driver, but he was only brought in as second choice, which does not sound so good.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

continuum16

Two primarily wet quali sessions (Imola and Canada) and both times the car was top 6 material. I wonder why that is? Obviously they seem to have a good setup for it, but it’s kind of baffling to see this not translate to dry pace (usually).

I’m hoping the updated version (coming eventually? It worryingly keeps getting pushed back) is a clear step forward, and that we don’t have a repeat of the 2019 mess. The team could beat AlphaTauri and maybe Aston Martin if the upgrade delivers. They just need to stop shooting themselves in the foot.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Rodak

continuum16 wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 19:27
Two primarily wet quali sessions (Imola and Canada) and both times the car was top 6 material. I wonder why that is? Obviously they seem to have a good setup for it, but it’s kind of baffling to see this not translate to dry pace (usually).

I’m hoping the updated version (coming eventually? It worryingly keeps getting pushed back) is a clear step forward, and that we don’t have a repeat of the 2019 mess. The team could beat AlphaTauri and maybe Aston Martin if the upgrade delivers. They just need to stop shooting themselves in the foot.
I ran a guy in a Reynard F2000; we had issues with setup, roll bars, etc. and couldn't get the car to work well.... except in the rain. My suspicion was a flexing chassis or rocker arms, though there unfortunately wasn't money to do anything about it.

Tzk
Tzk

continuum16 wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 19:27
In the rain the pace usually is slower and the tires are bigger. Maybe the Haas isn't as aerodynamically efficient as the other cars? In the rain you're slower, so the drag penalty doesn't hit as hard as in the dry. The second thought is that the bigger tires will result in a bit higher ride height. Maybe the Haas works quite well with it. And the third thought, as the speeds are a bit lower in the wet, the maximum downforcs is also lower. Maybe the Haas works better when the ride height difference (loaded vs. unloaded) is lower.

miniland

Mr.S wrote:

I am surprised a bit by "Mazapin Part II" in the past few races since he outqualified Bottas for three races. Will be interesting to see what happens after the four races in July.

chrisc90

Good drive for Magnusson and Mick in Quali today. 7th and 8th respectively

continuum16

This car is a fascinating case of "upgrades vs. understanding" when it comes to performance. The car has been the same for four months, and yet can still qualify in the top 8 and finish in the points. The team's performance swings wildly from track to track, arguably much more than any upgrades could account for. I mean, some races they are out in Q1 and hopeless in the race, others they are at the front of the midfield in quali and then fall backwards on Sunday. Then, we have situations like Miami and Silverstone where qualifying was woeful but then the race pace was decent.

Obviously Haas isn't resource-laden by any stretch, but you can't help but think that if they extracted the maximum from the car every weekend they would be in the fight for top 6 in WCC. Whether that be through completely missing the setup, driver error, team error, unreliability, etc., it rarely works out.
- Mark Twain

chrisc90

So quiet in here given the performance from Mick all weekend.

Absolutely sensational drive from him. Holding off some of the talents he did over the course of the weekend is certainly something to be massively proud of. Some all important points too, with another 8 in the bag on top of 4 gained in Silverstone too. I cant help but think his dad Michael will be massively proud of how he's come so far.

All important driver of the day too. But for me....Driver of the weekend.

continuum16

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/only ... /10343235/

Finally the updates will come; for Magnussen only. If you only have one set that makes sense, although I think this has always been a great track for Mick so it would have been interesting to see what he would have done.

The team sometimes has some novel ideas (shark fin this year, or probably most importantly being the first team to really adopt the “Venetian blind” flow conditioners a few years ago). Hopefully it’s not a 2019-style disaster. Alfa Romeo seem to have completely lost track of how to run their car so P6 is still on the table if the upgrades work.

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see it look a lot more like the F1-75 given how their usual development goes.
- Mark Twain