Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren_mircea

Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

GAME ON!!!
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... i-22112501
Does the 2023 Mercedes look very different?
Is Mercedes dropping its innovative side box concept for 2023 after being uncompetitive for long stretches this year? Not necessarily, because according to the Silver Arrows, the sidepods were not to blame for the problems.

"I think our problems don't really have anything to do with the philosophy of the sidepods," emphasizes George Russell, for example, who explains that in 2023 the focus will be more on other areas of the car.

Toto Wolff also reveals: "The last time I saw [the new car] in the wind tunnel, it looked exactly the same [as the current one]. But [the engineers] told me that it wasn't." The innovations are not immediately recognizable.

This also suggests that the look of the Mercedes will not necessarily have to change significantly in 2023.

chrisc90

Re: Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

It'll have to look different as they have banned the front wing for 2023. So that will be a noticeable difference straight away.

De Jokke

Hoping for a new nose atleast, the car was by far the most hideous merc since 2012.

I'm wondering if the improvements will take them level with the others. Don't think it will be enough if they just "fix" the issues that plagued them this year as RBR will take another leap forward.
Rumors were a new suspension to fix things, if I remember correctly.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

AR3-GP

I'm actually more interested in seeing if other teams try and adapt that "wing" that's "not a wing". I don't think Mercedes will give that up.

BlueCheetah66

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:12
I'm actually more interested in seeing if other teams try and adapt that "wing" that's "not a wing". I don't think Mercedes will give that up.
Which 'wing' are you talking about

Holm86

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:19
AR3-GP wrote:
I recon he means the side impact structure

BlueCheetah66

Holm86 wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:45
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:19
AR3-GP wrote:
I recon he means the side impact structure
https://cdn.crash.net/image_importer/F1 ... 6.0064.jpg
If so then I only really see people copying it if they go down the same zero pod design

VacuousFlamboyant

I'd love to see them hide the bigger mirrors inside the upper crash structure bodywork.

AR3-GP

VacuousFlamboyant wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 23:43
I'd love to see them hide the bigger mirrors inside the upper crash structure bodywork.
https://s1.gifyu.com/images/ezgif-2-19f6e78935.gif
Careful now. You might just earn yourself a job :wink:

Vanja #66

VacuousFlamboyant wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 23:43
https://s1.gifyu.com/images/ezgif-2-19f6e78935.gif
Rules are very strict on mirror position and they are placed above the top of the cockpit. Teams would surely have placed them lower years ago if the rules allowed it, especially at times when lower sidepod inlets were used.

Good idea, but not allowed - sadly for performance, luckily for safety.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

johnny comelately

Cameras on the wheelbrows

VacuousFlamboyant

Took a peak at the technical regulation and the stays are not allowed on top of the mirror. That was just a placeholder. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, all the Mirror Housing volume must be on top (above the cockpit winglet below), like Vanja said. On the same note, Mercedes cockpit sits 5cm below the allowed reference volume. There's room for better ideas,

I forgot to move it forward so the Mirror Housing Reference Volume (RV-MIR-HOU) was somewhat the same. I still don't know if it could be done. The upper crash structure would need to be far ahead.

Ozan

I think next year we won't see the SIPS-wing because they told it was against the spirit of the rules, also we won't see the front wing endplate on this year's car.

Vanja #66

Ozan wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:32
I think next year we won't see the SIPS-wing because they told it was against the spirit of the rules, also we won't see the front wing endplate on this year's car.
It isn't banned on its own, they found a legal loophool that can't be closed easily it all. I hope they find a way to keep it with 2023 redesign, it's a nice differentiator.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

aleks_ader

Ozan wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:32
I think there has no rule clarification that i would know about. Hence if Merc want to use them they can. Mirrors will never get integrated inside wing because u cannot use loopholes with stays, frames around glass etc. Bottom point is that Aerodynamicists want as much workable volumes ie. surfaces as possible. Idea is good but teams will stay pragmatic about that. Especially Merc witch want to control front tire/FW wake in slightly different manner. In contrast as Ferrari for example.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna