All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

dren

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 23:25
Mogster wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 23:21
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 22:22

GM and Honda compete in Indycar. I'm very confused why anyone thinks they will partner in F1.

To date, their only commercial partnership has been electric vehicle related and it's very much an under the table relationship.
Ilmor build GMs Chevy badged V6Ts for Indycar. If GM are serious why wouldn’t they ask Ilmor to build them an F1 engine? Mario has said he just needs a partner with lots of cash, they are rumoured to have a running F1 spec engine they tinker with at the factory. Andretti, GM and Ilmor sounds great.
That's certainly possible. I was only pointing out that it's absolutely wild that people think GM and Honda would collaborate on a scene with this much attention. It's a massive conflict of interest.
The team will need a customer PU in the interim so it'll be somebody supplying it that isn't GM.
Honda!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dren wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 19:54
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 23:25
Mogster wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 23:21

Ilmor build GMs Chevy badged V6Ts for Indycar. If GM are serious why wouldn’t they ask Ilmor to build them an F1 engine? Mario has said he just needs a partner with lots of cash, they are rumoured to have a running F1 spec engine they tinker with at the factory. Andretti, GM and Ilmor sounds great.
That's certainly possible. I was only pointing out that it's absolutely wild that people think GM and Honda would collaborate on a scene with this much attention. It's a massive conflict of interest.
The team will need a customer PU in the interim so it'll be somebody supplying it that isn't GM.
And it's well known that this is Alpine, which makes sense for dozens of reasons

Algatros70
Algatros70

We have a 23 races in this year, China deleted and will not replaced. Official.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund tabled a bid to acquire F1 from Liberty Media, according to reports.

Financial outlet Bloomberg suggests that the offer made in early 2022, which was thought to be $20 billion [£14bn], was rejected out of hand by the current American owners, Liberty Media.

The Middle East has become a key area of growth for the sport in recent years with Saudi Arabia joining the calendar in 2021 and Qatar set to begin a 10-year contract this term.

Saudi Arabia has been an active participant in bidding for major sporting events and holds active stakes in a number of global sports.

The current commercial rights holder of the sport gained the rights in 2017 and has overseen a period of rapid growth.

Even allowing for a significant dent caused by the pandemic, F1 is now valued at $15.2 billion [$12.3bn] - a figure more than double the value registered four years ago.
Saudi Arabia scaling up efforts to invest in sports

Large investments in sporting competitions and teams in recent years have led to criticism of attempted sportswashing, with the Kingdom using sports to mask its abhorrent human rights record.

One such recent acquisition is Premier League football team Newcastle United, while the country has also hosted a number of high-profile boxing fights and launched a controversial rival golf tour to the PGA, LIV Golf.

This month their leading football club, Al Nassr, completed the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo on a huge contract which includes promotion of the country's interests and could eventually lead to an endorsement of their 2030 World Cup bid.

Saudia Arabia has also registered its interest in luring an F1 team to move bases to the Kingdom, with McLaren one of its targets after striking a partnership with the outfit's Formula E and Extreme E efforts.

Bloomberg's report suggests that Liberty Media were not interested in selling their asset, however Saudi Arabia remain an actively interested party should they alter their stance.

Wouter

Announced presentation dates of the liveries/cars to date:

Date, ..... team and car, ..... place, ..... start (CET)
January . 31: Haas VF-23, n.n.b. 3 p.m.
February 03: Red Bull Racing RB19, New York, N.B.
February 06: Williams FW45, online, 3 p.m.*
February 07: Alfa Romeo C43, Zurich, 10 a.m
February 11: Alpha Tauri AT04, New York, n.n.a.
February 13: Aston Martin AMR23, Silverstone, 8pm
February 13: McLaren MCL37, Woking, 6 p.m.
February 14: Ferrari n.n.b., n.n.b., n.n.b.
February 15: Mercedes W14, Silverstone, n.n.a.
February 16: Alpine A523, London, n.n.a.

* start time subject to change

Credits: @Larry Perkins
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 16:36
Announced presentation dates of the liveries/cars to date:

Date, ..... team and car, ..... place, ..... start (CET)
January . 31: Haas VF-23, n.n.b. 3 p.m.
February 03: Red Bull Racing RB19, New York, N.B.
February 06: Williams FW45, online, 3 p.m.*
February 07: Alfa Romeo C43, Zurich, 10 a.m
February 11: Alpha Tauri AT04, New York, n.n.a.
February 13: Aston Martin AMR23, Silverstone, 8pm
February 13: McLaren MCL37, Woking, 6 p.m.
February 14: Ferrari n.n.b., n.n.b., n.n.b.
February 15: Mercedes W14, Silverstone, n.n.a.
February 16: Alpine A523, London, n.n.a.

* start time subject to change

Credits: @Larry Perkins
Any ideas about which dates are confirmed to only be livery launches? I think Aston Martin is 100% confirmed to be their actual car with 2023 livery, and I fully expect Ferrari to do the same - they always show their real car

organic

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fia- ... -rcwhhv92c

Another Ben sulayem controversy..
The president of motor racing’s governing body has provoked fresh controversy after it emerged that he said he “does not like women who think they are smarter than men”.
Ben Sulayem has previously spoken about encouraging women in motor racing but an archived version of his old website, www.mohammedbensulayem.com, shows that he expressed negative views about clever women.

The website says his likes and dislikes are “basically simple”, with Ben Sulayem stating: “I love the desert and I love meeting real people”. But, according to the website, he does not like talking “about money, nor do I like women who think they are smarter than men, for they are not in truth”.
It is not a mistranslation - it is stated in plain English:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020314163 ... _1-new.htm

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

wow......

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Feb.13 (GMM) Former F1 driver Carlos Reutemann’s daughter says she is glad that Bernie Ecclestone confessed to interfering in the outcome of the 1981 world championship.

In his early days of running the sport, Ecclestone doubled as owner of the Brabham team – whose Nelson Piquet arrived at the Las Vegas finale locked in a title battle with Williams’ Reutemann.

“After the first day of practice it was obvious that the drivers were going to have problems with neck pain,” former F1 supremo Ecclestone said in a new documentary about his life called Lucky.

“Carlos was speaking to the masseur in the pits. I went to see that person and after a financial discussion they decided to favour Nelson instead.

“We won the championship and that was the end for Carlos who stopped racing soon after. I don’t know if I ever told him that,” Ecclestone, 92, added.

Reutemann, who later became a prominent Argentinean politician and died in 2021, ultimately lost the 1981 title to Ecclestone’s driver by a single point.

When told about the masseur story, Reutemann’s daughter Cora told Cadena 3 radio: “I already knew that.

“Not just what he confessed about the masseur, but something far more serious, which is that the Brabham was unfit for racing because of the prohibited ground effect.

“The day before my father died, I sent Bernie a message asking him to be honest with my father and tell him before he passed away that he was the true champion of 1981.

“Unfortunately, he died the next day and the matter remained in limbo. I never imagined it would have such significance as it does now.

“Bernie told me I could ask him anything I needed,” Cora added. “I asked him to tell the truth. He did it publicly, which is much better.”
https://onestopstrategy.com/ecclestone- ... injustice/

organic

Rejoice, rejoice!

It is now official, so long chicane

I reckon the racing is gonna be pretty good there this year. Sector 1 allows for some wheel to wheel as we saw from max & Russell. Without the chicane hopefully you don't need as large pace delta to at least fight

chrisc90

Or it’ll be even worse given the difference in speed and with drs the overtakes will be done soon meaning less action into the first corner.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

ValeVida46

I really do hope this isn't true. Given it's from a fairly dubious source.
Back in the Autumn, this website was contacted by a source within Aston Martin suggesting that tactics were being used to negate the budget cap, we duly reported on this in January this year. Former Aston Martin team boss Otmar Szafnauer who moved this year to Alpine Renault, also suggested this loophole in the regulations on two occasions now this year.
This ‘cheating’ loophole would allow teams to carry out development work outside the sport’s budget cap, corroborating the situation our source claims is occurring in Silverstone.
Without actually accusing rival, or former teams of breaching the cap which was introduced two years ago, Szafnauer has warned that teams could potentially benefit from development work done outside of the cap.

“All those inflation bonus things, although we vetoed them, I think those are marginally adding to the cap, not massively,” he told the media in Bahrain last week.

“But when you look at corporate structures, that is massive…

“If you only have 68, 70 people in the racing team and the rest of the 900 are outside of it and apportioning costs, that’s the kind of stuff we have to worry about.”

In some ways, this loophole is rather an unsurprising and often known but not acknowledged tactic by big teams. Indeed, the said big teams have other racing programmes or technology departments outside motorsport to which they shift staff in order to comply with the cap.
An example is Red Bull which has companies outside the budget cap that some senior staff are paid from, such as team boss Christian Horner taking a big wage from the new Red Bull Powertrains. What Otmar is suggesting goes far beyond that, with huge portions of the factory workforce being employed off the main payroll of the team, therefore outside the budget cap.
It is very well known that Aston Martin has invested hugely into their F1 programme. The former Force India / Racing Point operation has transformed significantly in the last couple of years.

Indeed this website has a very reliable source from with the team who has been a whistleblower on numerous occasions, the last such being the disaster the team faced this time last year with an poorly designed car that barely made winter testing.

The source describes a system put in place to negate the budget cap by having AMR employees paid by different companies outside the racing team.

“168 members of AMRF1 staff were moved over to a company called Formtech,” says the insider,

…they are all still in the same jobs wearing AMR uniform with all the job perks and bonuses but not on AMR F1 budget. They also all received a £5000 “bonus” which was paid at the end of October 2021, another £5000 will be paid at the end of October 2022 to anyone who has stayed on for the 12 months.”

As to how true the details are in this communication, nobody will ever know. But it would be unlikely to be a huge surprise to many within the paddock, and even the fan base, that this kind of loophole was being employed.

“Fast forward to 2022 more staff were moved again but this time to “Aston Martin GP Services Limited” again same job roles etc etc but without the £5000 “bonus”…” claims the disgruntled employee of Aston Martin,

“In total this is around 200 people doing the exact same jobs, wearing the AMR F1 green uniform, the only difference is the bank account they’re paid from…”

If this is endemic within the Formula 1 establishment, it is difficult to see how the FIA and FOM would successfully police it, and puts a big question mark over the effectiveness of the budget cap going forward and might explain how Fernando Alonso was so fast in Bahrain for the season opener.

https://thejudge13.com/2023/03/06/aston ... ap-breach/

Blackout

Man, the number of journalism geniuses that are telling us that Aston's jump is just thanks to pure talent and hard work......
Aston didn't necessarily do a better job. As a customer that doesn't have to spend nearly as much money as constructors to build what's beneath the bodywork, they have a massive & an unfair advantage.
The long list of transferable parts that FIA forgot to update before 2022 undermines & cancels the capped budget benefits. Many teams warned about this in the past.
These regulations that are supposed to bring parity, suddenly become biased because of that.
With the same budgets, teams should have similar expenses.
So customers should build their own parts, except the PU & why not the gearbox internals, if you want to have parity and balance.
So AM or Haas virtually got far more resources & time to spend on aero, than the other teams.
And on top of that, they got those additional 5% to 35% ‘wind tunnel' time......
And all those journalism geniuses are telling us that Aston's jump is just thanks to pure talent and hard work.
The sporting rules obviously need to be updated and adapted to a budget cap context.
Today the rules are very unequal.