2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Do they have anyone in F2 they could use?

AR3-GP

Why wouldn't they run Mick?

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 18:57
Do they have anyone in F2 they could use?
Maybe vesti

ringo

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 18:00
mendis wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 17:24
DGP123 wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 17:06
He’s there because of the name. This is the way F1 is headed, it’s why Ricciardo is third driver for RB. These teams utilise the profile of the driver, his media platforms and fan base, in a way of attracting new sponsors, and using them to promote events and promo’s. The likelihood of Ricciardo/Schumacher driving is slimmer than slim. They’re just there to promote the teams down other avenues away from the racing, in an attempt to exploit these new markets and fanbases.
Ricciardo is third driver because he made bad choices and ultimately failed miserably against Lando. F1 is not responsible for driver's situation where nobody other than a driver is responsible for the mess. As for Mick, it's obvious he is taken by Mercedes for their respect towards to the old man.
Mercedes is a german brand. Mick is a German driver, and son of a German legend. Do the math. Schumacher has marketing value. That what it comes down to.

That's the entire point of F1 nowadays. It's not like before when pure racing teams entered F1 without a car to sell on Monday.
Were you one of the posters on th 2022 threas who said the driver has nothing to do with selling cars, hence why LH should be dumped for a cheaper driver?

Anyhow Mick can be of use. I get the idea of having the best of the best in the team, but i think you only need to be good enough to operate the car respectably if you come with other commericial or sentimental benefits.
He can do lots of promotions and at least try to revive interest in the sport in Germany.
I know he aint better than average, but i would love to see him get a chance to drive a front running car, if even for a race. Same for Lando.

It would be cool if the sprints did not award driver points but were done by third drivers and awarded constructors points.
It would at least allow others to get a chance.
For Sure!!

mendis

ringo wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 21:34
Were you one of the posters on th 2022 threas who said the driver has nothing to do with selling cars, hence why LH should be dumped for a cheaper driver?
It still is a fair statement. If LH can do what Mick is doing from a commercial standpoint and for the same money, it's a fair game. Other than being paid on par with George for his driving services.

ringo

mendis wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 04:25
ringo wrote:
It still is a fair statement. If LH can do what Mick is doing from a commercial standpoint and for the same money, it's a fair game. Other than being paid on par with George for his driving services.
The dots are not connecting there. But okay. I wont argue the double standard.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 18:00
mendis wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 17:24
Ricciardo is third driver because he made bad choices and ultimately failed miserably against Lando. F1 is not responsible for driver's situation where nobody other than a driver is responsible for the mess. As for Mick, it's obvious he is taken by Mercedes for their respect towards to the old man.
Mercedes is a german brand. Mick is a German driver, and son of a German legend. Do the math. Schumacher has marketing value. That what it comes down to.

That's the entire point of F1 nowadays. It's not like before when pure racing teams entered F1 without a car to sell on Monday.

Anyhow Mick can be of use. I get the idea of having the best of the best in the team, but i think you only need to be good enough to operate the car respectably if you come with other commericial or sentimental benefits.
He can do lots of promotions and at least try to revive interest in the sport in Germany.
I know he aint better than average, but i would love to see him get a chance to drive a front running car, if even for a race. Same for Lando.
I never suggested Schumacher should replace Hamilton because he's cheaper. They are two unique assets for Mercedes for very different reasons and when Mercedes had the opportunity to acquire both, they did.

JordanMugen

Stu wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 12:37
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 01:21
the EDGE wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 00:43

These events are not happening in isolation. It's not "nothing". Personnel will be feeling like the "Dream team" is coming to an end, piece by piece. Cowell gone. Vowles gone. Soon Hamilton and Toto. The team has to be planning for a post Wolff-Hamilton future.
The most likely future would be sale of the team, rather than any succession plan (imo); they are now very consciously NOT Mercedes, but Petronas AMG Ineos.
Toto & Mr Ineos are now the largest shareholders, Daimler (Mercedes) are down to around 30%), once it suits Daimler (and their product marketing), they will either scale back further or withdraw (and that will depend on future production and its compatibility with F1 power train direction (so, post 2030ish).

Just how I see things going…
Honda will be happy to buy the team back. They will be looking for one and BAR/Mercedes is the best candidate. It just needs to be formally for sale. :)

A sale back to Honda would be a great outcome for Honda! BAR/Mercedes is a much better base to hit the ground running than AlphaTauri or Williams.

georgekyr

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 06:09
Stu wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

These events are not happening in isolation. It's not "nothing". Personnel will be feeling like the "Dream team" is coming to an end, piece by piece. Cowell gone. Vowles gone. Soon Hamilton and Toto. The team has to be planning for a post Wolff-Hamilton future.
The most likely future would be sale of the team, rather than any succession plan (imo); they are now very consciously NOT Mercedes, but Petronas AMG Ineos.
Toto & Mr Ineos are now the largest shareholders, Daimler (Mercedes) are down to around 30%), once it suits Daimler (and their product marketing), they will either scale back further or withdraw (and that will depend on future production and its compatibility with F1 power train direction (so, post 2030ish).

Honda will be happy to buy the team back. They will be looking for one and BAR/Mercedes is the best candidate. It just needs to be formally for sale. :)

A sale back to Honda would be a great outcome for Honda! BAR/Mercedes is a much better base to hit the ground running than AlphaTauri or Williams.
With the new ruleset coming, the cost cap which ensures that the team is no longer a bottomless pit, WV Group coming strong with an AUDI team and also possibly Porsche in one form or another, I do not believe they would be willing to opt out. Free publicity since teams are turning into profitable organizations...

ringo

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 06:09
Stu wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It could be Andretti Chevrolet :?
For Sure!!

atanatizante

atanatizante wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 12:53
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 16:05
atanatizante wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 13:56

For sure Exxon-Mobile received a little help from Oracle`s A.I. programs just to verify those tenths of millions of fuel formulas which needed to be tested in order to reach the best one regarding peak power output vs consumption.

I can assure you of this from my professional point of view explained in more detail here:

viewtopic.php?p=1107257#p1107257
Exxon Mobil didn't make the fuel. Honda did: https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-20 ... /10413347/
This article says that they developed the 2021 F1 fuel that was carbon-neutral, which was way ahead of what F1 decided to use 100% carbon-neutral fuel in 2026.

In 2021 the F1 fuel had to have a mandatory 5.75% ethanol. Having said that I just picked one statement from the above article: "We made e-methane with hydrogen produced using renewable electricity, the inedible part of plants, and this time from the carbon of wood biomass." E-methane is a different compound than ethanol, and you don't need a degree in chemistry to know that. (For your information, the former is a synthetic aka man-made type of methane and the latter is just alcohol).

Then, on the other hand, I`ve just put below a picture depicted from that article to see what company is written on those barrels. You have to Google it to see who owns that company ...

http://postimg.cc/K4GqPTSC

The same guy said also that they made in Japan a "high-performance component" that is used to improve the output of the F1 engine by "increasing the efficiency through raising the compression ratio". Then he said, I quote: "I can do it 100%. Technically, there is no problem at all. However, we have to make a lot of it, so it is not possible in Japan."
Coming from a forum in my country and making a connection with that info regarding Honda`s work back in 2021 on 100% carbon-neutral fuel but most of all for their, I quote: "high-performance fuel component that is used to improve the output of the F1 engine by increasing the efficiency through raising the compression ratio" for these above statements I was putting two and two together and figure out why Honda`s ERS was the best in the business since 2021, for the RB16B and RB18 were the last cars clipping down the straights:

https://jp-motorsport-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp

So it`s not the supposed 2021 ICE advancements both in architecture and combustion as we all were misled to think about. It`s down to a more significant calorific value for their fuel than the competition was having, which could lead to better fuel consumption overall. Thus they are gaining both in more energy harvesting for the same amount/mass of fuel and also the team could under fuel the car on certain races for strategical reasons.

We all know there is a maximum of 4MJ energy per lap allowed by the rules and we also know that the same rules say there are no limits regarding energy transfer from MGU-H to MGU-K, thus in this way, Honda ERS has the upper hand on both in qualy and races (in defending and overtaking situations) for having those 120kW more time than the opposition could have in a lap ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

georgekyr

This is fully in line with what I had said some time ago regarding renewable fuels and the many ways you can tweak them even after they have been homologated.
viewtopic.php?p=1107303#p1107303

AR3-GP

georgekyr wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 14:03
This is fully in line with what I had said some time ago regarding renewable fuels and the many ways you can tweak them even after they have been homologated.
You can't tweak the chemistry after homologation.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 23:00
georgekyr wrote:
Even if its a reliability upgrade?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 23:46
AR3-GP wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 23:00
georgekyr wrote:
Even if its a reliability upgrade?
With the exception of a "reliability upgrade" that the other manufacturers agree to. However it will be difficult to prove a reliability issue for a PU that had virtually no failures all year (unlike Ferrari, Alpine which were on the side of the road at least once a GP).