2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
johnny comelately

Re: 2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

The scar tissue may inhibit the strength potential but I dont think that is the end game.
Back in the day it was determined that outright strength like from heavy weights was not helpful as it restricted quick movement and there became a focus on repetitives of a lighter weight that produced stamina while still allowing quick movement because there was less muscle bulk. That was from Randy Mamola from memory (unreliable memory).
I do remember there was an arm wrestling match between a very sinewy MotoGP rider and a very bulked up WC Open Class MX rider, guess who won?

Come on Honda, give him a decent bike!

Starscreamer

Team Gresini Racing

I am very curious what Alex Marquez will do on the Ducati
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

etusch

I think riding ducati (or beimg faster with ducati) is quite easier. If you have a little bit turning abilitiy, opening throttle is something every one can do ( maybe except that woman who rode her boyfriends CBR).
But if you are unlucky enough fastest bike of previous season may end up 3d or down more. ( maybe something like what happened to Russell)

By the way Honda updated launch day as 22th of the second month.

johnny comelately

Another Marco Melandri insight into the Aprilia factory. Much respect for what this relatively small team achieves.
Only a brief but revealing look at the chassis testing and the inhouse suspension development where they show that major problem of chatter. Rarely seen engine placement and the bulk of the casting.

johnny comelately

etusch

Crutchlow fastest as Sepang Shakedown kicks 2023 into gear

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2023/02/ ... ear/446981

etusch

Yamaha looks quite different to me.

CC doesn't forget to look at camera

etusch

Ducati's new faring/aero looks like they went a little bir forward at using aero parts. Upper picture may be aprilla. They go almost same way with ducati.

Last edited by etusch on 05 Feb 2023, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

Aprilla's front disc looks same with Ducati's. From pictures, I can say there is less change on Honda.

etusch

etusch

johnny comelately

Nice sound!
Good to see Folger's name there

etusch

Final lap times on Monday’s second day of the 2023 Sepang MotoGP Shakedown Test.

A drying track produced a frantic final hour of action on day two in Malaysia, which ended with Cal Crutchlow again officially fastest for Yamaha.

The Englishman again appeared to be the only Yamaha test rider on track and was swapping between the three different bikes (T1, T2 and T3).

Crutchlow's late time of 2m 2.079s was a fraction under his Sunday best and put him half a second clear of Ducati's Michele Pirro with GASGAS rookie Augusto Fernandez in third.

A glimpse of Dani Pedrosa's KTM lap times...
KTM's Dani Pedrosa spent all of Day 1 and much of Day 2 riding without a transponder turned on, meaning he was not listed on the official timing.

But the Spaniard, rumoured to have been even faster than Crutchlow on Sunday, then suddenly appeared on the timing screens in the final hour.

The 31-time MotoGP race winner, who will make a wild-card appearance at this year's Spanish GP, quickly moved to the top with a 2m 2.807s on slicks... Then vanished from the screens once again!

Pedrosa returned to do more slick laps in the last half-hour, and could well have gone faster, but the transponder remained off (apparently at his request)...

Aprilia test rider Lorenzo Savadori was first on track, with only Pirro and Crutchlow also recording an early lap time.

Crutchlow was fastest as of 11am, with Honda's Stefan Bradl then taking over during his opening 6-lap stint, riding an all-black bike also featuring the rear seat fins.

Fernandez, the only full-time MotoGP rider eligible for the Shakedown, then put his GASGAS-branded KTM on top just before midday.

As the drizzle cleared and the track slowly began to dry, Fernandez improved his time to remain quickest.

The early afternoon saw most riders remain in the pits, with the last of the wet-tyre Monday laps by Pirro, who went fastest just before 4:30pm on a patchy half-dry/half-damp surface.

Savadori then became the rider to try slicks, just before 5pm, moving to the top and prompting others to rush out and cram in as much slick tyre work as possible during the last hour.

Fastest Day 1 Time:
Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha 2m 1.146s (330.3km/h top speed)

Official Sepang MotoGP records:
Best lap: Jorge Martin SPA Ducati 1m 57.790s (2022)
Fastest race lap: Jorge Martin SPA Ducati 1m 59.634s (2022)

The Shakedown, from February 5-7, is mainly used to make sure the new machines are running correctly before they are handed over to the race riders, as well as some development work on new parts (especially aerodynamics).

Crutchlow was officially fastest on day one (there are reports Pedrosa set a 2min 0.4s) with a time of 2m 1.146s, set before a mid-afternoon rain shower, putting the Englishman 0.185s ahead of reigning Moto2 champion Fernandez.

Crutchlow also took the 2023 M1 engine to a top speed 0.1km/h faster than the best Yamaha speed (330.2km/h) during the Malaysian MotoGP race weekend, by Fabio Quartararo in qualifying. Quartararo's lap time was almost two seconds quicker than Crutchlow's day one lap, so the big question will be if the top speed of the new engine increases in proportion to lap time...

The Official Sepang Test, for all race riders, will be held at the Malaysian Grand Prix venue from February 10-12.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/results/10 ... ults-day-2

AMG.Tzan

Not even a daily recap video for video pass users on MotoGP.com!

Can’t believe they’re asking 159€ for this thing when formula 1 is asking 1/3 of it for much more content!

On the testing front though:
-Aprilia has become another Ducati in terms of aero development! They’re constantly bringing aero novelties that no other team has! They just need better riders and they’ll be up there in the championship! I won’t be amazed if Marquez ends up there after Honda…
-Honda is said to have tweaked its engine a bit forward to give the front end feeling that was missing! I don’t think that will solve anything as I think it will only lose them rear grip again…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

In this era I think everyone should think seriously about aero. Yamaha's bike also has more aero anymore, really big front wing.

What surprise me is Aprilla and Ducati made almost same aero design on the side fairing of the bike & same place. If two teams found same thing after their aero works and one of them is best at aero at motogp, the solution they found should be analised carefully by other teams. Big probably it is beneficial.

Aprilla was already very good bike. So they just need be a little bit better. And when they don't have better riders, a little bit more to compensate that.

I also didn't find much changes on honda. I can understand this. Because before making upgrades firstly they should make a decent base to built bike on... I have read at somewhere that says they make engine placement somewhere mid of between 2022 and 19 placements. I think 19 is more forward and 22 was rearward. As yamaha did, Honda also working with 3 bikes for comparation, so I think they are comparing rearward installation with little bit forwarded one.
Different to Aprilla honda is at a place they should catch up. But in the other hand, if they found what they lost in front end and bring what they aimed at rear, all the other parts of bike is already competitive. It is a question if they can achieve this or not. Maybe they can make slow steps to get where they need to be until mid of season by starting little bit rear at first.