2023 Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wogx

2023 Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake

Team: 🇮🇹 Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN
Base: 🇨🇭 Hinwil, Zurich, Switzerland

Team principal: TBA
Technical director: Jan Monchaux
Chief Executive Officer: Andreas Seidl

Race drivers:
🇫🇮 Valtteri Bottas 77
🇨🇳 Guanyu Zhou 24

Chassis: C43
Engine: Ferrari V6 Turbo

This thread is to discuss the 2023 Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

wogx

Re: 2023 Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake

The first 2023 car to show up will be Alfa Romeo. Presentation on Tuesday at 10 Italian time. Tomorrow Williams at 15 but only the livery.
Last edited by wogx on 05 Feb 2023, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

The first 2023 car to show up will be Alfa Romeo. Presentation on Tuesday at 10 Italian time. Tomorrow Williams at 15 but only the livery.
So Alfa Romeo will be launching their real car, and the first to do so. Maybe we should expect a testing livery again also

organic

F1technical's season starts tomorrow at 9AM then I suppose :P

Wouter

https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000009364517.html

:shock: :( Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

"It wasn't exactly healthy" - Valtteri Bottas reveals on TV that the formula race triggered an eating disorder

Valtteri Bottas talks openly about his difficulties in the early stages of his formulaic career in the second episode of the Maria Veitola season of Night Live. 2014 was a very difficult year, and in the end Bottas turned to outside help, as there is no emotional support in the F1 world.
In between his home presentation, Bottas tells Veitola about his dreams of Formula 1 in his youth and what it was like when he had already reached the top.

Bottas started his F1 career in 2013, but just a year later he was driving himself up the wall by training too much and eating too little.

"I trained myself sick physically and mentally. It got out of hand and became an addiction. There was no official diagnosis of an eating disorder, but there definitely was," Bottas reveals in the programme.
"I needed a psychologist to help me recover, and his first assessment of me was that I was almost like a robot."

Bottas steamed himself nothing but broccoli between long jogs and continued to train. All this he kept secret even from his coach.

"It wasn't exactly healthy. I wanted to be the best, and I thought that's what I had to do. If the team says I have to weigh 68 kilos and I naturally weigh 73 kilos, then you do everything you can."

Around the same time, his team-mate from the past, Jules Bianchi, died in an F1 accident.
Due to his own overstressed state, Bottas found it difficult to deal with everything that had happened.

"I needed a psychologist to help me recover, and his first assessment of me was that I was almost like a robot who just wanted to get to the finish line and had no emotions at all. It was startling. It's quite true that at the time I had no life other than F1."

Bottas and Veitola also spoke to Mika Häkkinen, who has been an important figure in Bottas' career.
They talk about how little emotional support F1 racers receive and how they are left very much alone on the mental side.
Häkkinen recalls how it took him seven years to get his first F1 win.
During that time he was in a constant mental battle with himself, wallowing in self-reproach and wondering what he was doing wrong. Eventually, he sought help for himself.

Bottas says that before last season he again turned to outside help. At the time, he switched from Mercedes to Alfa Romeo.

"Last season was another difficult period, when my future was on the line and I didn't know which team I was going to drive for. There was a big threshold to ask for outside help," says Bottas.
"You think you're such a tough guy that you don't need help, that I can handle things by looking in the mirror. But a professional can ask the right questions and open a lot of locks."

There's no discussion with the stable mates about the need for emotional help.
"I'm not the only one there who has a hard time sometimes."

The number two spot at Mercedes was a very difficult one for Bottas. He drove for Mercedes from 2017 to 2021.

"For such a competitive driver it was difficult to accept. It was only in the last year that I could accept that Lewis Hamilton was the better driver. I was always wondering how I could beat him and win the world championship. It was a pretty consuming five years," Bottas says in the episode.

Bottas reflects that he should have been kinder to himself at the time and given himself more time during the first couple of years with Mercedes.

"I wanted to win everything straight away, and then when it didn't happen, it was hard to accept."

Veitola says it was that conversation that stuck with her most from the visit, as Bottas said he had been left emotionally alone in his career. Even at the top of F1 you don't get enough emotional support.
"While doing this programme, I was struck time and again by how alone people are and how the difficulty of getting help extends even into that world," says Veitola.

Bottas' wife, racing cyclist Tiffany Cromwell, reveals to Veitola that the change of stables had an impact on his well-being.
The man became much more relaxed as soon as he switched from Mercedes to Alfa Romeo in 2022. There is also much less outside criticism now.
The Power of Dreams!

wogx

FW17

Stu

Unusual rollover treatment, both single spar and hoop together.
Sidepod almost a mash-up of both Ferrari and RedBull 2022. Rear of sidepod has interesting detail.
Also (neat touch) the cooling outlet ‘cannons’ appear to be aimed at the beam wing
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Surprised Audi isn't anywhere on the car, considering they have already bought a stake in the team.

wogx

Anyone wanna buy this showcar? Current Bid - £71,000.00

https://auctions.f1authentics.com/iSynA ... Id=4408635

etusch

I would use pullrod too at front. good looking car except noose

organic

https://www.formu1a.uno/power-unit-ferr ... ll-izzata/

Very good article with quotes from Alfa Romeo team members. I'll extract some of the good ones in a bit:
“I have a feeling that this car, at least based on the numbers coming out of the simulator, is better suited to all tracks rather than only fast on slow tracks like the C42,” said Valtteri Bottas, who then concluded:"A big weakness was the high speed and in theory with the C43 it should be much better."
“We kept the blade. Not only have we adapted it to the geometric constraints to avoid sharp edges on the top required in 2023 but it is already resistant to the loads imposed in 2024 , although next season we will most likely have a different roll hoop. However, it is to be considered very different from the previous specification”
according to technical director Jan Monchaux, the most important innovations are hidden in the center and rear of the C43. “Work on this new car started a few weeks after the start of last season. It was clear to us the areas where we could improve and we concentrated on the rear area of ​​the car”. said the French engineer, who then goes into more detail. “We decided to change the layout of the rear suspension and gearbox, which also resulted in a new layout for the cooling, together with anew bodywork that was already planned last year but that it was not possible to introduce”
"Often in F1 it's also about recognizing that one particular team has done a much better job than everyone else and understanding why they've done a better job in some areas and adapting that to our car in some way. We did it, we already wanted to do it last year but we couldn't because of the cooling and the rear suspension."

wogx

“We kept the blade. Not only have we adapted it to the geometric constraints to avoid sharp edges on the top required in 2023 but it is already resistant to the loads imposed in 2024 , although next season we will most likely have a different roll hoop. However, it is to be considered very different from the previous specification”
It doesn't sound logical. Creating an over resistant, heavier roll hoop, which sits high above the ground, just for one season... :roll:

diffuser

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 13:33
Surprised Audi isn't anywhere on the car, considering they have already bought a stake in the team.
That's the deal.

chrisc90

Bottas' wife, racing cyclist Tiffany Cromwell, reveals to Veitola that the change of stables had an impact on his well-being.
The man became much more relaxed as soon as he switched from Mercedes to Alfa Romeo in 2022. There is also much less outside criticism now.

Hope Valterri is keeping well after reading that.

It seems a lot of people at Mercedes seem to suffer a lot with their mental health. Lewis, Toto, Valterri all openly admitting they have problems. Almost seems like something isnt 'right' in that camp. Very odd indeed.