2023 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 31 - April 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2023 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 31 - April 02

Last message from me on the topic: read the thread I linked or a physics book or something to inform yourself of the relationship between power and speed and drag. I mean this honestly, the physics of this topic is well known, no amount of attempts from you can change physics, weight has minimal importance for a car past 300kph when the car is basically at constant speed and thus doesn't require any force to accelerate its mass (I would say it starts to have small impact past 150kph even due to how quickly drag grows).

search

apparently F1 plans to adapt the schedule for the sprint weekends, and replace the Saturday morning practice with an additional qualifying specifically for the sprint race.

Isola was interviewed by German Sky during FP2, and he said the tyres for Baku are on its way already. So if they want to do this, the 2nd Quali would probably mainly be on used tyres.

Personally I don't see much point in doing two qualifying sessions one after another, but obviously, those "warm ups" are the most boring sessions of the year, so I understand that they want to do something about it.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

search wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 09:34
apparently F1 plans to adapt the schedule for the sprint weekends, and replace the Saturday morning practice with an additional qualifying specifically for the sprint race.

Isola was interviewed by German Sky during FP2, and he said the tyres for Baku are on its way already. So if they want to do this, the 2nd Quali would probably mainly be on used tyres.

Personally I don't see much point in doing two qualifying sessions one after another, but obviously, those "warm ups" are the most boring sessions of the year, so I understand that they want to do something about it.
It could be that it was misunderstood. Perhaps they want to keep 2 free practices on Friday and have Saturday for sprint race quali and race itself. That would make sense.

search

There's an article on AmuS now, and according to that, it would be some kind of shorter qualifying format on Saturday. So either a one-lap shootout, or one with Q1/Q2/Q3, but less time available.

I'd be fine with a quick shootout to set the grid for the sprint, 2 times the same, not. And preferably extend FP1 by half an hour. Don't think they plan to add another practice.

Wouter

Here an English article from The Race:
F1 plans second qualifying session to separate sprint and GP
https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-plans ... nt-and-gp/
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

:D

The Power of Dreams!

search

Tyres left after today:

Alpine returned a new set of Mediums to keep those used (1 lap only for Gasly, 3 for Ocon) Softs.

Zynerji

search wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 09:34

Q1 should be the Sprint
Q2 should be top 15 knockout
Q3 should be hotlaps

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

All of you please have a breath, take a sec - and stop posting at one another being bloody childish with it.

Pages of content deleted - more to come.

OZ GP - looks like a good place for a race...or something trite in the adverts. Let's not beat one another up please.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CMSMJ1 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 20:00
All of you please have a breath, take a sec - and stop posting at one another being bloody childish with it.

Pages of content deleted - more to come.

OZ GP - looks like a good place for a race...or something trite in the adverts. Let's not beat one another up please.
What does the bolded part mean? :lol:

vorticism

F1 teams’ car updates for the 2023 Australian Grand Prix

https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/31/pic ... s-updates/

𓄀

chrisc90

Any overview of what the general pace looks like? Was there any race sims done today at all?

Looking like it could be a dry race from the weather charts.

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 22:09
Any overview of what the general pace looks like? Was there any race sims done today at all?

Looking like it could be a dry race from the weather charts.
I could only find this:

FP1: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

FP2: https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Thank you.

Havent caught up with FP2 yet (seems fairly un-representative given the weather) and I have no plans to watch FP3 in the middle of the night.

Stu

Radio 5 (presuming that you are UK based), listen at your leisure!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.