2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 02:34
That should be obvious by now and I don't even know why they would be playing around with it.
The ran different rear wings, and exhaust exit packages, and who knows what else. In FP1 lewis did several constant/fixed speed runs for data gathering.

This is the first real track that they can get representative data about the new package, and they will spend as much time on that as they think they can get away with!
197 104 103 7

Puffpirat

Lewis back to the barn door with small cannon exit.

AR3-GP

Puffpirat wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 13:42
and a decent laptime out of it too.

Hammerfist

Puffpirat wrote:
Duh..

AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 14:30
Puffpirat wrote:
Duh..
The big wing was expected, but the small cannon exit was interesting since I believed the larger exit (in combination with a different sculpting of the engine cover aft) was part of the updates. Maybe that was a high cooling test and since weather is much cooler they don’t need it.

El_KaPpa

Nico Rosberg: "I spoke to two people from two different aero departments. There biggest focus in the last week has been to try and dissect those Red Bull pictures from Monaco, courtesy of Sergio Perez crash....They are now drying to digitalize those photographs. Putting them into a software and really understand the exact airflow as it's going through there. It's interesting how something like that could be a game changer for the teams. As I said from internal ( giving away it could be from Mercedes) that they have had people really dedicating their time in the last few days to really analyse the airflow and understand it."

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

xaero

Hell .. Russel screwed Hamilton's momentum and in the end it seems Hamilton lost confidence because of Q2 incident
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

chrisc90

El_KaPpa wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 15:43
Nico Rosberg: "I spoke to two people from two different aero departments. There biggest focus in the last week has been to try and dissect those Red Bull pictures from Monaco, courtesy of Sergio Perez crash....They are now drying to digitalize those photographs. Putting them into a software and really understand the exact airflow as it's going through there. It's interesting how something like that could be a game changer for the teams. As I said from internal ( giving away it could be from Mercedes) that they have had people really dedicating their time in the last few days to really analyse the airflow and understand it."
It’s strictly banned to do any analysis digitally from other teams photos. Not sure what the proper name is but you can’t just LiDAR a photo and use it.

Hammerfist

xaero wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 17:12
Hell .. Russel screwed Hamilton's momentum and in the end it seems Hamilton lost confidence because of Q2 incident
Yeah he was easily ahead of the pack except max before the incident. Maybe there is more damage than we presently know.

Matt2725

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 17:14
El_KaPpa wrote:
It’s strictly banned to do any analysis digitally from other teams photos. Not sure what the proper name is but you can’t just LiDAR a photo and use it.
I thought that just amounted to if you were going to straight copy them. I don't think there's any rule saying you can't go all out studying a competitor car to see how it works and understand it better.

gh0stadian

chrisc90 wrote:
El_KaPpa wrote:
Yes, you cannot get milimeter precise model out of it, but by combining pictures from different perspective you can get pretty good results and get an idea what they want to achieve there

dans79

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 17:18
xaero wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 17:12
Yeah he was easily ahead of the pack except max before the incident. Maybe there is more damage than we presently know.
He was on the grass, so I'm sure that will be looked at. But he had a moment in turn 10/11 and that cost him in the first 2 or 3 mini sectors of sector 3 on his final run.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
El_KaPpa wrote:
Can you lidar a photograph? it is all in the same plane isn't it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mkay

chrisc90 wrote:
El_KaPpa wrote:
It's one of those things that are put on paper which are incredibly hard to monitor in practice.

chrisc90

Of course hard to monitor - but there is a ruling there.

Cant see them not being able to knock up a quick model or use photo's to understand airflows around the car/floor though.

Key thing is understanding it and being able to implement any thoughts/ideas into your own concept.