2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Farnborough
Farnborough
94
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:23 pm
Alpine Ferrari rumoured for 2026, possible Stellantis-Exor-Agnelli connection

https://scuderiafans.com/alpine-with-fe ... n-paddock/

I'd suggested that a few pages back on this very thread, adding that the Sauber supply route and capacity would potentially be available to fulfill another team.

We've had a Citroën Maserati before, Ferrari engines in Lancia cars, both road and competition. A Ferrari/Maserati powered Alpine road car would be possible commercial axis to facilitate too.

KimiRai
KimiRai
239
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

It is now being rumoured Binotto to Alpine again. After Aston chose Cowell as Whitmarsh's replacement instead of Binotto, Briatore could bring Binotto to Alpine. I imagine Sainz would be okay with that :)

Foryster
Foryster
2
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

I dont get it. They just signed Sanchez as CTO (which is a very good hire). I dont see a place for Binotto unless it's all about VIRY! Binotto is super engine specialist. This might work.

User avatar
Jambier
5
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Foryster wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:17 pm
I dont get it. They just signed Sanchez as CTO (which is a very good hire). I dont see a place for Binotto unless it's all about VIRY! Binotto is super engine specialist. This might work.
I assume Binotto to replace Famin who is supposed to be just filling the gap since Otmar was fired

User avatar
JordanMugen
83
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:23 pm
Alpine Ferrari rumoured for 2026, possible Stellantis-Exor-Agnelli connection

https://scuderiafans.com/alpine-with-fe ... n-paddock/
But Alpine-Mercedes is also rumoured:
I think Alpine will take a decision, [if] they want to continue with their Formula One engine program or not and only when they have taken that strategic decision, we will dive into our agreements.
- Toto Wolff, Mercedes GP team principal
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/07/ ... unit-deal/

In either case, would it be wise to significantly reduce costs (and potentially improve Alpine F1 Team performance) by cancelling the Renault Formula 1 power unit project? :?:

How come nobody else wants to use Renault engines? What a failure of the Renault project to not have a strong roster of power unit customers like Mercedes' 3-4 customers! :wtf: #-o

JPower
JPower
43
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 am

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Seeing how McLaren and Aston have been freed to concentrate on bolstering their technical staff and infrastructure without having to worry about PU performance, I think this would be a benefit to Alpine.

Viry has been behind the 8 ball since the beginning of the hybrid era. Never had the performance of Mercedes and Ferrari, and was quickly outdeveloped by Honda. No use in continuing to dump millions into it if the results and customers aren't there.

Enstone has plenty of talent on the chassis and aero side, and it seems like Briatore has blank check-level power now. Add a possible driver lineup of Gasly and Sainz to that, and there's definitely some upside going into 2026. They have a chance to run 2022 back, the right way.

User avatar
diffuser
228
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Foryster wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:17 pm
I dont get it. They just signed Sanchez as CTO (which is a very good hire). I dont see a place for Binotto unless it's all about VIRY! Binotto is super engine specialist. This might work.
Remember, Binotto applied for the AMR CEO job, not CTO. Current Alpine CEO is Phillipe Krief, internal hire.

Foryster
Foryster
2
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:34 pm
Foryster wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:17 pm
I dont get it. They just signed Sanchez as CTO (which is a very good hire). I dont see a place for Binotto unless it's all about VIRY! Binotto is super engine specialist. This might work.
Remember, Binotto applied for the AMR CEO job, not CTO. Current Alpine CEO is Phillipe Krief, internal hire.
Right. BUT noone wanted Binotto at this position. He has opinion of weak manager and good engineer.

He could be the head of development in Viry if they decide to stay.

Foryster
Foryster
2
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

JPower wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:55 am
Seeing how McLaren and Aston have been freed to concentrate on bolstering their technical staff and infrastructure without having to worry about PU performance, I think this would be a benefit to Alpine.

Viry has been behind the 8 ball since the beginning of the hybrid era. Never had the performance of Mercedes and Ferrari, and was quickly outdeveloped by Honda. No use in continuing to dump millions into it if the results and customers aren't there.

Enstone has plenty of talent on the chassis and aero side, and it seems like Briatore has blank check-level power now. Add a possible driver lineup of Gasly and Sainz to that, and there's definitely some upside going into 2026. They have a chance to run 2022 back, the right way.
Exactly. If you count 0,2 sec deficit they have cause of engine, then 2022 and 2023 would have been much better and even in super-close 2024 that would mean been 5th team.

So basically engine is sabotaging efforts of the team and making Alpine look bad.

And in new era the problem can only growth UNLESS you put serious money into Viry (which might be too late already for 2026).

User avatar
diffuser
228
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Foryster wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:08 am
diffuser wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:34 pm
Foryster wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:17 pm
I dont get it. They just signed Sanchez as CTO (which is a very good hire). I dont see a place for Binotto unless it's all about VIRY! Binotto is super engine specialist. This might work.
Remember, Binotto applied for the AMR CEO job, not CTO. Current Alpine CEO is Phillipe Krief, internal hire.
Right. BUT noone wanted Binotto at this position. He has opinion of weak manager and good engineer.

He could be the head of development in Viry if they decide to stay.
The F1 CEO is responsible for overseeing the overall strategy and direction of the sport. The CEO’s duties include:
  • Strategic Planning: Developing and implementing the long-term strategy for the sport, including setting goals and
    objectives for growth and development.
  • Leadership: Providing leadership and direction to the F1 team, including the management of the commercial rights holder, teams, and other stakeholders.
  • Operational Management: Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the sport, including the management of events, teams, and personnel.
  • Financial Management: Managing the financial aspects of the sport, including budgeting, forecasting, and financial reporting.
  • Stakeholder Management: Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including teams, sponsors, and other partners.
  • Regulatory Compliance: Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and laws, including those related to safety, competition, and anti-doping.
  • Communication: Communicating with stakeholders, including teams, sponsors, and the media, to ensure transparency and understanding of the sport’s goals and objectives.
In addition to these duties, the F1 CEO may also be responsible for:
  • Team Management: Managing the team’s performance and operations, including setting goals and objectives for the team and its personnel.
  • Event Management: Overseeing the planning and execution of F1 events, including the management of track operations, logistics, and hospitality.
  • Safety and Security: Ensuring the safety and security of all stakeholders, including drivers, teams, and spectators, at all F1 events.

CEO is even further away from the day to day of F1. So even if he isn't a good people manager, in this position he's only managing managers.

User avatar
factory_p
20
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Foryster wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:15 am

Exactly. If you count 0,2 sec deficit they have cause of engine, then 2022 and 2023 would have been much better and even in super-close 2024 that would mean been 5th team.

So basically engine is sabotaging efforts of the team and making Alpine look bad.

And in new era the problem can only growth UNLESS you put serious money into Viry (which might be too late already for 2026).
That's tunnel vision. The reality is that Viry and Enstone make packaging decisions based on estimations.

E.G. let's reduce the size of the plenum by this much => we estimate a loss of 10kW worth 0.05s/lap but we estimate a gain of 5pts of downforce worth 0.1s/lap

So today, with these compromises in mind, the engine is down on power but potentially helping the aero department. It's likely they could have an engine on par with the others but then the chassis would be even slower.

Remember how McLaren's size zero engine concept screwed up the early years of Honda's PU?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
343
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

factory_p wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 am
Foryster wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:15 am

Exactly. If you count 0,2 sec deficit they have cause of engine, then 2022 and 2023 would have been much better and even in super-close 2024 that would mean been 5th team.

So basically engine is sabotaging efforts of the team and making Alpine look bad.

And in new era the problem can only growth UNLESS you put serious money into Viry (which might be too late already for 2026).
That's tunnel vision. The reality is that Viry and Enstone make packaging decisions based on estimations.

E.G. let's reduce the size of the plenum by this much => we estimate a loss of 10kW worth 0.05s/lap but we estimate a gain of 5pts of downforce worth 0.1s/lap

So today, with these compromises in mind, the engine is down on power but potentially helping the aero department. It's likely they could have an engine on par with the others but then the chassis would be even slower.

Remember how McLaren's size zero engine concept screwed up the early years of Honda's PU?
It's likely they could have an engine on par with the others but then the chassis would be even slower.
They could also aim for an engine on par with the others, and a chassis on par with the others.

User avatar
diffuser
228
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:00 pm
factory_p wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 am
Foryster wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:15 am

Exactly. If you count 0,2 sec deficit they have cause of engine, then 2022 and 2023 would have been much better and even in super-close 2024 that would mean been 5th team.

So basically engine is sabotaging efforts of the team and making Alpine look bad.

And in new era the problem can only growth UNLESS you put serious money into Viry (which might be too late already for 2026).
That's tunnel vision. The reality is that Viry and Enstone make packaging decisions based on estimations.

E.G. let's reduce the size of the plenum by this much => we estimate a loss of 10kW worth 0.05s/lap but we estimate a gain of 5pts of downforce worth 0.1s/lap

So today, with these compromises in mind, the engine is down on power but potentially helping the aero department. It's likely they could have an engine on par with the others but then the chassis would be even slower.

Remember how McLaren's size zero engine concept screwed up the early years of Honda's PU?
It's likely they could have an engine on par with the others but then the chassis would be even slower.
They could also aim for an engine on par with the others, and a chassis on par with the others.
LOL