Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

I've noticed a tightening of the moderation in the last couple of weeks and I prefer it. Thank you.

The only Latin influence I detect in the mods is that they have a very approachable easy going attitude to life, they don't get caught in rules and spats. Ciro's philosophy reminds us that we're children, Tomba is like a big brother gently helping a kid on a bike, Principessa is mysterious, and mx-tifosi is not Latin (AFAIK).

donskar

For context:
I make my living doing E-Commerce/online marketing for Toyota. I open a browser by 0800 5 or 6 days a week, and am active until about 1900 - 2000 -- roughly 60-70 hours per week.

I receive HUNDREDS of emails each month. What I've learned is that emailers (like some posters):
-- have hideously poor communications skills
-- say things in email (and voice mail) that they would never say in person
-- often have personal/psychological problems that cause them to be abusive in email

So from my perspective, we NEED moderators -- and ours do very well.

Finally, YES, you have every right to hold any opinion you wish. You do NOT have the right to impose your opinion on others.

NO, you do NOT have the right to say anything you want. Do NOT yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, but do go right ahead and question the parentage of a policeman (and then the judge when you get to court.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

marcush.

donskar wrote:For context:
I make my living doing E-Commerce/online marketing for Toyota. I open a browser by 0800 5 or 6 days a week, and am active until about 1900 - 2000 -- roughly 60-70 hours per week.

I receive HUNDREDS of emails each month. What I've learned is that emailers (like some posters):
-- have hideously poor communications skills
-- say things in email (and voice mail) that they would never say in person
-- often have personal/psychological problems that cause them to be abusive in email

So from my perspective, we NEED moderators -- and ours do very well.

Finally, YES, you have every right to hold any opinion you wish. You do NOT have the right to impose your opinion on others.

NO, you do NOT have the right to say anything you want. Do NOT yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, but do go right ahead and question the parentage of a policeman (and then the judge when you get to court.)
+1 =D>

ISLAMATRON

Re: Are We in Communist China?

gridwalker wrote:Can we please change the title of this thread to something more relevant?

I find it distasteful to say the least, but I wouldn't want to think what a passing visitor may think ...

Which was my original point... Communist china has nothing to do with the moderators on this forum... even if they both clearly show the same level of bias.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I have found the moderators on here to be very fair compared with another site I know of where they are completely anonymous.

Ciro Pabón

May I say something?

Yes, I know I can.

I apologize to the forum and Steven. He knows why. I haven't had the time to moderate appropriately since last year: personal things. I had to eat some humble soup...

Anyway, when I finally realized I wasn't doing my job, mx_tifosi stepped in (thanks, man, you're brave).

He started to work for YOU as I had it then: in certain disarray.

Severals posts have said why and pointed to some guilty parties. I don't agree completely with them: I think it's my fault... I'm the one that passed a torch that burnt. Some of you know we used to have the more peaceful forum on Earth (or so it seems now).

To tell you the truth, you need to devote two to four hours daily to this site, if you want to go to bed happy with the forum.

Now we are trying to change things. Not much, just a little: I'm posting again and although i haven't closed that many threads nor deleted so many comments, I'm learning to do that. Others are learning toleration and good humour.

Let's hope we can do it: the four of us are doing this as a team, so veiled references to the style of one of us will not go far, from our perspective: we like each other and we talk a lot about what to do. Those references can be to how good someone is (we are not) or how bad someone is (we are not, either).

If I've learned something in those five years I've spent here is that the best way to moderate doesn't depend on style. I think it depends on leading the forum, by example.

Those that complain about free speech and find it too stressful for their taste should stop for a moment and ponder how we are able to take it: I've been insulted, despised, ridiculed, but also loved by some. If you ask me, I simply try to see the person behind the comment. I have pity for some, which makes easy to moderate, I have admiration for some, but over all, I have true interest in all of you.

It's much harder to show restrain and to talk to people sincerely about what they are passing through than to ban them, believe me. You wouldn't believe the number and length of PMs I've sent...

I know some of you are unhappy and it shows, very clearly, in your posts. I try to be a friend then: do you really believe people is fighting about Hamilton or Alonso?

No, guys: I think they are fighting because they don't have a good job, because they are lonely, because they don't have enough money, because their loves are few and away. Either you get that or you don't get the Internet, I think. All we can do is to change "feelings" into "learning": mods and members, we are all together in this process.

The magic of our team (mods AND members) is this, if there is one: we do not think ourselves above any other. We love you (yeah, that's a very latin thing to say, ain't it?).

That's precisely why some times we have to ban people and lock threads: we don't want you to go away from the forum in a saddest state than when you came in. Every time we lock or ban we know we have failed, but... guess what: we're almost human. We have jobs, sons, girlfriends, classes. ;)

Do you know something? It's soooo easy to convert grumpiness and ignorance into cooperation and intelligence... from my point of view, all you need is love (and time!!!).

Certainly, we are no dictators, nor you are subjects: forget about that. This is not what the GREAT F1Technical forum is about.

So, do not pose as "drama queens" nor try to give us a "pathetic" view of you, poor souls, under the harsh and unjust fist of tyranny. We're too old (and too "enginerish") for that. We've moderated for YEARS people in that position. I'm pretty sure that appeals to "my right to bash" make us think: "this guy had a bad week and he thinks we are soft or stupid". Well, we are not.

Do not underestimate us, do not compare me with a tyrant: it's better a tyrant, if you ask me... He won't make you feel guilty nor give you the love he has in his heart, to try to make you feel well, as I try to do. :D

So, in the end, give us another 10 or 20 years and we'll get the knack of it (more or less like Lotus or Force India).

Do we need stricter or softer moderation? I say firmly: neither.

We are great moderators ;) and you are great members. This is the best site you can find, let's move on, there is so much to talk about and so much to learn... no other forum offers that, they are boring after a while, we are not. Even Google recognizes it.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 13 Jul 2010, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

hollus

Since thelast shift in moderation, the threads have become easier to read. Like there is a bit more of, do I dare say it? Logic!
And people stay on focus and on topic for 4 and 5 posts at a time. I am positively surprised.
Rivals, not enemies.

Ciro Pabón

Well, thanks, Hollus. You made my day a better one: considering Spain won yesterday, that's not an easy thing to do... :D
Ciro

Giblet

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to the mods, and Ciro, while we haven't seen that much of you lately, your words are heard by those of us who give a carp about this place.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pandamasque

Giblet wrote:...by those of us who give a carp about this place.

WhiteBlue

I'm glad to hear that Ciro's interregnum may be a thing of the past. 8)

I can say that during his time away the forum wasn't moderated as we got used to expect. :(

It does not help to put up with a flood of fouls (which we had) when you know that those who do not respect the spirit and the rules get away with it. :shock:

So I look forward to a return to the "golden age". :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I think the ranking of forum members should be gotten rid of.

The way I look the site heirarchy is this:

Site Administrator

Moderators

All other users being equal

The reason for saying that all other users being equal is that the ranking system promotes a false feeling of superiority in some even though they are just a regular user.

Whilst I find the moderation to generally be fair, of late it seems to favour those who are ranked higher in terms of number of posts which is just not correct in my opinion. A user with only 1 post to their name should have just as much right as a user with 5000 posts and no favouritism should be given.

marcush.

I do not need a ranking and have not seen it that ways yet...sometimes I´m surprised to see just how many posts I have issued ,hopefully some had at least a bit of useful content ...
I know that I tend to get carried away a little to easy and I feel it is ok when mods do tap our knuckles when offtopic babble is hijacking or deluting a thread.

Scuderia_Russ

Look, Tomba and the team have a difficult enough job to do around here without having to answer whiney posts by people who do not know how to behave like an adults on a public forum.

The way I see it this is Tomba and Principessa's house and you are a GUEST here.

If Tomba did choose to run this place like a Nazi regime then that's up to him. As it stands F1T has a fairly relaxed culture and outlook on the world and I am greatful for that, but I am also glad that some of the drivel filled, low quality non technical posts are being stamped on.

There are plenty of places online where you can go and call Hamilton gay, call Schumacher a cheat and talk about Eddie Jordans wardrobe. I beg you not to do it here.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

raceman

^^Well, quite right said mate; completely agree!