Forum Icons - what do they mean?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Cam

Forum Icons - what do they mean?

Apologies if this is actually listed somewhere. I have searched the site and cannot find any reference and although it's not critical, I'm intrigued.

Where all the topics are listed, regarding the icons on the left hand side of each topic, some animate, some not, some have a red border, some have an asterix, some have a padlock symbol (locked?) some have a lightbulb kind of thing going on - what do they all mean? Is there a legend or similar that can decipher these glyphs?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Richard

Re: Forum Icons - what do they mean?

To be honest, I never notice the icons. You can see the popular topics by the number of pages, and the threads with unread posts have the “Go to last unread post in the topic” icon.

I’d turn off the icons, do they help anyone?

edit - I should add that I browse the forum via the "view new posts" page, so looking at icons to see if there are new posts in a forum is irrelevant. search.php?search_id=newposts

Here’s the explanation from the phpBB forum http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p3706355
Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, blue/grey are read
- A star on any topic means you have posted in it

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky topic
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic that you have posted in
Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Hot topic
Image - Locked topic
Image - Moved topic
Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read)
Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread)
Image - Link forum
Image - Attachment
Image - Go to last post in the topic
Image - Go to last unread post in the topic
Image - Subforum read
Image - Subforum unread

Cam

Re: Forum Icons - what do they mean?

I could not have received a better answer. That answers it spot on. Thanks!
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 29 May 2012, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.