Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rikhart

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

I dont understand why they dont just use another airbox without the ears, while not using the DRD. Maybe they didnt even make an alternative, so sure are they that the DRD will work and be an asset?

Neno

Rikhart wrote:I dont understand why they dont just use another airbox without the ears, while not using the DRD. Maybe they didnt even make an alternative, so sure are they that the DRD will work and be an asset?
no gain in using DRD in jerez, barcelona will be a more better example for testing this aero sensitive device then Jerez.
Jerez is also reason why Lotus didnt do much longer stints. Jerez is always being starting point to check everything on the car, not to exploit everything you did in winter pause.

Rikhart

Neno wrote:
Rikhart wrote:I dont understand why they dont just use another airbox without the ears, while not using the DRD. Maybe they didnt even make an alternative, so sure are they that the DRD will work and be an asset?
no gain in using DRD in jerez, barcelona will be a more better example for testing this aero sensitive device then Jerez.
Jerez is also reason why Lotus didnt do much longer stints. Jerez is always being starting point to check everything on the car, not to exploit everything you did in winter pause.
Sure I accept all that, then they should have put in an airbox without the ears, cant be that hard? They would even hide their plans a bit better like that. But no, they keep running with the blocked intakes, makes no sense.

spadeflush

The extra intakes might have another function. Cooling maybe? I am no technical expert but if they ran with the ears for all 4 days without testing the device there must be more to it than we think
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Bredd

They were having problems with it last year. If they run it with the ears but blocked and get data on airflow and the aerodynamics of the car without the passive drs being used but the device still being there. The device will create drag. When they unblock it they will be able to better isolate the benefits and disadvantages of the airflow and aero of the thing because they have he first bit of data. It's all about isolating the data.

stefan_

spadeflush wrote:The extra intakes might have another function. Cooling maybe? I am no technical expert but if they ran with the ears for all 4 days without testing the device there must be more to it than we think
The "ears" were on the car all four days, but they were closed, so no hidden purpose to have them apart from the already known one.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rikhart

Bredd wrote:They were having problems with it last year. If they run it with the ears but blocked and get data on airflow and the aerodynamics of the car without the passive drs being used but the device still being there. The device will create drag. When they unblock it they will be able to better isolate the benefits and disadvantages of the airflow and aero of the thing because they have he first bit of data. It's all about isolating the data.
The device wasn´t there, thats my point. They had the intakes that feed it, but not the system installed. Making running with the intakes there, yet blocked, on all four days, very strange.

zonk

The other interesting aspect behind the utilisation of such ducts around the airbox is for 'air spillage', over recent seasons this hasn't been a problem as the engine has been continually consuming air (Off Throttle Diffuser Blowing). However now the use of off throttle blowing has been curtailed when the driver lifts out of the throttle the required amount of air entering the airbox inlet isn't so large. This effectively creates a blockage and so the airflow stagnates (builds up) and then cascades over the sides of the engine cover. This type of airflow is disruptive and effects the bodywork aft of the airbox. As this occurs during the braking and turning in phase it's quite an undesirable effect as it reduces the effectiveness of the Rear Wing aswell as any residual effect on downforce the exhaust plume may have. The ducts added to the sides of the airbox inlet act as catchment devices for the airflow during these off throttle moments. This helps to keep airflow heading toward the rear wing uniform resulting in a downforce gain during braking/cornering.

Neno

Rikhart wrote:
Bredd wrote:They were having problems with it last year. If they run it with the ears but blocked and get data on airflow and the aerodynamics of the car without the passive drs being used but the device still being there. The device will create drag. When they unblock it they will be able to better isolate the benefits and disadvantages of the airflow and aero of the thing because they have he first bit of data. It's all about isolating the data.
The device wasn´t there, thats my point. They had the intakes that feed it, but not the system installed. Making running with the intakes there, yet blocked, on all four days, very strange.
It's first test, i think device is properly installed from beggining in the car (under this means their is place in car where device is coming), the car is maybe built around him and coanda. So, it's not strange that the intakes are there.
Maybe they did bring "The Device" in Jerez, but not installed it for not losing time for other important stuff like finding more downforce, or spending time on setups, trying different exaust systems, putting sensors around diffuser. It's new car, completly new car, "The device" was not priority.

Bredd

Rikhart wrote:
I know they were but the systems job is to reduce drag. Now those ears by themselves create drag by just being another body part that catches airflow. This test they haven't used the system yet but they should know what the airflow is like on their car at the moment and the drag of the car. Next test at Barcelona when they do use the system they now know how much drag the car has how much does the device reduce that.

stefan_

DRD. First time I see it functioning on the E21.

F1NL / XPB
Last edited by stefan_ on 08 Feb 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pandabeer

Wow, i didn't even know that Lotus were testing their DRD today. Do you know how long it was tested today?

korzeniow

Yay! I'm also suprised.

But this looks to me rather like "quick" test solution. The pipe isn't connected to the rear wing's main plate and outlet tube is missing together with special monkey seat.

I think this is temporary test solotion that you can quickly put on and quickly remove.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

stefan_

If I remember correctly it wasn't attached to the RWMP in the past either, and the outlet tube maybe was replaced by that piece that simply directs the air to the monkey seat.

Will be interesting to see the layout in Barcelona.

korzeniow

It was connected:

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013