Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
user001

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

also the camera position over the sidepod is diffrent. why?

they seem to also during racing to "test" the car ;-)

Coefficient

SiLo wrote:The shadows are causing tricks, they are the same vents, it's just the perspective is ever slightly different on each car causing you to see further "round" on one car than the other where the shadow is actually apparent.

I'd love to see them get to understand the car more this year, I don't mind if they don't bring constant massive updates, sometimes understanding the car more is worth the same as designing a part to be stuck on the car.
Disagree, Lewis's car clearly has a 4 gill cooling outlet to his right whereas Nico only has a 3 gill one.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

prince

Coefficient wrote:
SiLo wrote:The shadows are causing tricks, they are the same vents, it's just the perspective is ever slightly different on each car causing you to see further "round" on one car than the other where the shadow is actually apparent.

I'd love to see them get to understand the car more this year, I don't mind if they don't bring constant massive updates, sometimes understanding the car more is worth the same as designing a part to be stuck on the car.
Disagree, Lewis's car clearly has a 4 gill cooling outlet to his right whereas Nico only has a 3 gill one.
I feel the car is a very competitive one, but the team haven't come out of the shocks of past seasons and seems to be too conservative to experiment with aggressive strategies. This car is almost like Redbull one, good on downforce, low on top speed, still in front. The ghost of "tyre degradation" is still with the team which makes them approach the races too cautiously.

Mika1

It's a good car, but the RBR has more downforce. The low top speed shows me they chosed a different direction.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Unc1e_M0nty

[quote="prince] The ghost of "tyre degradation" is still with the team which makes them approach the races too cautiously.[/quote]

I'm not sure about that, RB sounded more worried about the tyres before & durign the race, they had to drive well within the cars limits to get any life out of them. In comntrast Merc looked like they were pushing real hard until the fuel problem.

lewishamilton90

vergne o ricciardo

BorisTheBlade

lewishamilton90 wrote:vergne o ricciardo
???

yener

winth304 wrote:
also the camera position over the sidepod is diffrent. why?

they seem to also during racing to "test" the car ;-)
The reason the camera positions are different are simply commercial reasons. They wanted to give the viewers as much different angles as possible.
Then on the other hand i ask myself when do they decide the position? Is it before the race? Or can the FIA place them anywhere they want?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

gray41

The cameras area aero neutral so I'm not sure it matters where they are positioned?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

aral

gray41 wrote:The cameras area aero neutral so I'm not sure it matters where they are positioned?
The camers, individually, are supposed to be aero neutral, but the position of them can have an aero effect. Merc placed the nose cameras immediately above the front wing, between the pylons. No air was able go between them and the wing, so effectly the cameras created a hump at the back of the mainplane, thus creating a venturi effect under the nose. Most teams have experimented with differing positions to try and find out if they can find a gain. Mercs placing seems to be the best, thats if they need a venturi below the nose.

shelly

LilDEF1 wrote:Guys by vortex you mean something like this?

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o71 ... 56bc5c.jpg

Makes me wonder why they removed it in Australia after running it throughout winter testing. Maybe they realized they really need it now after all??? Hmm. Anyway can't wait to see the car on track with its full package for this weekend.
the aero detail of rear wheel strake on mercedes that we discussed on page 103-104 of this thread was also treated by omnicorse:
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/25997/ ... i-scarichi

Interestingly they follow the same line of our discussion but in the opinion of their aero expert the strake is mainly a bridge that make the outer flow jump above the exhaust and go to the starter motor hole. There is no hint to the vortex nor to the fact that the strake was spresent in before coanda exhaust (on the first e20 last year for example).

Interesting that they have made an article about something discussed here - maybe they read here also
twitter: @armchair_aero

lewishamilton90

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/26065/ ... della-fia-
Red Bull, Mercedes e Lotus nel mirino della FIA?
A Sepang sarebbero emerse in verifica anomalie allo splitter: devono mettersi in ordine per Shanghai

Hail22

lewishamilton90 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/26065/ ... della-fia-
A Sepang sarebbero emerse in verifica anomalie allo splitter: devono mettersi in ordine per Shanghai
Translation of the quoted article above (Apologies for the wall of text) #-o
The news for the moment remained concealed. No one has spoken yet, but the FIA ​​scrutineers at Sepang three teams were summoned to intervene on their cars before the next Grand Prix of China, or they will be declared illegal: it's Red Bull Racing, Mercedes and Lotus. During scrutineering, the Grand Prix of Malaysia, the technicians of the International Federation have checked the T-Tray of the various machines, namely the splitter that is under the body and its "ties" to avoid the flexibility of the spoon and were no indications that at least they did discuss. And it is no coincidence that under observation are the first four cars of the league and the winner of the Malaysian Grand Prix of Australia ...

RAKE STRUCTURE exasperated It has not escaped the men of Charlie Whiting in Australia that the machines of the top teams had a somewhat exasperated rake structure: that is, the front wing, when the car was in motion was visimante lower, because the F. 1 took a beat structure, with the lower front and rear visibly higher.

ALA LOW AND MORE 'LOAD WITH DIFFUSER The aerodynamic advantages are twofold: to have a front profile more grazing the land can increase the load and rebalance the car in the rear that, thanks to the "mini heat" which is active between the wheel and rear bulkhead of the wing, with the exhaust gas blowers, can ensure a greater flow capacity in the rear diffuser that can benefit from a greater Venturi effect thanks in part to beat.

VIEWFINDER'S 'THE T-TRAY This is possible because the splitter in the underbody, the lowest point of the car, deflects upward, avoiding the wooden shoe that is under the fund may consume too much, crawling on the asphalt of the track, resulting in exclusion from the race (they are granted 2 mm of wear). Charlie Whiting and Jo Bauer over time have changed the controls inspections: initially occurred only that the spoon does not flex seal down to the ground "beak". And then it was appeared different rods that later became the T-Tray, but in a second phase had to keep an eye on the deflection of the splitter, just to avoid the rake structure too pushed.

PLATFORM MULTI FUNCTIONAL in the box to verify the FIA ​​is a multi-functional platform where the cars are brought to each GP for the controls. Formula 1 is positioned exactly with the wheels on the four scales. From the bottom of the template are made to protrude steel pins that are placed in correspondence of the fixing holes of the table. Due to the weight of the machine estimated at about 580 kg (rider + vehicle must be 642 kg) of the car "sits" on the reference plane. It is at this point that of a hydraulic strut is applied a load of 200 kg that raises the front splitter measuring the deformation with the sensors.

THREE SEATER NOT A RULE IN SEPANG at Sepang three cars would not be within the tolerances allowed by the rules and would be asked to put in place for the next Grand Prix which will be held in China. In essence, the FIA ​​has summoned three teams that raced in Malaysia outside the rules, to be within the regulatory limits in order to avoid a disqualification in Shanghai.

RED BULL, LOTUS AND MERCEDES IN SIGHT? Obviously started the witch hunt to find out what the teams involved: the list seems to be no Red Bull in Sepang just scored twice with RB9, along with Lotus and Mercedes. This news is bound to create a fuss in the Circus: for some this will be a great shaking of Easte
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

aral

Hail22 wrote:
lewishamilton90 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/26065/ ... della-fia-
Translation of the quoted article above (Apologies for the wall of text) #-o
The news for the moment remained concealed. No one has spoken yet, but the FIA ​​scrutineers at Sepang three teams were summoned to intervene on their cars before the next Grand Prix of China, or they will be declared illegal: it's Red Bull Racing, Mercedes and Lotus. During scrutineering, the Grand Prix of Malaysia, the technicians of the International Federation have checked the T-Tray of the various machines, namely the splitter that is under the body and its "ties" to avoid the flexibility of the spoon and were no indications that at least they did discuss. And it is no coincidence that under observation are the first four cars of the league and the winner of the Malaysian Grand Prix of Australia ...

RAKE STRUCTURE exasperated It has not escaped the men of Charlie Whiting in Australia that the machines of the top teams had a somewhat exasperated rake structure: that is, the front wing, when the car was in motion was visimante lower, because the F. 1 took a beat structure, with the lower front and rear visibly higher.

ALA LOW AND MORE 'LOAD WITH DIFFUSER The aerodynamic advantages are twofold: to have a front profile more grazing the land can increase the load and rebalance the car in the rear that, thanks to the "mini heat" which is active between the wheel and rear bulkhead of the wing, with the exhaust gas blowers, can ensure a greater flow capacity in the rear diffuser that can benefit from a greater Venturi effect thanks in part to beat.

VIEWFINDER'S 'THE T-TRAY This is possible because the splitter in the underbody, the lowest point of the car, deflects upward, avoiding the wooden shoe that is under the fund may consume too much, crawling on the asphalt of the track, resulting in exclusion from the race (they are granted 2 mm of wear). Charlie Whiting and Jo Bauer over time have changed the controls inspections: initially occurred only that the spoon does not flex seal down to the ground "beak". And then it was appeared different rods that later became the T-Tray, but in a second phase had to keep an eye on the deflection of the splitter, just to avoid the rake structure too pushed.

PLATFORM MULTI FUNCTIONAL in the box to verify the FIA ​​is a multi-functional platform where the cars are brought to each GP for the controls. Formula 1 is positioned exactly with the wheels on the four scales. From the bottom of the template are made to protrude steel pins that are placed in correspondence of the fixing holes of the table. Due to the weight of the machine estimated at about 580 kg (rider + vehicle must be 642 kg) of the car "sits" on the reference plane. It is at this point that of a hydraulic strut is applied a load of 200 kg that raises the front splitter measuring the deformation with the sensors.

THREE SEATER NOT A RULE IN SEPANG at Sepang three cars would not be within the tolerances allowed by the rules and would be asked to put in place for the next Grand Prix which will be held in China. In essence, the FIA ​​has summoned three teams that raced in Malaysia outside the rules, to be within the regulatory limits in order to avoid a disqualification in Shanghai.

RED BULL, LOTUS AND MERCEDES IN SIGHT? Obviously started the witch hunt to find out what the teams involved: the list seems to be no Red Bull in Sepang just scored twice with RB9, along with Lotus and Mercedes. This news is bound to create a fuss in the Circus: for some this will be a great shaking of Easte
Could be interesting (should it be on this thread?) However, it is carried in an Italian publication, and is supposedly secret, and there was no mention of Ferrari. Knowing that McLaren were caught out last year for the same thing, I find the report a little dubious. No doubt more info will come out, but I have seen no mention on any reputable site.

Hail22

Well if you like I can edit/omit the page? the only reason I posted it was to aid the OP of the article as it was in Italian >.<

I believe it should be here as it relates to the T-tray of Mercedes as well (Unless I'm mistaken that its not a technical aspect of the vehicle).

Anyways, if members and the mods want it removed/edited to only show the Mercedes Segment, you need only ask me once :)

Regards,

P.S I agree...until some other news sources filter/pull this into the spotlight I guess it can only be taken upon face value for the moment.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve