2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

ME4ME wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It wont be james thats taking it because james is not experienced at that management level i think.
Could you explain that further? I'm amazed by your comment. Makes no sense to me what so ever.
What is there to be amazed about?
Did James ever function at team principal level before? Can't remember that. I always saw him as just the technical guy who does the aerodynamics and wanted nothing of politc.. never seen him in a team principal conference before either.

Remember Mercedes has another step in their heirachy. Paddy was not a technical director as we knew it. There were many technical directors below Paddy, each prominent in their own right and capable enough to be TD of any other team.

http://desktop.motorsportmagazine.com/2 ... index.html
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy

He has been in the press conferences plenty of times (google image search)

But I agree regardless, I don't think management of a (whole) team is him. I can't see him taking over Paddy's role as a director of the sporting side. But thats not to say Paddy leaving hasn't left a hole.

LookBackTime

Doctor Z can be real funny!!!

ZETSCHE: MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS SOMETHING AGAIN WITH LEWIS!

Mercedes CEO Dieter Zetsche revealed that he had just stepped out of a shower when his phone rang with motorsport chief Toto Wolff delivering the news that Nico Rosberg had decided to resign a mere five days after claiming his first Formula 1 World Championship title.

Zetsche told Autocar, “I had just come out of the shower when the phone had rung. I saw that it was Toto Wolff and immediately my first thought was: No, something again with Lewis Hamilton!”

“And then Toto shared the news with me. I must admit I really did not expect Nico’s retirement,” added the Mercedes big boss.

Rosberg’s decision took the the sporting world by storm as there was no evidence that the German would be hanging up his gloves in such a manner. The move also left Mercedes in a tricky position of not having a driver for 2017 when most top candidates were contracted with their respective teams.

But Zetsche backs the decision made by F1’s latest world champion: “I respect Rosberg’s decision. We have a driver with Hamilton, who says: I want more and more, I want to break records and write history.”

“And we have a driver who said: Well, I have fulfilled my dream, how can I surpass that? I find both approaches comprehensible and justified.”

“Sure, I’d rather have two world champions in the team for the forthcoming season. I know the fight would again be very intense. Now we need a new driver… such is life.”

“I was neither offended nor disappointed. Such a decision has to be respected,” added Zetsche.

Valtteri Bottas is expected to be confirmed soon as Hamilton’s teammate at Mercedes for 2017 and beyond.

ME4ME

PlatinumZealot wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It wont be james thats taking it because james is not experienced at that management level i think.
Could you explain that further? I'm amazed by your comment. Makes no sense to me what so ever.
What is there to be amazed about?
Did James ever function at team principal level before? Can't remember that. I always saw him as just the technical guy who does the aerodynamics and wanted nothing of politc.. never seen him in a team principal conference before either.

Remember Mercedes has another step in their heirachy. Paddy was not a technical director as we knew it. There were many technical directors below Paddy, each prominent in their own right and capable enough to be TD of any other team.

http://desktop.motorsportmagazine.com/2 ... index.html
I wouldn't call Paddy's position at Mercedes team principle, that title is more suitable for Toto Wolff's position. Allison did at Ferrari what Paddy did at Mercedes. They were both responsable for the overall technical leadership and had authority over the individual departments and directors. Thus, Allison would be a great replacement based on experience. Also he is very highly rated, I can't understand why you would neglect his managerial experience.

FW17

Wonder if Paddy is jumping ship as there is a major blunder in the 2017 design as we saw in the 2013 Mclaren

astracrazy

ME4ME wrote: I wouldn't call Paddy's position at Mercedes team principle, that title is more suitable for Toto Wolff's position. Allison did at Ferrari what Paddy did at Mercedes. They were both responsable for the overall technical leadership and had authority over the individual departments and directors. Thus, Allison would be a great replacement based on experience. Also he is very highly rated, I can't understand why you would neglect his managerial experience.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/wp-co ... ce-Spa.jpg
Who appears in the TP press conference doesn't mean much, its more to do with the topics being discussed.

There isn't a sole TP at Merc. That was Ross but then the job got spilt into two. Toto (Commercial) and Paddy (Sporting). Essentially Paddy was the TP but didn't get involved with the commercial side.

James Allen's role at Ferrari would be more like Willis or Costa?
Paddy AND Toto would be like Maurizio Arrivabene for example

SparkyAMG

FW17 wrote:Wonder if Paddy is jumping ship as there is a major blunder in the 2017 design as we saw in the 2013 Mclaren
Jumping ship? I highly doubt he's worried about his reputation, and even if he was, his absence in the 2017 Merc team would not absolve him of responsibility for the 2017 car as the concepts and design would have been set in stone a long time ago...

I don't think Merc will have got it wrong. They've demonstrated since 2013 that they know how to build a quick car from both the power unit and chassis/aero perspective. Their aero concept since 2014 has differed from Red Bull's (low rake/trick front suspension vs high rake/trick rear suspension) but has arguably been as good as, if not better, across most tracks.

The question now is whether Red Bull's high rake philosophy is a lot better suited to the new rules where we'll see larger diffusers and bargeboards. I'm not an aerodynamicist so I don't know either way, but I suspect, and hope, that we'll see a return to the days where certain cars excelled on some tracks, and others elsewhere. It should make for a more competitive season if that's the case.

GoranF1

FW17 wrote:Wonder if Paddy is jumping ship as there is a major blunder in the 2017 design as we saw in the 2013 Mclaren
I heard Hamilton told his friends, this year title is unlikely for Mercedes.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Gridlock

^ A lot of criticism of a team with 6 championships in 3 years :D

dans79

GoranF1 wrote:
Proof?
197 104 103 7

flynfrog

Goran is Lewis' dog walker what more proof do you need.

gary123

dans79 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Proof?
SnapChat :lol:

GoranF1

Lewis told Rita Ora...she told her hairdresser....the hairdresser told her brother who is a member on this forum.

Facts Only

I heard that Lewis told his friends that it was the greatest car he had ever seen (including Knight Rider) and he reckoned he would walk the championship winning at least 15 races...

On a serious note, if Merc's dominance continues how many races will Bottas win? 3 maybe 4?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

GoranF1

Facts Only wrote:I heard that Lewis told his friends that it was the greatest car he had ever seen (including Knight Rider) and he reckoned he would walk the championship winning at least 15 races.
Is that a fact only?