MotoGP 2017

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: MotoGP 2017

Jerez Q: 1, D.P.; 2, M.M.; 3, C.C.; 4, M.V.; 5, I.A.; 6, J.Z.; 7, V.R.; 8, J.L.; 9, J.F.; 10, J.M...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.

D.P. jumped out to lead from pole, & never relinquished his lead, a very smooth yet super fast consistency, well won..
M.M. came home 2nd, after pushing as hard as he dared - to haul Dani back.
J.L. rode his best Ducati race so far, working his way up to 3rd, again smooth & consistent.
Zarco was the best Yamaha - he'd zoomed through to 3rd, challenged M.M. for 2nd, but had to give way to J.L...
Dovizioso was next, & it was unusual to see the Ducati getting through tight corners quicker than the Yamahas..

M.V. ( 6th) & V.R.( 10th) had to grin & bear it,to finish where they could - lest they slip off, as many others did..

Singabule

Wow honda bikes rocks! Congrats to pedrosa and lorenzo! Very mature riding!

J.A.W.

Yeah, it was good to watch ol' Dani do his 'pull a rabbit out of the hat' trick, & win the 3,000th FIM World Championship G.P..

When everything slots into place for D.P., he is unbeatable - as he demonstrated, its just too bad he's never been able to
string enough of those performances together - to win the premier Moto G.P. rider's title..

Andres125sx

Pedrosa won his 30th MotoGP race at the 3000th GP :mrgreen:

The track was very difficult with several corners with compromised grip, 3 or 4 according to Pedrosa. Both Pedrosa and Marquez said after the race it was a VERY difficult race with constant front wheel sliding. Marquez said in those condition were you need to be smooth and precise Pedrosa is the best out there. Literally, not my interpretation. He said he tried his best but renounced to victory after some close calls

Great to see Lorenzo on the podium again, now with Ducati, but I´m afraid it´s a consequence of Yamaha problems. Or maybe not?

Not a too exciting race after all, but good to see Pedrosa winning and Lorenzo on the podium again

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
09 May 2017, 10:57
Pedrosa won his 30th MotoGP race at the 3000th GP...
...Pedrosa is the best out there. Literally, not my interpretation...
Yeah, I did note that 3000th thing already.. & that on his day D.P. is unbeatable.. but those days are not too frequent...

Certainly D.P. has Jerez long since well 'mapped' mentally, & smoothly - as his splendid pursang G.P. 250 best lap shows..

GPR-A duplicate2

While watching the qualifying on BT Sport, it was mentioned that, MM is 8 kilos heavier than Dani P. That is one of the reasons why DP can opt for one level softer tyres as he has to carry less weight on the bike. Not sure how much that affects as the tyre usage has more to do with the chassis and the riding style. But 8 kilos more is strange!

The other aspect is also that, MM wants to have more grip at the later stages of a GP, hence he probably opts for slightly harder tyre combination. He manages first 2 third of the race without falling back, which generally allows him to go for charge in the last third.

J.A.W.

GPR-A wrote:
09 May 2017, 13:04
While watching the qualifying on BT Sport, it was mentioned that, MM is 8 kilos heavier than Dani P. That is one of the reasons why DP can opt for one level softer tyres as he has to carry less weight on the bike. Not sure how much that affects as the tyre usage has more to do with the chassis and the riding style. But 8 kilos more is strange!

The other aspect is also that, MM wants to have more grip at the later stages of a GP, hence he probably opts for slightly harder tyre combination. He manages first 2 third of the race without falling back, which generally allows him to go for charge in the last third.
8kg difference is 'strange' GPR-A?
D.P. is a ~50kg 'shrimp'! That's way off the low end percentile - for a European adult male..
& the Moto G.P. bikes weight a minimum of 160kg, so if he can attack smoothly - D.P. has it - on power-to-weight..

Andres125sx

Marquez also said after the race it was the front tire wich was limiting him from pushing harder at the final part of the race, but he was happy about his choice of hard compound in the rear end, while Pedrosa made the most of the medium compound on both wheels.

Different riding styles apart from Dani´s light weight, Marquez is a lot more aggresive and he suffer more than Dani on slippery tracks where smoothness is more effective than aggressiveness

idylapat5

You never know about Rossi, as his fan one must always have his heart in mouth.
At times he rides around like a completely lost man only to turn out looking completely a different monster in race.
As he has turned 38, even a die hard fan cannot shake off the thoughts of him fading off into his ages as the next new set of fast riders have truly arrived.
Here is hoping the magic still continues.

WaikeCU

Don't know where to put this, but former World Champion Nicky Hayden had a serious bicycle accident in Italy. He was hit by a car and suffered a severe chest and head trauma.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/motogp ... 1795301535

Cold Fussion

Seems like every week for past couple months there is a notable athlete being hit by a car while cycling.

WaikeCU

J.A.W. wrote:
19 May 2017, 13:05
Pay some respect regarding his situation now and not questioning his career path is what I meant during these difficult times. His latest results weren't great, but the guy can race. One does not just become World Champion in the highest class that easily against a racing legend like Valentino Rossi. He certainely didn't lack ambition to continue racing.

I ain't your fella, so stop calling me that.

End of discussion.

turbof1

I agree: this is highly disrespectful towards Hayden. Posts removed.
#AeroFrodo

J.A.W.

WaikeCU wrote:
19 May 2017, 13:31
J.A.W. wrote:
19 May 2017, 13:05
Pay some respect regarding his situation now and not questioning his career path is what I meant during these difficult times. His latest results weren't great, but the guy can race. One does not just become World Champion in the highest class that easily against a racing legend like Valentino Rossi. He certainely didn't lack ambition to continue racing.

I ain't your fella, so stop calling me that.

End of discussion.
Fact is.. Hayden was Moto G.P. World Champion, & he is due respect for that.
Fact also: motor racing & training for it, can be life threatening, & each participant needs to make their own
call about the risk-benefit line.. Casey Stoner copped flak for calling it a day, when he did, too..
& no you aint 'my' fella, but you are a fella, eh, fella.. & so.."end of discussion"..