2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

Gothrek wrote:
19 May 2017, 11:21
AnthonyG wrote:
19 May 2017, 11:15
Raikkonen will get pole and the racewin.
Isn't Monaco one of Raikkonen worst races?

Nice post from Fulcrum on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26386#p697315
I also feel this is not a Ferrari track! #-o
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

FrukostScones

Schuttelberg wrote:
19 May 2017, 11:34
Gothrek wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:

I also feel this is not a Ferrari track! #-o
Your feelings deceive you.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Unc1eM0nty

I just can't get excited about this race, all the glitz and glamour cannot make up for the 78 lap procession we are about to witness.

I wouldn't be bothered if this race and a couple of the other bore fests were wiped from the race calendar.

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:
18 May 2017, 15:11
As a neutral fan, I'd personally love a rainy Monaco, with a mayhem of (none-injuring) crashes and a random driver claiming victory after a heroic race.
Must be Hulkenberg surely! =D>

Fast, consistent and also majestic under changing weather conditions. Just need a bit luck on his side.

Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
16 May 2017, 22:06
Monaco is a paradox, it's incredibly bumpy, but having been there once or twice the roads are always very well maintained. Also the weather is hugely unpredictable, and it's easier to predict the weather in Silverstone than it is here.
There is a big difference between a very smooth road and a racing circuit. Even the most bumpy cuircuits are smooth compared to a fresh tarmac road.

zac510

Gothrek wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:

You could tell me that is Raikkonen's recent record from any race circuit and I'd believe you.

Racer X

Pérez will be fun to see as well as Ocon.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Fulcrum

Looks like rain is a slim possibility at this juncture.

This being the case, what is the relative performance of a new Supersoft to a used Ultrasoft? Undercutting hasn't proved definitively beneficial so far this year, and Monaco typically rewards those who stop later.

All pointing toward pitting as late as you dare, pitting to avoid traffic, pitting into a massive window of free air, pitting during a VSC/Safety Car, or some combination thereof.

All I hope for are several cars in reasonably close proximity, likely to be Vettel, Hamilton, Bottas, possibly Verstappen, Ricciardo and Raikkonen. That introduces the lottery effect, otherwise it will largely be processional. Fun to watch in spite of this though.

PlatinumZealot

Warming the tyres is the biggest consideration to jump your rivals.
Have slow tyre warm up?? Pit pater! If you pit late you will be stuck warming tyres when your rival is ripping up the streets on a fresh set. But guess what... He will get stuck behind you! That's right. If the tyre warm up period is X-laps... Pit AFTER your rival no more than X laps.

If tyre warm up is quick pit as soon as you can but never before the saftey car window. It is Monaco after all.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 May 2017, 19:29
Warming the tyres is the biggest consideration to jump your rivals.
Have slow tyre warm up?? Pit pater! If you pit late you will be stuck warming tyres when your rival is ripping up the streets on a fresh set. But guess what... He will get stuck behind you! That's right. If the tyre warm up period is X-laps... Pit AFTER your rival no more than X laps.

If tyre warm up is quick pit as soon as you can but never before the saftey car window. It is Monaco after all.
Why would you bother with strategy consideration in Monaco? Forget about undercuts, pace, warming up or whatever, only SC and traffic matters. Pitstops too especially those that last 10 s =P~ .
"What is the relative performance of a new Supersoft to a used Ultrasoft? Undercutting hasn't proved definitively beneficial so far this year, and Monaco typically rewards those who stop later."
It doesn't matter, not in in the slightest. IMO US will be quicker, so pitting later should be better but since it's about track position and everyone stops once, see above: traffic and SC.

Fifty

I think this race would be awesome if there were no front or rear wings...
Just mechanical grip, lots of slipping and sliding... bumping...

WaikeCU

I have the feeling Merc will be using Bottas as a dummy, just like Kimi will be for Ferrari, just to test out how things pan out when they switch tires during the race. So they know when they should pit for Lewis and Seb without compromising track position.

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 May 2017, 22:51
With wider cars, it's gonna be a bin-fest!

List of drivers who will crash..
Verstappen
Vettel - taken out by car #7 who gets bumped by Mad max first corner Two Mercs scamper off from front row.
Raikkonen
Stroll - crashes into one of Sauber round the back
Massa
Palmer
Grosjean
Ericsson
Ocon
Kyvat

At this point on the track will be so clear that these survivors will enjoy a leisurely procession to the end of the race:

Hamilton
Bottas
Button (gets on the podium - who knew the McLaren Chassis and tyre management was better than the Red-Bull?)
Ricciardo
Vandoorne
Perez
Sainz
Hulkenburg
Wehrlein
Magnussen
This post made me smile for numerous reasons. I like the crash list and a Button podium!
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

WaikeCU wrote:
22 May 2017, 12:58
I have the feeling Merc will be using Bottas as a dummy, just like Kimi will be for Ferrari, just to test out how things pan out when they switch tires during the race. So they know when they should pit for Lewis and Seb without compromising track position.
Why do you get that feeling? My feeling is that Mercedes don't want Hamilton to feel he is number 1. That is the last thing this new Mercedes Administration wants because Hamilton would be too influential in the team. See the Nico Vs Hamilton era.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 May 2017, 16:25
Why do you get that feeling? My feeling is that Mercedes don't want Hamilton to feel he is number 1. That is the last thing this new Mercedes Administration wants because Hamilton would be too influential in the team.
The administration is going to have to swallow their pride if they want to claim the WCC & WDC again this year.
197 104 103 7