2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mertol

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Even Kimi beats Vettel so definitely not his best.

hurril

I think Vettel should take the hand down and focus on his own driving.

Treble

hurril wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:26
Totally agree, Vettel is not focus enough, he is making a lot of mistakes. I wonder where Alonso would be with this car...This Ferrari car is designed for him, it's not acceptable Kimi had better quali and race. I hope he will improve .

iotar__

mertol wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:07
Even Kimi beats Vettel so definitely not his best.
Was the pace gap (including every variable) between Ferrari and RB bigger than between Mercedes and Ferrari? Different tyres are not an excuse since the race (same as Russia, Austria) consists of combined pace of two stints and other self inflicted elements: Q, start, wheel to wheel consequences etc.

Track is what is but the gap to even the slowest of the top three (RB) is depressing. It's like Mercedes from previous years x 3 and not much racing between them especially when they remove fights between team-mates.

hurril

Treble wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:38
hurril wrote:
Totally agree, Vettel is not focus enough, he is making a lot of mistakes. I wonder where Alonso would be with this car...This Ferrari car is designed for him, it's not acceptable Kimi had better quali and race. I hope he will improve .
That too but I just find it annoying that he drives it hard but when he's served some of the same treats, he get the damn hand out :) This is something I associate with Italian soccer players, not professional racing drivers.

Shakeman

That was the best GP of the season so far for me. I wish every fortnight was like that.

I might be biased but Silverstone is a fantastic track and it would be a shame to lose it to a processional street circuit.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 21:36
Vasconia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 18:27

At least on the previous page I have read more people laughing at Ferrari than any supporter.. :roll:

I think the idea of Ferrari having a truly good car was a dream. This season is looking more and more like 2012s season, but unfortunately for Vettel he has not the same gap. Once Mercedes has brought a big update and solved their tyre management problems they have been dominating ever single race with the sole exception of Monaco. Only some drama has made possible to see other winners rather than Hamilton.
The ferrari car is still competitive if we examine the facts: Vettel got held up by max negating his supersoft pace compared to Bottas in the first stint.
If Vettel was in front of Max he would have passed Kimi and be running in clean air more or less.
After his first pit stop Vettel would not have no threat of the undercut and he would prepared his tyres on the outlap much better the result of this being a nailed on fight for the win with Hamilton.

I think ferrari fans are clearly overreacting. Watch how close it will be in Hungary.
Hamilton had a gap of around 15 seconds with Kimi( a competitive Kimi this time) and it was pretty clear that Lewis was driving with "one hand". If needed the gap would have been much bigger. The superiority in aero efficiency+PU of Mercedes is pretty clear. Unless something changes I see them absolutery superior in Spa, Monza or Japan, for example.

Ferrari should be stronger in Hungary but I expect Mercedes to be much better than in Monaco.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 18:47
Vasconia wrote:
At least on the previous page I have read more people laughing at Ferrari than any supporter.. :roll:
I can bet you for sure that there is not a single individual here who genuinely hate Ferrari! Yes, I can bet. If anything, the hatred is towards stupid people who try to hype the team, the personnel, the drivers more than they deserve, comes out in a form that seems like hatred towards Ferrari.
Vasconia wrote:
I think the idea of Ferrari having a truly good car was a dream.
As I said, SF70H was the best car that started the season. That's a fact. Mercedes had so many issues with the car; overweight, bad on tyres and who knows what else.

Give that car and PU to Red Bull and see what would happen. It's all about developing the car, which Ferrari has been lagging (over the years).
I was refering to a blind supporters.

I expressed myself quite badly, I meaned a superior car, the Ferrar is indeed an excellent car but this season is looking more and more like 2012. At that time Ferrari had a very good car but it was looking superior to RB only because they managed the tyres better. Once RB found the solution(we know how it came), the game was over. I am afraid this time could happen the same if Mercedes has been able(it seems to be the case) to unlock all the potential of their car after they have solved their problems with the tyres and overweight.

I am really hope I am wrong, though. I do want to see a close battle between Lewis and Sebastian.

Vasconia

Shakeman wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:52
That was the best GP of the season so far for me. I wish every fortnight was like that.

I might be biased but Silverstone is a fantastic track and it would be a shame to lose it to a processional street circuit.
I like Silverstone as a track but the race was not very excting apart from the final drama.

Vasconia

Treble wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:38
hurril wrote:
Man, it was one of the few times that Kimi has beaten Sebastian, and this is one of his weakest tracks. We didn´t see Sebastian´s true pace. On the other hand, his battle with Verstappen was the best thing of the race.

Vasconia

gastonmazzacane wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:52
Stormy wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:23
All the issues Merc had are no more. No tire issues, no aero issues in slow corners, NOTHING.
Ferrari are out-developed again. We'll see in Hungary but it looks like they have to work extremely hard during the summer break.
It's called ''a break'' for a reason. :)
Teams are already working to introduce important updates after this "break". I guess there is some home made work too. :mrgreen:

djos

Epic drive by Danny Ric! Driving from the back of the grid to 5th and only 13 seconds behind Max at the end!

Some great racing thru the field too and awesome job by Bottas to drive his way onto the podium, he's really surprising me this year as I really didnt think he had this kind of spirit. He gets Quote of the day imo too - "Minimal talking please" :D Just brilliant!
"In downforce we trust"

Big Mangalhit

djos wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:36
Epic drive by Danny Ric! Driving from the back of the grid to 5th and only 13 seconds behind Max at the end!

Some great racing thru the field too and awesome job by Bottas to drive his way onto the podium, he's really surprising me this year as I really didnt think he had this kind of spirit. He gets Quote of the day imo too - "Minimal talking please" :D Just brilliant!
I agree, unfortunately I think race direction paid way too little attention to Danny Ric. I wanted to see way more of him this weekend

TwanV

djos wrote:

Battle comms please! :)

EDIT: not entirely sure how big this achievement is, BOT on VET maybe.. but still a DRS pass.

ThumbsUp

djos wrote:

Ric did a great race! those 13sec are because of the exrtra pitstop Max had to take. Otherwise you should ad another 25 sec to it. And overall no one gave Ric a hard time passing most of it was crussing past other cars. But you still have to do it though and he could be going for 4th if he didn't make that mistake in the beginning by going through the gravel.