HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

If the car is upside down then isn't the car earthed theough contact with the ground ?? Its when its on the wheels and upright that its isolated from the ground with the tyres.

I think.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 00:50
I am applying to work on the medical teams at Silverstone, if I'm successful then it will be very interesting to see how we would extracate an unconscious driver following an accident where we had to assume head/spinal injuries...
Uhm... just as they do now, lifting them out gently with their chair.

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 23:46
So in the past, 5 seconds maximum is the time for a driver to get out. Lets make things safer and make it double the time to get out.

Morons, f$@king morons

I really want to know about an upside down Halo car. Cant see how you can get out.
The cars will look like turd, so it has to exit from the bottom. :wink:

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 11:17
adrianjordan wrote:
I am applying to work on the medical teams at Silverstone, if I'm successful then it will be very interesting to see how we would extracate an unconscious driver following an accident where we had to assume head/spinal injuries...
I'm not saying they won't, what I am saying is that I will be interested to see the how of it, as I don't see the seat fitting through the Halo and so there would have to be some easy release system for the halo that is still capable of withstanding the sorts of forces it's designed to protect against...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

marmer

Just imagine the anger if a halo came loose during a race

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 11:38
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 23:46
So in the past, 5 seconds maximum is the time for a driver to get out. Lets make things safer and make it double the time to get out.

Morons, f$@king morons

I really want to know about an upside down Halo car. Cant see how you can get out.
The cars will look like turd, so it has to exit from the bottom. :wink:

Haha =D> nice

Edit: the clapping smiley face is not working for me.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Moose

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 23:57
the biggest questions for me still is completely unanswered and fully ignored by the FIA [who are responsible for safety!];
1) driver extraction in an upside-down position with spine/neck injury.. are they going to flip the car back in position? despite spine/neck damage? how about when accompanied by fire?
When was the last time that happened? The most recent I can think of is I can't think of a single incident of a car being flipped, and remaining that way up in the last 40 years. In comparison, the number of object to the head accidents is pretty large.

As a result, I think it's entirely reasonable to bias safety precautions towards defending against the more commonly fatal accident.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Manoah2u

i can't see sh**. show me actual stuff, mr. croft.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:43
Jolle wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 11:17
adrianjordan wrote:
I'm not saying they won't, what I am saying is that I will be interested to see the how of it, as I don't see the seat fitting through the Halo and so there would have to be some easy release system for the halo that is still capable of withstanding the sorts of forces it's designed to protect against...
It looks to me that the top of the halo is more or less the same size as the cockpit opening. So no point to have it detachable.

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 23:57
so that's double in time than before. which was unacceptable first, due to the risk of on-track collision whilst escaping and fire hazards. that means either the standard of before was exegerated in the neccesity to escape a [fire] hazard,or because of the halo they'll now get burnt to a crisp or get tossed through the air when another car hits the car they're escaping.in other words, they're making it a deathtrap.

pretty harsh and negative way to look at it i know but isn't that actually the truth?

also, how are they going to escape when upside down? for example, Alonso's accident?

the biggest questions for me still is completely unanswered and fully ignored by the FIA [who are responsible for safety!];
1) driver extraction in an upside-down position with spine/neck injury.. are they going to flip the car back in position? despite spine/neck damage? how about when accompanied by fire?
2) driver escaping the vehicle in an upside-down position. will it even be physically possible to escape the car through that tiny opening upside down? if not, then HOW ON EARTH are they going to escape? again, marshalls flipping a car that now weighs 733+ KGS +driver = about 800 KGS! [how many do they need?] ? and mind you HYBRID cars, with electric shock danger? what if the light is red on the T-cam? we're going to see marshalls need to get executed/electrocuted live on TV because of some hasty implemented lunatic device?
or with a crane? how fast is that crane going to get there? how will it flip the car without it being able to connect to the rollhoop? how much time will that cost, how politely will that go?
and above all, wouldn't that bring [exactly the danger] on track that was responsible for bianchi's death? a heavy front loader recovery truck? causing all sorts of potential deaths along the way?
will we then see when a car is upside down or with the driver not able to leave like they could up untill now get a RED FLAG? so we have a clear track? i mean, if the car's upside down on the track [monaco, singapore, but any for that matter] then surely we're not going to have a VSC or a SC whilst a [deadly, heavy, helmetcrushing, murdering] caterpillar power loader truck is on track, right?
I don't think the FIA are thinking straight. The implementation feels too drastic. F1 cars have been open cockpit for ages and I think that's how it should be IMO. If the HALO had to be introduced, then it should have been introduced ages ago.

Kyalami 5 March 1977. Tom Price struck a track marshall carrying a extinguisher who crossed the track on the fastest section of the circuit: The main straight of start/finish. What they've learned after accident was that extensive and more advanced training was needed for track marshalls, in which they have implemented. One just doesn't simply cross the track without looking cautiously if there are oncoming cars. Also new FIA approved driver helmets were mandatory for drivers. Tom Pryce wore an old helmet. Cars remained as they were, no HALO device or such.

Fastforward to Suzuka 5 October 2014. The race was ran in the aftermath of a typhoon who brought a lot of rain. To let the race start/continue was marginal. A lot of standing rain, bad visibility and the darkness are the reasons. Jules Bianchi had hit a crane in a high speed accident. What I thought was shocking is despite the conditions on the race track, there was no safety car deployed in a fast flowing section of the circuit where track marshalls and a crane had to be deployed to remove Sutil's Sauber.

What I make out of this all regarding safety:
- Should the race have continued with the conditions it was in? Typhoon, intensive rain, bad visiblity and darkness?
- In those conditions should a safety car not be mandatory once a crane needed to be deployed on circuit?

In my opinion the cars don't need to be adapted so the driver should survive a +250g crash on the open area of the cockpit. My view is that protocols need to be mandatory once certain situations occur in bad track conditions. Safety car should deployed mandatory once a crane needs to be deployed for example.

What about bad visibility and darkness? I suppose that safety car has automatic headlights. Once those are turned on automatically, I believe it's too dark too race. Add to the bad visibility of rain and spray. No need to think twice.

So for me it's still a too drastic decision to introduce the HALO.

NathanOlder

I cant make out whats going on there. The car needs to be upside down in a gravel trap. And we want to see a video so we can all see how much of a struggle it will be
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

F1NAC

Magnussen's take on HALO

https://streamable.com/j8arw

Moose

WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 17:35
In my opinion the cars don't need to be adapted so the driver should survive a +250g crash on the open area of the cockpit.
I don't understand why people keep hoisting up this straw man, and then beating it down.

Repeat after me: THE HALO IS NOT INTENDED TO PROTECT AGAINST THE KIND OF CRASH JULES BIANCHI WAS INVOLVED IN.

RS200E

F1NAC wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 19:12
Magnussen's take on HALO

https://streamable.com/j8arw
"If it looks sh!it, it is sh!t".

Very last words of the press conference :lol:
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!