2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 05:00
I watched highlights of this race again, now with a smile on my face :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Did Vettel get a 3 race ban this time around ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 09:47
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I watched highlights of this race again, now with a smile on my face :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I doubt it. However looking back at this thread, bearing in mind how Vettel dealt with the SC in Brazil and the fact we then had total silence on the Brazil thread from those blaming Hamilton for Baku on this one. Well I think the word one is looking for is hypocrisy from the said posters and Vettel.

This isn't me trolling BTW this is just me pointing it out.

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:55
NathanOlder wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I doubt it. However looking back at this thread, bearing in mind how Vettel dealt with the SC in Brazil and the fact we then had total silence on the Brazil thread from those blaming Hamilton for Baku on this one. Well I think the word one is looking for is hypocrisy from the said posters and Vettel.

Very well put +1
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u

Restomaniac wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:55
NathanOlder wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

can't argue there, 100% the truth.
Vettel admitted himself his actions in Baku cost him the championship.

he would have had the full 25 points guaranteed with Hamilton's headrest issue and it would have meant Brazil was still a championship decider instead already dusted. Matter of fact, Hamilton's qualy crash had him coming all the way from the back, and Vettel was on on race day. It would have meant we would go into Abu Dhabi, the final race, being the championship decider.

Sure, Vettel would STILL be somewhat on the back foot, but still.
Ferrari's car problems later on were the nail in the coffin.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 12:20

Very well put +1
Manoah2u wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 13:20

can't argue there, 100% the truth.
Vettel admitted himself his actions in Baku cost him the championship.

he would have had the full 25 points guaranteed with Hamilton's headrest issue and it would have meant Brazil was still a championship decider instead already dusted. Matter of fact, Hamilton's qualy crash had him coming all the way from the back, and Vettel was on on race day. It would have meant we would go into Abu Dhabi, the final race, being the championship decider.

Sure, Vettel would STILL be somewhat on the back foot, but still.
Ferrari's car problems later on were the nail in the coffin.
I actually commented 'Vettel you're a god damn hypocrite' live at the time. Vettel's was worse as he actually had the entire field pretty much stop on the track instead of just slowing them down. After his dummy spit in Baku. Rather amazing.

drunkf1fan

The one issue there is we can't assume Hamilton would have been asked to pit had Vettel not been penalised. That is how it works, they found a way to punish Vettel with in their minds not effecting the championship. Hamilton was cruising out front ahead of Vettel, they spent something like 40 mins not punishing Vettel but they also didn't say no further action. Much like 2008 where Hamilton was being investigated for locking up and harming his championship(by boosting up Massa ahead of him), for an incident that wouldn't before and hasn't since been punished, the second they had a penalty come up for Massa they gave both drivers the same penalty, one for locking up and helping his title rival, one for deliberately leaving the track to hit his title rival after he passed him cleanly.

Here they were hoping something would happen that would make punishing Vettel 'okay', Hamilton failure, a crash. In this situation they were sitting on and not wanting to penalise Vettel and saw Hamilton's headrest as a chance to level the playing field. WIthout the penalty they may well have let Ham and Vettel run to the end and Hamilton would have left that race in a stronger position. I mean, it really didn't look like the thing was going to fly off and Kimi went round for ages with a piece of direct aero body work that was hanging on by a thread and wobbling and they didn't force him to come in despite the risk of debris on the track being substantially higher.

For me, they forced Hamilton to pit because it created a situation in which they could give Vettel the harshest in race penalty that isn't a black flag and not really effect his position relative to Hamilton. Again like 2008, that the penalty was applied basically at the exact same time as Hamilton's on both occasions is what makes it so suspect, they waited and waited over a clear penalty in Baku while they waited and waited on Hamilton for something that clearly shouldn't get a penalty in Japan in 2008.

NathanOlder

Its hard to figure out with Fuji 08, Spa 08, and this years Baku, is it anti hamilton or pro ferrari ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u

Pro Ferrari without a single doubt. Vettel is simply the guy that gets the Ferrari to the front. The same guy however, vettel, also is the hothead that slammed into the side of Lewis, which with Alonso would not have happened. Alonso would have been on the radio furious and screaming , and perhaps even would have managed to push the FIA to investigate Lewis for 'blocking' or 'unneccesary slow' and it could even have resulted in a penalty for Lewis in that case. Instead, Vettel lost his mind and did the worst example of road rage. Well, Pastor Maldonado still has the Crown for that one in his GP2 outing, but still.

FIA mentioned they wanted to keep the championship alive, so yes, it is undoubtedly 100% pro-ferrari. In a way, that is oddly enough understandable because let's face it, had Vettel gotten a DSQ or a race ban for the next GP, the championship would have been decided atleast the very least a race earlier.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

foxmulder_ms

NathanOlder wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I am not spiritual but evidently through karma, YES. lol..

Phil

drunkf1fan wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 16:46
The one issue there is we can't assume Hamilton would have been asked to pit had Vettel not been penalised. That is how it works, they found a way to punish Vettel with in their minds not effecting the championship. Hamilton was cruising out front ahead of Vettel, they spent something like 40 mins not punishing Vettel but they also didn't say no further action. Much like 2008 where Hamilton was being investigated for locking up and harming his championship(by boosting up Massa ahead of him), for an incident that wouldn't before and hasn't since been punished, the second they had a penalty come up for Massa they gave both drivers the same penalty, one for locking up and helping his title rival, one for deliberately leaving the track to hit his title rival after he passed him cleanly.

Here they were hoping something would happen that would make punishing Vettel 'okay', Hamilton failure, a crash. In this situation they were sitting on and not wanting to penalise Vettel and saw Hamilton's headrest as a chance to level the playing field. WIthout the penalty they may well have let Ham and Vettel run to the end and Hamilton would have left that race in a stronger position. I mean, it really didn't look like the thing was going to fly off and Kimi went round for ages with a piece of direct aero body work that was hanging on by a thread and wobbling and they didn't force him to come in despite the risk of debris on the track being substantially higher.

For me, they forced Hamilton to pit because it created a situation in which they could give Vettel the harshest in race penalty that isn't a black flag and not really effect his position relative to Hamilton. Again like 2008, that the penalty was applied basically at the exact same time as Hamilton's on both occasions is what makes it so suspect, they waited and waited over a clear penalty in Baku while they waited and waited on Hamilton for something that clearly shouldn't get a penalty in Japan in 2008.
Spot on. Absolutely spot on.

The headrest issue was the game changer that in my eyes triggered Vettels penalty too. There was something extremely off by the duration it took for the stewards to act.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

This kid became a visual representation of Ferrari's season, certainly to anyone in this thread that so vehemently defended Vettel's action in this race.

On to 2018.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac

TAG wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 15:12
This kid became a visual representation of Ferrari's season.

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d ... cfc2e5.gif
True.
He also became one of the better sights too though. The look on his face when Kimi got him in the Ferrari garage was brilliant.