Paradise Papers claim Hamilton avoided paying £3.27 million in tax on his jet

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: Paradise Papers claim Hamilton avoided paying £3.27 million in tax on his jet

Turbo, i’m sorry, but politics extends to more than just left or right ideology. This topic has zero non political relevance.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Ennis

Re: Paradise Papers claim Hamilton avoided paying £3.27 million in tax on his jet

Phil wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:24
Turbo, i’m sorry, but politics extends to more than just left or right ideology. This topic has zero non political relevance.
I disagree.

If we were able to discuss this sensibly, around the machinations behind this, I'd say its a technical (if slightly off-topic) discussion.

Which I suppose begs the question - should we have a more visible (not hidden at the bottom of the forum) Off-Topic forum where people are more free to discuss things, which extend to politics, providing they do it in a civil and relatively technical/logic-based (not ideological) way?

ie. even a discussion which goes as political as a fight over political parties should be evidence based

CBeck113

I am amazed that so much effort is being put into proving that this is not adequate for this forum, but hardly anyone bats an eye when crap like this is posted:

"I doubt it. However looking back at this thread, bearing in mind how Vettel dealt with the SC in Brazil and the fact we then had total silence on the Brazil thread from those blaming Hamilton for Baku on this one. Well I think the word one is looking for is hypocrisy from the said posters and Vettel.

This isn't me trolling BTW this is just me pointing it out."

If you want a technical forum (Nomen est omen), then you should be just as vocal for these posts. And to avoid any Vettel vs Hamilton bullsh*t discussion, this is about criticizing other forum users and came from the race thread...but has nothing to do with a technical discussion.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Ennis

CBeck113 wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:09
I am amazed that so much effort is being put into proving that this is not adequate for this forum, but hardly anyone bats an eye when crap like this is posted:

"I doubt it. However looking back at this thread, bearing in mind how Vettel dealt with the SC in Brazil and the fact we then had total silence on the Brazil thread from those blaming Hamilton for Baku on this one. Well I think the word one is looking for is hypocrisy from the said posters and Vettel.

This isn't me trolling BTW this is just me pointing it out."

If you want a technical forum (Nomen est omen), then you should be just as vocal for these posts. And to avoid any Vettel vs Hamilton bullsh*t discussion, this is about criticizing other forum users and came from the race thread...but has nothing to do with a technical discussion.
We're definitely going way off-track in this thread now, but aren't the dedicated race threads largely non-technical (to the extent there were discussions on whether to just replace them with a chat window)?

I do think we need to have mixed standards (and I know I'm being too vague in the below - but I'll let someone else put it in to legal-speak more succinctly than I could)-
Engine, Aero, Hardware forums - very rigorously moderated.
General Chat - slightly less so on certain topics, but if someone posts a very technical topic it should be treated as such
Race Threads - stick to discusson related to the race, but doesn't need to be technical (perhaps have a 'live' thread and a technical race thread after the race has finished?)
Off-Topic - just don't kill anyone..

I think I just like the odd non-technical thread as I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of most on this forum, I signed up to learn rather than contribute, & the non-technical threads give me a chance to throw in my own opinion occasionally :) I'm selfish, basically.

les arcs

I do sometime wonder why this is called F1 technical forum......

NathanOlder

les arcs wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 17:52
I do sometime wonder why this is called F1 technical forum......
I also wonder that as the website logo looks like GPtechnical to me.

Also had a few notifications from this thread but nothing here when i arrive.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Shrieker

You're not using your power wisely.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

adrianjordan

dans79 wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 21:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 18:31
At the end of the day, it's Steven's garden and he makes the rules, but simpler rules are easier to follow and moderate. My position would be "no politics outside of F1" - the machinations between teams, the FIA, and Liberty are obviously politics that is expected on the site. Anything else isn't.
I agree.

If we where allowed to talk about semi political topics such as this, as long as we don't make political statements or denigrate others, I know what I would do.

I would post my countries tax brackets and ask people to justify the dramatic percentage differences in the amounts payed out in taxes. I'd add it always shocks people how low the bar for the highest tax bracket actually is.
I know. I'm just about managing and yet if I do some overtime I'm in the higher tax bracket. I can't even think about being able to buy a house because of the high cost of renting and the large deposit I'd need.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

henry

adrianjordan wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 22:52
dans79 wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 21:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 18:31
At the end of the day, it's Steven's garden and he makes the rules, but simpler rules are easier to follow and moderate. My position would be "no politics outside of F1" - the machinations between teams, the FIA, and Liberty are obviously politics that is expected on the site. Anything else isn't.
I agree.

If we where allowed to talk about semi political topics such as this, as long as we don't make political statements or denigrate others, I know what I would do.

I would post my countries tax brackets and ask people to justify the dramatic percentage differences in the amounts payed out in taxes. I'd add it always shocks people how low the bar for the highest tax bracket actually is.
I know. I'm just about managing and yet if I do some overtime I'm in the higher tax bracket. I can't even think about being able to buy a house because of the high cost of renting and the large deposit I'd need.
You may have missed that dans79 is in the USA, not U.K. The highest tax bracket he refers to is 39.6% and the shockingly low bar is variously $235k to $444k depending on marital status and arrangements.

In comparison your experience in the U.K. is a 40% rate payable above $42k. There is a higher rate of 45% payable above $195k.

I understand, and sympathise with, your issue with housing costs. I won’t comment further because that would be too political.

Edit: corrected UK 40% tax threshold
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

PlatinumZealot

This thread has no technical value and should be locked. It is just as relevant as a thread on Lewis Hamilton's earings.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 19:32
This thread has no technical value and should be locked. It is just as relevant as a thread on Lewis Hamilton's earings.
Well, it is in general chat which is meant for non-technical topics relating to F1.

roon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tax code is very technical. Or, at least, obscurantist. Both applicable to F1.

PlatinumZealot

roon wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 23:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Lewis private tax affairs are relevant to the FIA?? haha now that's pushing it!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

turbof1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 19:12
roon wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Not Lewis in specific, but it would be for instance interesting what kind of structures FOM and Liberty have in place for tax optimisation.

And yeah, both the terms obscurance and technical are applicable for both F1 and tax structures.

I think from those viewpoints these are acceptable topics. We aren't world changers here, we are a group with a healthy obsession for things shrouded in mystery and complexity, getting satisfaction out of unraveling it.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 19:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 19:12
roon wrote:

Not Lewis in specific, but it would be for instance interesting what kind of structures FOM and Liberty have in place for tax optimisation.

And yeah, both the terms obscurance and technical are applicable for both F1 and tax structures.

I think from those viewpoints these are acceptable topics. We aren't world changers here, we are a group with a healthy obsession for things shrouded in mystery and complexity, getting satisfaction out of unraveling it.
So, Turbo. You are saying then that a thread on the metallurgy of Lewis Hamilton's earrings should be relevant to the technical side of Formula 1? because you know, engine metallurgy and all that... :?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏