Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bosyber

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

I think that if Kubica gets the Wiliams seat next year, we won't have to worry about years after that with Williams - only thing keeping him back for now is being unproven to be (nearly?) back to old capabilities - a year in even a not great Williams will surely allow him to show he can at least get the most out of that, and lots more than Massa could - he might well have a few offers. Since this is currently his only option, on that front he doesn't have much to lose (I do understand he stands to lose quite a significant insurance payout for being permanently unable to drive in F1, but, that's understandably a tradeoff he's willing to make in order to drive).

Moose

My thinking based off the fact that he was turned down at Renault, and now Williams is saying "DiResta has a shot at the seat this year", is a strong indication that unfortunately. Kubica is not where he needs to be to get an F1 race seat.

Manoah2u

DiResta is not going to get a Williams race seat period. They're talking and saying things, perhaps even to keep him happy and throw him a bone so he can be a good little doggy. He's looking at Formula E as an 'option' too. You know, where you go as a formula driver when you know you will never return or enter F1 ever.

It's gonna come down to Massa, Wehrlein and Kubica.

I hope i'll be surprised but when Kubica was confirmed not to drive for Renault in 2018 despite all my hopes and certainties, i am rather sure he won't participate at all in 2018. Kubica probably will be too big of a risk for Williams and apart from that, it's Strollhouse, and Kubica is nobody's b*tch. So i think that is not gonna work. Leaves us with Massa who is anybody's b*tch but is embarassingly out of date. Leaves Wehrlein, who i think is also rather easily Stroll's lap dog, and is a Merc protegé so will fit in nicely.

Last but not least would be the supposed but totally misinterpreted Martini 25yo clause for which they need Di Resta, which is why he's being in talks but will end up in the role he has been fulfilling this year and will extend to next year and 'everybody's happy'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

Blick - not a lot of info, but Roger Benoit thinks the deal is almost done!

https://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/nass ... 89109.html

Manoah2u

I would surprise me, really. Positively, but i'd be surprised. Let's wait and see.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

adrianjordan

Sonador wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 00:19

Also Daddy Stroll denied Kubica to test after his son in a private test: https://www.pitpass.com/60194/Kubica-denied-Suzuka-test
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Why should he be expected to payroll Williams testing someone else?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 14:42
Unfortunately, there could very well be no loses and only wins for Williams, but at the same time, there could be loses for Kubica @ Williams in regards to it essentially being Stroll Martini Williams F1 racing for Lance Stroll. So whether Williams is the right environment for Kubica?

Outside of Renault, who though understandably yet unfortuantely have bailed, i can only see Haas F1 as a good base. Perhaps Haas would be even better then any of them.
Better a not so good environment than no environment.

I do hope Williams doesn´t become a team built around Stroll. It would be a sad farewell to a classic team.

mith

Williams announced Massa leaving at the end of 2017: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13283 ... nd-of-2017

I hope they're going with Kubica in 2018. There were some rumors that Kviat is now also in contention but he similarly to Wehrlein doesn't fulfill 25 years rule.

ChrisDanger

mith wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 16:06
Williams announced Massa leaving at the end of 2017: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13283 ... nd-of-2017

I hope they're going with Kubica in 2018. There were some rumors that Kviat is now also in contention but he similarly to Wehrlein doesn't fulfill 25 years rule.
Careful saying that around here.

FrukostScones

ChrisDanger wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 16:41
mith wrote:

Careful saying that around here.
yeah, of course they could hire him despite not fulfilling "25 years old Martini rule".
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Vasconia

mith wrote:

Rumours say he could even drive in Abu Dhabi. Spanish media, so don´t take it too seriously... :roll:

TAG

Posted this in the team thread but thought it's better served here in the dedicated discussion. Some rumblings on the internet about Robert Kubica joining Williams for 2018. Still looking for something from a mainstream source though. https://racingnews365.nl/breaking-rober ... j-williams
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

mith

Nickel

Don't think I saw it mentioned in the last couple weeks worth of posts but I read somewhere (maybe James Allen?) That Nico Rosberg has taken on a role in supporting Kubica's effort to return to F1. Furthermore it was stated that Nico has been instrumental in acquiring a ~8M sponsor package to go with Kubica. Hard to imagine that not going a long way to helping secure a seat. Williams seem as fond as anyone of such accoutrements coming with their drivers these days.

Manoah2u

mith wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 22:41
Some more gossips: https://www.rtlgp.nl/item/163905/rtl_gp ... j_williams
old news, they're just taking a fish out of the pond that has already been picked out before and act like it's news.
Nickel wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 06:42
Don't think I saw it mentioned in the last couple weeks worth of posts but I read somewhere (maybe James Allen?) That Nico Rosberg has taken on a role in supporting Kubica's effort to return to F1. Furthermore it was stated that Nico has been instrumental in acquiring a ~8M sponsor package to go with Kubica. Hard to imagine that not going a long way to helping secure a seat. Williams seem as fond as anyone of such accoutrements coming with their drivers these days.
and also that has been mentioned months ago.