Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Webber2011

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

Post by Webber2011 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 pm

restless wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:16 am
no shark fin... that's for sure :D
I wonder how big is this for aero?
My very basic understanding of it is it makes the car more stable in yaw.
So I'd like to think we will see the cars sliding a little more when cornering next year, but I'm sure the teams will recover whatever losses they incur somehow.

The top Aero guys are too smart to let the ban effect them too much.

roon

Post by roon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:37 pm
It's not a magic bullet feature and anyway would require the rest of the car to be copied in order to perform the same.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it seems like too much is made of systemic integration on these cars. I recall when RB re-introduced rear pullrods in '09. Many said this was brilliant and should be copied, many said it wasn't a "magic bullet." All the cars had pullrods within a year or so after, while maintaining geometrically distinct bodywork.

ringo

Post by ringo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am

The ferrari sidepods are a big deal.
We are forgetting how bad relative to mercedes ferrari chassis has been from 2014.
This feature put them on level with redbull chassis wise. That was never the case with any ferrari in almost ten years.
If a team wants to have a strong chassis they should definitely investigate the ferrari sidepods.

As said before, those pods are basically like having a rear wing in the middle of the car. Redbull has nothing to lose slapping them on their 2018 car. I said this about the mercedes wo7 strakes on the floor by the sidepods. People said last year they shouldnt be copied because it will affect this and that etc.. this year we had strakes all over the place.
By now we should accept that everything can be slapped on from car to car. That's just how aerodynamics work. You can refine and optimize later after you slap on a feature.
For Sure!!

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Those sidepods are really just everyones current concepts taken to the extreme anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them on more cars, they're really just an evolution of what they're already doing.

dren

Post by dren » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 pm

ringo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am
We are forgetting how bad relative to mercedes ferrari chassis has been from 2014.
This feature put them on level with redbull chassis wise. That was never the case with any ferrari in almost ten years.
If a team wants to have a strong chassis they should definitely investigate the ferrari sidepods.

As said before, those pods are basically like having a rear wing in the middle of the car. Redbull has nothing to lose slapping them on their 2018 car.
How are they like having a wing in the middle of the car? All they did was move the cooling intake higher so it was less obstructive to the flow around and under the pods to the rear.
Honda!

carisi2k

Post by carisi2k » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm

That bodywork at the front of the intake was also more draggy and hence why they struggled at monza and baku against the mercedes. It did help them in Melbourne, hungary, monaco and singapore.

roon

Post by roon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 am

ringo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am

As said before, those pods are basically like having a rear wing in the middle of the car. Redbull has nothing to lose slapping them on their 2018 car. I said this about the mercedes wo7 strakes on the floor by the sidepods. People said last year they shouldnt be copied because it will affect this and that etc.. this year we had strakes all over the place.
By now we should accept that everything can be slapped on from car to car. That's just how aerodynamics work. You can refine and optimize later after you slap on a feature.

In what sense do you think it is acting like a rear wing? As opposed to a front wing, or any other wing for that matter. Is this a comment on flow over the front corners of the floor? This flow structure has been around for many years in F1, as PhillipM just noted. The flick-ups on the outer edges of the floor and the ramps at the front provide the main airfoil shapes, as you know. So I don't totally disagree with you, the front floor corners act like wings.

FPV GTHO

Post by FPV GTHO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am

carisi2k wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm
That bodywork at the front of the intake was also more draggy and hence why they struggled at monza and baku against the mercedes. It did help them in Melbourne, hungary, monaco and singapore.
They could easily have struggled or succeeded on those tracks based on the shorter wheelbase relative to Mercedes.

dren

Post by dren » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

FPV GTHO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am
carisi2k wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm
They could easily have struggled or succeeded on those tracks based on the shorter wheelbase relative to Mercedes.
Mercedes ran their engines in higher power modes for Monza to show Mercedes dominance at Ferrari's home venue. Hamilton even made a snark comment about it on the podium.
Honda!

carisi2k

Post by carisi2k » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am

Mercedes had new engines at monza and not high power modes. Not even the customer Mercedes powered cars had the capabilities that the factory mercs had that weekend.