Injection seats - a halo alternative

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
roon

Injection seats - a halo alternative

Not ejection seats. Injection seats. To protect the drivers head, their seat can be reclined slightly. By modifying the fuel tank, an open volume can be created behind the driver. A hinged seat and actuator recline the seatback. The side headrests could be reinforced to further protect the driver's helmet.

This gets around excessively large structures such as canopies, aeroscreens, and halos, which end up looking disproportionately large upon the cars.

MadMatt

Re: Injection seats - a halo alternative

This is an active system, which means it has to be actuated ON TIME to work (as opposed to the passive Halo system). Very difficult I would say. Using a detection method to "see" objects that may impact the driver to move the driver down would probably lead to some unexpected behaviour (assuming the whole process is fast enough).

Imagine the driver in a 250km/h corner and suddenly the seat moves because of a plastic flying in front of the car.

I like the fact that you tried something new, but I don't think it would work.

turbof1

I agree, this might get triggered for the wrong reason. Also being that deep in the cockpit might hinder any view on the surroundings, which could create a dangerous situation on its own.

I believe Piola suggested an active system where deflectors would pop out of the front bulkhead. Although I still have my reservations with that, atleast that's a bit safer.

I like the idea though, it's really thinking out of the box. It actually could make for a very good solution if the car goes for instance airborn, or has a very heavy crash. Putting the driver deeper into the survival cell should provide more protection. in that case. I even believe this will reduce G forces on the neck because you should always be closer to the rotation point in case of a crash.

It also looks very cool. Reminds me of the batmobile!
#AeroFrodo

TalnoRacing

I agree with the other replies - this may add danger rather than reduce it if the intention is to protect the driver against flying debris. Your proposal may however assist in head protection during a roll over, which should be easier to detect. In F1 the Halo might add roll over protection, but in lower formula your proposal may be beneficial.

Well done for thinking outside the box and proposing something new.

roon

MadMatt wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 11:24
This is an active system, which means it has to be actuated ON TIME to work (as opposed to the passive Halo system). Very difficult I would say. Using a detection method to "see" objects that may impact the driver to move the driver down would probably lead to some unexpected behaviour (assuming the whole process is fast enough).

Imagine the driver in a 250km/h corner and suddenly the seat moves because of a plastic flying in front of the car.

I like the fact that you tried something new, but I don't think it would work.
As with the halo, this device would not be for small debris. I wrote the OP in haste and left out some of my thought process. You are correct though in your concerns regarding an active system. That said, consider the complexity of cars these days, a myriad of active systems all bound together. Do the gremlins lurk in those as well? Any one of them fault in the middle of Eau Rouge and it's "Eau Maird!"

The question remains, even if the injection seat is intended for large objects, tires, cars, trackside stuff: how to trigger it?

Could be driver controlled, for times when they are in an out of control slide and can see an impending impact.

If a driver cannot trigger the device, automation jumps in. One idea is to embed proximity beacons within known massive objects on the track. Wheels or uprights, chassis, support vehicles, etc. These could be detected car-to-car from within a short range, and also tracked by FIA HQ. A live safety network, informed by gps and these beacons and their sensors. When impact trajectories develop, the system would trigger.

Vertical acceleration or excessive yaw & pitch could also trigger it, indicating becoming airborne or rolling.

Optical or radar detection may need to be quite sophisticated as you elude to, but there is much industry currently focused on autonomous vehicles. Perhaps their expertise can be contracted for such an application.

Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by roon on 08 Dec 2017, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

LOL
(But AS alwaS great drawing skills)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

RedNEO

HAHA

I applaud this effort though, amazing attention to detail. I can see a driver like Kimi using this on the grid for a nap :lol:

JonoNic

Cool idea that could be better than the halo.

Can I add to this idea? Add High Definition screens inside the cockpit (for drivers to view out of) and permanently drop the driver like that (as you have drawn the driver in the lower position). Make the area of the cockpit next to their helmet see through so that spectators can identify the driver. It will still be an open cockpit and a passive safety system. Drivers can use the screens to "see through their legs". It could assist drivers on low visibility situations.

Always find the gap then use it.

notsofast

JonoNic wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 08:20
Add High Definition screens inside the cockpit (for drivers to view out of) and permanently drop the driver like that
And then the next step is to put those High Definition screens on the pitwall instead. All safety problems solved! :)

strad

Like I said before. Y'all are just pushing for remote control cars with no driver.
You guys want to eliminate all danger and that would be the only real solution.
Lets remove the drivers and move spectators to a theater where they can watch in complete safety far from the actual track.
Danger is what made F1 for 50 years and now all these people want to remove it completely.
To an old fart that has been following since the early 60s this is all really dumb.
AND NO I don't want to see anyone die but I also don't like seeing the sport emasculated.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JonoNic

strad wrote:Like I said before. Y'all are just pushing for remote control cars with no driver.
Lets remove the drivers and move spectators to a theater where they can watch in complete safety far from the actual track.
Danger is what made F1 for 50 years and now all these people want to remove it completely.
To an old fart that has been following since the early 60s this is all really dumb.
AND NO I don't want to see anyone die but I also don't like seeing the sport emasculated.
Like it or not the halo will be used in 2018 courtesy of the FIA. We are just looking for alternatives to that monstrosity. I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

roon

strad wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 20:57
Like I said before. Y'all are just pushing for remote control cars with no driver.
It is interesting. Think of how accepting of risk motorcycle racing is, by comparison. They have their helmets and leathers, but no odd looking carbon fiber protuberances or ungainly roll bars. Apples to oranges, but my point is about accepting risk.

JonoNic

Motogp does have those inflatable shoulder pads...

roon

If it were F1, those shoulder pads would be inflated all the time. :) Which leads us to the next crowd-sourced solution: sumo suits.

Nickel

JonoNic wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 21:15
strad wrote:Like I said before. Y'all are just pushing for remote control cars with no driver.
Like it or not the halo will be used in 2018 courtesy of the FIA. We are just looking for alternatives to that monstrosity. I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
I think he's barking up exactly the right tree. Halo is bad enough and especially heavy enough. How much do you think this automated lay-z-boy survival cell is going to weigh? And in car tv screens? You guys are losing the plot.