Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will have the better car in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda?

Poll runs till Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 pm

1. McLaren-Renault
72%
2. STR-Honda
28%

Total votes: 99

OneAlex

Re: Poll: who will be ahead in 2018, McLaren-Renault or STR-Honda

Post by OneAlex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm

McLaren-Renault, but only because they have the stronger driver line-up so will be better placed to maximise on points positions.

Webber2011

Post by Webber2011 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am

JonoNic wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:03 pm
I think you should allow for head and heart decisions. Head says Mclaren and heart says Honda
Nailed it :wink:

I voted STR for this very reason with my heart, and it was a huge argument with my head :lol:

tok-tokkie

Post by tok-tokkie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

To me McLaren is following in Williams footsteps. It is to be a Renault customer team. It will be confined to the mid-field customer teams. May start as the best of the mid field. Becoming a customer team has excluded them from being constructor champions and thus a bad decision. Only hope is if FIA can force engine parity.

Toro Rosso will become the Honda works team. And that is just the prelude before Red Bull becomes the Honda works team. Next year Toro Rosso will have both Honda & Red Bull on their side.

Manoah2u

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 am

Mclaren will beat Toro Rosso without effort. Their chassis is fantastic, and how could it not, they have much more to spend and much more knowledge to put in their car so it'll technically be better in every way, then Mclaren has ALONSO as a driver with VanDoorne. Toro rosso has Gasly and Hartley. Both as talented and promising as the bark of a tree. the final wildcard is the engine. If Honda takes on where they left last year, then TR is gonna be seriously far to the back. The Renault engine is a good stable engine and will bring Mclaren towards the front of the midfield atleast, perhaps even a fight against RB. TR has no chance.

UNLESS for some reason the Honda engine is going to be absolute mad props crazy strong and fast, which i'm sure won't be the case. If it is, they'll dance around everybody.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Webber2011

Post by Webber2011 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Manoah2u wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 am
Mclaren will beat Toro Rosso without effort. Their chassis is fantastic, and how could it not, they have much more to spend and much more knowledge to put in their car so it'll technically be better in every way, then Mclaren has ALONSO as a driver with VanDoorne. Toro rosso has Gasly and Hartley. Both as talented and promising as the bark of a tree. the final wildcard is the engine. If Honda takes on where they left last year, then TR is gonna be seriously far to the back. The Renault engine is a good stable engine and will bring Mclaren towards the front of the midfield atleast, perhaps even a fight against RB. TR has no chance.

UNLESS for some reason the Honda engine is going to be absolute mad props crazy strong and fast, which i'm sure won't be the case. If it is, they'll dance around everybody.
The bit I bolded gives me a bit of a laugh :lol:

This season just passed Renault engines were a hell of a long way from "stable"

mclaren111

Post by mclaren111 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm

tok-tokkie wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am
To me McLaren is following in Williams footsteps. It is to be a Renault customer team. It will be confined to the mid-field customer teams. May start as the best of the mid field. Becoming a customer team has excluded them from being constructor champions and thus a bad decision. Only hope is if FIA can force engine parity.

Toro Rosso will become the Honda works team. And that is just the prelude before Red Bull becomes the Honda works team. Next year Toro Rosso will have both Honda & Red Bull on their side.

Renault is interim solution (3 years). With new 2021 PU rules who knows what PU they will use. Cosworth have been mentioned. Zak Brown is apparently a shareholder.

HondaRaceReplica

Post by HondaRaceReplica » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 pm

tok-tokkie wrote:

Yes please :mrgreen:

RedNEO

Post by RedNEO » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

tok-tokkie wrote:

Two Redbull teams with Honda engines for 2019 is a interesting notion. Could be a new record for grid penalties in a season.

RonDennis

Post by RonDennis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 am

You must be delusional to think that Toro Rosso has a chance. They won't even have a chance with Mercedes power.

Toro Rosso has significantly less money, less staff, worse drivers, worse staff and worse facilities than McLaren.

f1316

Post by f1316 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 am

tok-tokkie wrote:

I think there’s a reason why Mercedes wouldn’t supply mclaren (or Red Bull) but are happy with Williams.

It’s a different proposition given the budget and strength of the chassis - much more like Red Bull than Williams.

For the poll, I really don’t think there’s any question - mclaren will be fighting for podiums, at least at some stage of the season; I believe TR will be the new backmarkeds, back to their Minardi days.