Carbon nanotubes tires extremely sticky and longlasting?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: Carbon nanotubes tires extremely sticky and longlasting?

Tim.Wright wrote:
17 Aug 2013, 18:59
The thing is, with a single tyre supplier, there is no pressure on the tyre manufacturers to develop any new technologies. That is not a swipe against the single tyre supplier rule, its just the fact of the situation.

I don't know where our friend got this idea from (actually judging on all of his other similar topics I'm convinced he is under the influence of some kind of Hallucinogen) but any development like this would be the job of a university or similar research institute.
With Hamilton's quote saying that the HyperSoft is Pirelli's "best tyre, yet", I would have to believe that the single supplier limitation is slowing down development, but it is definitely not stopping it.

Andres125sx

Zynerji wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 00:57
I would have to believe that the single supplier limitation is slowing down development
So you think a single supplier is developing at the same rate he´d do with some direct rival fighting with him for victories? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

humble sabot

There are consumer tyres available with graphene, i think its sheet like qualities make it better suited to tyre applications, while nanotubes seem to have found their greatest use as admixture in resins for composites.

F1 tyre manufacture is notoriously secretive, so we don't know what they're using.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

flynfrog

cerm66 wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 12:03
flynfrog wrote:
17 Aug 2013, 18:51
why do you think we will ever have or need carbon nanotube tires. They really haven't proven good for anything in the real world.
Cant remember the name but I heard that back then when one businessman was asked to finance the development of one of the first cars, he said that it is nonsense with no use anyway. :D There are many and many interesting concepts for the new generation of nano-materials so I wouldn't throw it from the table so easily. There are already businesses tailoring these nanotubes for all kinds of purposes. Lets see what they gonna come up with.
you do realize you are quoting a 4 year old post right? At the time of my posts there wasn't much use for them. Lots have changed in 4 years. Yet they are still not used in tires to my knowledge.

flynfrog

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 19:01
flynfrog wrote:
18 Aug 2013, 19:22
Graphite/Carbon
Graphite (commonly called "carbon") fiber

Code: Select all

Contains no ingredients now known to be hazardous by OSHA. 
The normal cutting of the fiber, either [color=#FF0000]with scissors or razor blade[/color]
is suspected of generating small amounts of possibly respirable fibers.
We believe that such fiber cutting should be done in a ventilated hood
facility.

Potential Health Effects:

Eye: Dust may cause eye irritation
Skin Contact: Dust may cause skin irritation.
Skin Absorption: Not expected to be a major route of entry.
Ingestion: Not known
Inhalation: Small graphite fibers or dust are suspected as being possible inhalation hazards.
Chronic effects: A review of the literature does not show obvious long term hazard.
Carcinogenicty: No component known to be present in this product and is at > 0.1% is presently listed as a carcinogen by IARC or OSHA unless other wise noted.

Routes of exposure:
Inhalation
Permissible exposure:
15 MCCPF OSHA TWA, 10 mg/m3 ACGIH TWA (Total Dust)

CIRCLA Hazard Ratings:
Toxicity: 1 Ingnitgability: 0 Reactivity: 0 Persistence: 3

Toxicological Information:
Graphite causes benign pneumoconiosis (graphitosis). Symptoms of
pneumoconiosis from graphite exposure are dypsnea, coughing, black sputum,
bronchitis, ventricular hypertropy and impairment of pulmonary function.
X-rays will show progressive nodulation of the lungs. The theshold limit
value was set in conformity with the limit for free crystalline silica,
which may be present in graphite.

Incompatibilies:
Strong oxidizers,fluorine, peroxides

Route of entry: Inhalation, Skin or eye contact.
Target organs: Lungs, Cardiovascular system.

Symptoms:
Coughing, forceful expiration. Dyspnea, difficulty in breathing.
Black sputum, black colored expectorate. Bronchitis, inflamed bronchial
mucous membranes, pulmonary fibrosis, fibrous tissue involving lungs.
Pneumoconiosis, degenerative respiratory disease.

First Aid Measures
Eyes: In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with copious amounts of
flowing water for at least 15 minutes, retracting eye lids often.
Get medical attention immediately. Contact lenses should not be
worn when working with this product.

Skin: Wash skin thoroughly with mild soap and water. Flush with luke warm
water for 15 minutes. 

Inhalation: If large amounts of the dust are inhaled, move the exposed
person to fresh air at once. If symptoms persist contact
physician.

Ingestion: Not known

Storage and handling:
Store in the plastic bags in which the product is shipped, tightly sealed.

Exposure Controls and Personal Protection
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):

Eye/Face Protection:
ANSI 87.1 approved safety glasses with side shield when sharpening these
rods, either with razor blade or carbon rod sharpener or plain wood file.

Skin Protection:
No particular protection needed when handling this material on an
occasional basis. For converting bulk rolls of the fiber into smaller
packs, we recommend the wearing of some kind of gloves, for example,
latex gloves.

Respiratory Protection:
For the occasional cutting of a fiber, special protection is not
needed, provided it is done in a chemical fume hood with exhaust.

Other: None known
With scissors or razor blade? There´s (almost) no dust when you cut with scissors or a razor blade. I gues that must be refering to cutting carbon clothes, not carbon fiber finished (with resin).

But when cutting a finished product with CNC, dremel or sanding carbon parts, that´s a different matter

I´m posting this because I cut carbon fiber frequently, and always use my vacuum cleaner to put it next to the cutting/sanding point so it does absorb all dust, and the vacuum cleaner at the window with the air exit facing out, as I´m not sure the filters can take the carbon dust...

What about carbon brakes? I wondered about that sometime. On a crash I agree there´s no significant carbon dust, but F1 brakes are made of carbon, suffer massive wear (the whole discs each GP), and all that dust goes directly to the driver behind. Sometime it´s even visible, and at those speeds if we can see the dust, I guess it´s not that negligible...
I work in an aerospace composite production facility. There is pretty much no amount of carbon you are processing on your own that I would even worry about. Its the resin you are using and if you have proper PPE.

Andres125sx

flynfrog wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 15:23
Andres125sx wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 19:01
With scissors or razor blade? There´s (almost) no dust when you cut with scissors or a razor blade. I gues that must be refering to cutting carbon clothes, not carbon fiber finished (with resin).

But when cutting a finished product with CNC, dremel or sanding carbon parts, that´s a different matter

I´m posting this because I cut carbon fiber frequently, and always use my vacuum cleaner to put it next to the cutting/sanding point so it does absorb all dust, and the vacuum cleaner at the window with the air exit facing out, as I´m not sure the filters can take the carbon dust...

What about carbon brakes? I wondered about that sometime. On a crash I agree there´s no significant carbon dust, but F1 brakes are made of carbon, suffer massive wear (the whole discs each GP), and all that dust goes directly to the driver behind. Sometime it´s even visible, and at those speeds if we can see the dust, I guess it´s not that negligible...
I work in an aerospace composite production facility. There is pretty much no amount of carbon you are processing on your own that I would even worry about. Its the resin you are using and if you have proper PPE.
PPE? :?:

So it´s the resin what is harmful?

flynfrog

Personal Protective Equipment.

You generally want to avoid skin contact with the uncured resin.

PlatinumZealot

g-force_addict wrote:
17 Aug 2013, 14:07
Will F1 lead the development of carbon nanotube tires?
Would these tires be extremely sticky and longlasting compared to regular f1 tires?

While carbon nanotubes may be harmful to humans, pretty much like asbestos, research shows this can be prevented by using short length nanotubes.
They would get too cold maybe ha. We can't make them into fabric at the moment so they can't be useful as tyre reinforcement. In their powerdered or needle forms, they are not very useful tyres I suspect. Maybe If you interlink them and put them in the rubber matrix though it could make sort of an anti-damping effect?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏